Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Overheating and cut out. Help

Marlee

Hello,

This is my first time at loc. I brought a is200 2000 with 89k millage on Wednesday. On Thursday the car cut out on the motorway(luckily I rolled into a service station) the engine warning and the traction control off lights where on before it cut out. when I pulled up I noticed a small amount of white smoke coming from the engine, upon inspecting the radiator was empty. I topped it up an started the car but it's now misfiring, also found the water was leaking out the radiator.

It's being towed to a local garage today who are doing a pressure test tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or if any mechanics want to guess the extent of the damage. as you can tell I'm anxious I'm going to have a spend a lot of money on a car I just bought.

Thanks

Hi ,sorry you have had such a bad start to Lexus ownership .The IS200 is a very reliable car normally ,and I am not going to guess what your problems may be . All I would ask is did you buy this car from a dealer ?  if so it is his responsibility to sort this for you as the leak must have been evident at the time of sale ;you have had the car for such a short time it is covered by his guarantee as a trader .You must give him the opportunity to rectify the fault . Let us know how you get on .

Dave

Hi Lee and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch so please dont hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they dont go wrong that often.

I am sorry you are having problems with your Lexus but I am sure the membership will be very helpful.

We always love to see pictures of your cars so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike. Bluesman.

Wow you guys are fast at replying here.

No I got it privately. to be fair to the person I bought it from sounded shocked when I called him and he said he would help towards the repair costs (something most people wouldn't think of doing). 

It's in the garage now and I'm waiting for a new radiator to be delivered tomorrow morning, so the mechanic can let it safely idle to see how it's running.

I'll keep up to date with the progress.

Thanks for the welcome

Lee

55 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

We always love to see pictures of your cars so don't be shy

I'll get one up as soon as it's set free from the garage. the only one I have now is it on the tow truck so I don't wanna share that one, Ha.

Hi all,

The car was started today with the new radiator in. it's misfiring and the pipes went rock solid within minutes, so the head gaskets racked!

Doing a pressure test on Monday, to find out the extent. hopefully the block won't be warped. I've heard they're pretty solid but we'll find out, fingers crossed though.

On 4 November 2016 at 10:07 AM, Marlee said:

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or if any mechanics want to guess the extent of the damage. as you can tell I'm anxious I'm going to have a spend a lot of money on a car I just bought.

Thanks

Why would you want anyone to guess the extent of the damage when you have it at a garage where the mechanic can do better than guess?

13 hours ago, Verbout said:

Why would you want anyone to guess the extent of the damage when you have it at a garage where the mechanic can do better than guess?

I posted that while I was waiting for the car to be towed to the garage. it does say that in the post

3 hours ago, Marlee said:

I posted that while I was waiting for the car to be towed to the garage. it does say that in the post

"It's being towed to a local garage" implies its on its way. (present) Thats how I read it. :)

"It's going to be towed to a local garage" (future) is obviously what you meant? Sorry.:winkiss:

16 hours ago, Verbout said:
30 minutes ago, Verbout said:

"It's being towed to a local garage" implies its on its way. (present) Thats how I read it. :)

"It's going to be towed to a local garage" (future) is obviously what you meant? Sorry.:winkiss:

If its being towed to a garage then it's not there yet. hence asking before it got to the garage. 

If I'd said its been towed, I would have understood your confusion.

Did the temperature gauge not rise before the incident or was it a sudden explosive coolant loss from the radiator?

You also mentioned both the EML and Trac off lights came on before the engine cut out, how far did you continue to drive from this happening, the reason I ask is that had you stopped immediately and investigated the problem you may have perhaps prevented further secondary damage to the engine.

You are so unlucky. .samething happen to me..water leaked out of my radiator and the temp gauge didn't rise at all..the car just refused to start..so I waited for over two hour for it to cool down completely before I topped up with lots of antifreeze ..that's where you went wrong..you refilled it with plain water too quickly and cracked your head..the is200 is design to cut out if it's going to overheat..and it did that

but you wrecked it..my little knowledge of cars saved me..wasn't fun waiting for over two hours for it cool down..got a Koyo radiator and it's been happy motoring ever after..😎

I was on the motorway when the engine light come on so I couldn't pull over.

I noticed the thermostat rise slightly then drop to 0, probably drove another 7-8 mins until the service station, in 6th doing 50-55 mph. 

It will live again, see how the pressure test does tomorrow and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I have good news on the car 😁

Pressure test has passed on the head so it's beginning to be rebuilt. I need to source a inlet manifold as the old one has warped, so does anybody know a rough price for this? never looked at buying one before.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links