Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC300h v. IS300h New Car Choice

Having noticed that some dealers are looking, presumably because of low sales, to shift the RC300h with substantial discounts (up to 17-18%),

I have been vaguely toying with the idea of replacing my present IS300h, with 75000km on the clock, with one.  To be honest, my attraction is based

entirely on the RC's looks, the differences in performance, at least on paper pending a test-drive, appearing to be fairly marginal.  Should I perhaps

better wait for the IS facelift and then think again, or should I go ahead and take a closer look at the RC now? 

i find the IS a very beautiful car but the RC is just drop dead gorgious.. in the right color / wheel combination this is a machine that gets noticed. It will be cramped inside and unpractical and i dont think i could live with that but if no problem for you i suggest to go for it! 

a coupe needs to be better looking than its sedan sibling and oh yes it delivers! ( like it in sonic blue with creme leather).

I toyed with the idea myself having only had the IS300H in the F-Sport guise from new only a few months.  It seems at least my dealer isn't prepared to offer a like for like deal or better in the 3 year PCP I have.   I think a swap would only satisfy the exterior looks department too but am interested to see what you decide. 

Drivetrain is the same but the car is heavy so don't expect the same performance or economy. It's not a car to chuck through the turns either because of its weight whereas the IS can go round slow bends pretty quick! 

RC is only 25kg heavier than IS (F-sport) so will only make a slight difference.

I have driven both and performance is very similar. I honestly feel the RC performance in 300h guise is a bit underwhelming for what is a very sporty looking coupe.

3 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Step up in what way apart from the exterior looks department?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Compared to the pre-facelift IS, the same trim levels on the RC have higher spec as standard. For example, the F-Sport gets the AVS and LED headlamps as well as leather seats. The seats and AVS are options and the LED's aren't available whatsoever.

However, with the facelift IS, spec will probably become closer between it and the RC. Leather seats will still be an option but not sure on the AVS and LED's on the F-Sport. Of course, the facelift IS also comes with safety system + as standard whereas you need to opt for the Premier and then add ACC on the RC.

12 hours ago, Martin F said:

RC is only 25kg heavier than IS (F-sport) so will only make a slight difference.

I have driven both and performance is very similar. I honestly feel the RC performance in 300h guise is a bit underwhelming for what is a very sporty looking coupe.

The IS300h shows kerb weight between 1620-1720kg

The RC300h shows 1736 - 1775kg.

Its not much of a difference but it will have some of an impact. I think the main issue is probably with the weight distribution. Im sure the IS300h has 50:50 weight distribution (it was in an Alex Wurz video I think) whereas no mention of that in terms of the RC and I highly doubt it anyway.

Rc is a nice looking car, but impratical when parking in bays. As if someone parks anywhere near you, you'd need to be a contortionist to get in. Due to the large and thick doors, yes the IS are thick, but not so big. Even if you can get in the passenger side, you'd be pretty agile to get over tthe center console :)

David.

6 minutes ago, Deadloak said:

Rc is a nice looking car, but impratical when parking in bays. As if someone parks anywhere near you, you'd need to be a contortionist to get in. Due to the large and thick doors, yes the IS are thick, but not so big. Even if you can get in the passenger side, you'd be pretty agile to get over tthe center console :)

David.

Only seen a RC in the showroom. David is correct, same applies to my IS250 convertible.  Very large doors and a centre console which is insurmountable.

I'd still have one if I could afford one though :yes:.

Never ever seen a RC on the road, so you would be guaranteed exclusivity.

On the other hand, there must be reasons why the car isn't popular, despite its looks and cheapish running costs.

Only approx 500 RC licensed on UK roads according to this website

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=lexus+rc&commit=Search

so, quite exclusive :) Why? Possibly because it's just a two seater with a smallish boot, got to be a niche market? Not likely to be an only car for most?

That said there are three of us in my locale...

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Never ever seen a RC on the road, so you would be guaranteed exclusivity.

On the other hand, there must be reasons why the car isn't popular, despite its looks and cheapish running costs.

Ive seen 2 now. Both were F-Sport, one in black and another in blue.

They're pretty much a 2 seater as the rear seats are unusable if the driver is anything over 5 ft 10. Not exactly practical with a small boot too.

Don't know many people who have a coupe as their only car TBH

Been up to Chester today.  Saw my first RC heading out of Chester on the Wrexham Road, didn't catch the model but it was white. This was about 11:00am today, anyone on here ?

Mrs Ledzep and I manage with our 250C as our only car....it does have a very large boot mind.  Rear seats are ok for adults for a short run....greatest difficulty is climbing in and out !!

57 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Been up to Chester today.  Saw my first RC heading out of Chester on the Wrexham Road, didn't catch the model but it was white. This was about 11:00am today, anyone on here ?

Mrs Ledzep and I manage with our 250C as our only car....it does have a very large boot mind.  Rear seats are ok for adults for a short run....greatest difficulty is climbing in and out !!

I probably should have clarified. I don't know anyone who has a coupe as a single car and has a family of 3 or 4.

Eapecially as the RC is somewhat designed for younger buyers (I'd presume around 30-40 year olds) it becomes quite impractical. 

My brother in law has 5 kids and manages with an Audi S5 but that's because he has a big Q7 taking up the whole drive as well

40 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I probably should have clarified. I don't know anyone who has a coupe as a single car and has a family of 3 or 4.

Haha, yes, just the two of us here.  Looking to change next year, probably to an RX, our backs would prefer something a little higher.  Wouldn't say no to an RC if it was in budget though......

9 hours ago, steveledzep said:

I've seen a white one a few times there. The one I've seen is an RCF with the number plate

TH15 RCF.  

2 hours ago, tayaste said:

I've seen a white one a few times there. The one I've seen is an RCF with the number plate

TH15 RCF.  

Nice number.  I was going in the opposite direction so didn't spot any detail..

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Well would you believe it!? - After my comment of yesterday, I saw a black RC-F on the M3 near Winchester at 5.30 this morning!!!

Must be national RC-F month or something!

Saw a Sonic Red RC-F today - looked absolutely insane - thats my colour of choice for sure, I like it more than the blue!

• Like 1

Would love a RCF but as everyone is saying it's hugely impactle when you have a family. That said I think it's possible to have both a sensible car and a not so sensible one. Shame the price of the RCF puts it out in never never land :( back to looking for a half decent Honda S2000 with no comfort to speak of

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk