Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey folks,

Just picked myself up a lovely 1996 GS300 which only came with 1 Lexus Key. I'm trying to remember what keys my LS400 came with as it was the same year, and I'm sure it was a 3 button key.

I've read a bunch of threads, but don't seem to be any closer to finding out which key/remote thingy I need for the car. The existing key doesn't have any buttons, but looks identical to the Lexus key that normally has a single button on the side. This key opens and starts the car fine, but I would like to get a remote that works, and have a spare key.

So, does anyone know definitively which key or fob I should be getting?

From what I remember for the mk1, The key has a transponder in it for the immobiliser (there is a pickup ring round the ignition barrel), and there are two versions of the key. One does everything, the other is a valet type (doesn't do boot or glovebox). The remotes are separate.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Thanks Tiger. I think the key I have is the 'does everything'. IIRC the valet key is grey, and the one I have is black and opens everything.

If anyone happens to have a fob for a MK1 knocking around, pics or model numbers would be enormously appreciated so I can find a replacement. I've got the recoding document...just need the correct fob :)