Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MoT Advisories on suspension

IanA2

MoT came up with a few surprises, see pic. Before I approach any garage(s) for opinions/prices, has anyone had similar issues?

Would be nice to know just how deep the mud is before I venture into a field which is new for me.

Thanks

2000 GS430 in otherwise good nick...

MoT.JPG

20 hours ago, IanA2 said:

MoT came up with a few surprises, see pic. Before I approach any garage(s) for opinions/prices, has anyone had similar issues?

Would be nice to know just how deep the mud is before I venture into a field which is new for me.

Thanks

2000 GS430 in otherwise good nick...

MoT.JPG

The lower ball joint is from £30 upwards for a non OEM part "Ebay" plus fitting. Any mechanic should be capable of replacing this in about an hour, but a check on the front tracking will be required. The anti roll bar bushes are easy to replace and are cheap to buy, but I would not replace these if they are not giving trouble.

John

Thanks. As the offside ball joint needs replacing, would it be necessary (or convention) to replace nearside at the same time do you think? And the struts, any view? I don't do huge mileage (under  5k pa)  maybe leave to next year???

Thanks again.

The ball joints do not seem to ware out in pairs so I would leave it. The struts are made of quite thick material, and I have never come across a failure/breakage due to rust usually round the bottom area mounting. A wire brush and some black flat "Hammeright" will protect them. Wait until they start leaking oil from the top as that will stop the rust at the bottom, and will then need to be changed anyway at about £300 each just for parts.

The tester has got the description wrong on the shock absorbers as they are not truly Macpherson struts.

John

• Like 1

Always find advisories a bit strange in general at times. For example, these cars don't have macpherson struts, so immaculate to say the least. It's almost like they feel obliged to put some down.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

Always find advisories a bit strange in general at times. For example, these cars don't have macpherson struts, so immaculate to say the least. It's almost like they feel obliged to put some down.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

So true, I had an SL60 that went to the same tester each year. Without fail there was a new advisory every year, but there was never any repetition. Neither was any of the work indicated ever undertaken. Confirmed as unnecessary by MB techie!

Interesting about the dodgy nomenclature. I know a fair bit about 50's to 80's m/c suspension, but almost zip about cars.

On 01/11/2016 at 6:49 PM, Britprius said:

The ball joints do not seem to ware out in pairs so I would leave it. The struts are made of quite thick material, and I have never come across a failure/breakage due to rust usually round the bottom area mounting. A wire brush and some black flat "Hammeright" will protect them. Wait until they start leaking oil from the top as that will stop the rust at the bottom, and will then need to be changed anyway at about £300 each just for parts.

The tester has got the description wrong on the shock absorbers as they are not truly Macpherson struts.

John

Someone is going to do this for me. I just need to supply the part. From eBay it seems that oem costs roughly twice non-oem. Is this an area where it must be oem or would the half price deal suffice? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 14.12.02.png

37 minutes ago, IanA2 said:

Someone is going to do this for me. I just need to supply the part. From ebay it seems that oem costs roughly twice non-oem. Is this an area where it must be oem or would the half price deal suffice? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 14.12.02.png

I believe the OEM parts are over priced , but many would disagree so the choice is your's.

I once had a Mazda that required a rear wheel bearing replaced. The dealers price was an eye watering £425. Being in industry at the time I sourced a bearing at "Bearing Services Ltd"  at a cost of £28, but being in a hurry near a bank holiday had to collect it from Fafnir bearings at Lichfield where the man on the trade counter said "next time you need one of these come direct as it will save you 30%".

After the old bearing was removed you've guest it. The OEM was a fafnir bearing.

John

• Like 1

Aye, we live in greedy times.

I think I'll go the discount way, it's an old car and if it packed up tomorrow it would owe me nothing. That said, I do like it very much, and our mileage is very modest so  expect it's longevity will surprise us. Engine (at 140K plus) is sweet as a nut and the body work is 99.5% rust free. 

That still works at around £44 which is much cheaper than main dealer prices. ive just ordered 8 denso irridum sparkplugs from them like i always do when i need to, £41 including delivery, better than paying £60 - £80 here in uk

• 3 weeks later...

In the MoT posted above, it cites "strong advice" on the ball joint issue. I'd be grateful if folks could tell me how they read that advice. I'll say why in a couple of days and reveal all. Thanks.

........... maybe phone the garage that did the MOT and ask them directly what their " strong advice " actually means ?

I find, as do many others, that the MOT Tester on that day can often have a subjective view differing from another Tester, hence the same testing Station can year after year pass prior year's Advisories and give some new.

Malc1

Ok. Thinking that it meant it should be done sooner rather than later. I booked it in to my regular garage for replacement & a service. Got a call from them to ask if I was sure I wanted it done as it was fine and didn't need changing. Just to check I went to another garage and asked if their opinion. No problem, it's fine.

Spoke to dealer principal at MoT garage. My understanding of what he said is that "Advice" means that it might need doing before next MoT and "Strong advice" means that it will need doing before next MoT. And yet, it doesn't need doing. He got shirty when I pointed that out.

I would take your car elsewhere for MOT's in future. 

I guess his strong advice equated to a potential Christmas bonus or similar. This whole MOT thing is still very slack. My lads car had a string of advisories from last year and I was horrified when he booked it into Halfords for this years MOT expecting the worse. It passed with no advisories. 

• Like 1