Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 tyres sizes

Mine has different sized tyres on front and rear, Advance, the spec for the tyres are in your door jam on a sticker along with the tyre pressures.

The reason has been discussed before but I can't remember the reason behind it :lol:

The reason behind it is that the car can get better grip through the rear tyres which are driven to put all the power down.
 Its a common setup on RWD cars and has actually made it to some FWD cars (although its the front's which are thicker on these such as the RS3)

Although rotation is common practice, its not recommended by tyre companies. Makes sense as well, its better having 2 tyres which are 8mm and 2 on 4mm than all 4 on 4 mm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Is there any reason you couldn't fit the same tyre size all round? 

Doesn't the GS version run the same tyres front and rear?

Depends on which trim it is on the GS. I think the Luxury runs the same tyre size all the way around whereas the F-Sport and Premier definitely have different sizes front and back.

You can theoretically run the same tyre size all the way around, the only problem is that the rears will have a stretched appearance as the actual alloy wheel is wider than the front alloy. And Id also presume that insurance wont be too pleased.

Hi,with regard to running the same size all round ,when I purchased my IS 250 SE-L convertible ,it was fitted with lexus 18 in GS wheels which are 8J all round instead of 8J front and 81/2 J rear ,which means I have 245 x40 x 18 tyres on all 4 wheels .These were fitted by the Lexus dealer and are noted on their annual service sheet together with the tread depth . they were not concerned when I asked them and said some customers fit 225 x 40 all round .Car seems O K to me but I have not known it any different they have been on for nearly 5 years ,and are soon due a replacement when I will have to make a decision on sizes

DAVE

So just checked, mine has 225 45 R17 on the front and 245 45 R17 on the rear.

Just makes life slightly more complicated, along with what brand to replace them with. My local Lexus garage says Continental or Michelin, others say Dunlop or Nexen ...I might get Pirelli as they seem priced competitively and I fancy a change

8 hours ago, djkenn said:

So just checked, mine has 225 45 R17 on the front and 245 45 R17 on the rear.

Just makes life slightly more complicated, along with what brand to replace them with. My local Lexus garage says Continental or Michelin, others say Dunlop or Nexen ...I might get Pirelli as they seem priced competitively and I fancy a change

I would be going uniroyal rainsport 3. Available in both sizes and is a great tyre

I decided to stick with Michelin Primacy 3. As the fronts have a fair amount of wear left I needed to match front to rear. Or what was in my mind, if you have to hit the brakes on the M11 at 630am in the dark and rain because a Transit van driver has just done some kind of homicidal lane change, you want the best chance of driving away in one piece.

On 10/26/2016 at 3:47 PM, bobmc said:

Is there any reason you couldn't fit the same tyre size all round? 

Doesn't the GS version run the same tyres front and rear?

IS 250 AWD actually has all same size tires on 17 inch rims.

I would go for Dunlops, but Michelin, Pirelli and Continentals all be almost the same, just different price. Fore price/value there is wide choice.. like Avon, Uniroyal, Nokian an many others. Nexen is completely different league of budget tires so not to be mentioned with the bunch of premium ones and not even value ones.

P.S. this is 2IS thread so it would be sensible to move it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted a set of winter tyres yesterday, 245/40/R18 all round... unfortunately the fronts were catching at times (turning right but not when turning left?)

So it's back to the standard wheels for now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links