Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 SE

Hi all, I've only just joined so bear with me please.

Now, I have a confession to make- I don't own a Lexus yet, but I'm on the prowl for an IS200 in the next 2-3 months.

Just wondering if you could advise me as to what to look out for regarding general wear and tear. I have my heart set on a dark blue one but as long as the car is in excellent condition I'm not overly fussed on the colour. If I can afford one of the last ones made then all the better. What was the latest they were made...05 plate?

I look forward to reading your opinions.

Shaun in Hampshire

This is a good guide:

Fully stamped service book, cambelt change at 10 years or 100k. Check the car is straight and that the rear sills are not going - some let water in and can rot from the inside. These cars are reliable so can go on well over 100,000 miles. Check there is no noise on full lock. Check tyres for inner tyre wear; they are notorious for this. Everything electrical should work. Check the sunroof seal and the sunroof mechanism - that is a costly fix. 

Edited by eddiea1

Lovely cars, I had an IS200 SE for 7 years and still miss it. 

My issues included the clutch judder due to the dual mass flywheel "issue" that wasn't an issue according to Lexus, seemingly normal but had it done under warranty that rectified it. I also had an annoying front clunk / knock that they couldn't sort and was common back in the day. 

Cam belt change obviously but never recall hearing of one snapping irrespective, other than that just wear and tear.

I still see these cars in main dealership service bays and many a salesman will tell you they simply couldn't get people out of them and into the IS250 as so damned reliable. Hence should be plenty with decent history. 

Also it is worth looking for rust in the spare wheel well and either side of the boot low down... I have one of the very last on an 05 plate, had it from new and I still can't find anything that I would rather drive though it could do with a little extra power low down in the rev range..But I have a plan

Thanks for your input guys, most appreciated.

Now, I'd love an IS200 in the dark blue and with the lip on the boot rather than a full blown spoiler. Did this come in a specific variant (eg only the SE perhaps had the lip) ?

Mine is one of the last ones and came with a neat little lip on the boot lid with a brake lamp built in.. It also came with 7 inch satnav full leather, armrest (They can be hard to find) and 17 inch multispoke wheels (Watch the wheels as they do corrode quite badly) 

Also check the CD player as they can give an error code... Not really an issue as many folk will want to replace the stereo or as I did fit a Grom so that the stereo links to my phone.. Easy Job.

I understand that the 300 is a fair bit more power for no or little more fuel consumption... The down side for me is that they are all automatics. I like the six speed so the only real option for me is to supercharge my 200... A number of guys here have copied Toyota's own TTE kit for the IS200 and the kit can be assembled almost totally from eBay... The only bit that is rare is the air box which I would like to recreate to quieten down the whirr from the SC

Make sure you give it a good thrashing without abusing..drive it and keep the engine running for over 45mns to make sure the fans kick in atleast 3 times..check the heater..if it's Lukewarm and not blowing hot air..the radiator is worn out. Plus any clunkinh noises when you come to a stop means ball joints need changing..so be vigilant and lucky...I got an Is200 sport..1999..one lady owner😎 lucky me...everything works fine