Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Think it's been covered before but Any1 got part no or link from eBay for is250 engine cover clips gonna change air filter. some are missing some won't clip in place now.due to taking them off loads of times don't clip after a while, last time bought for is220d from lexus got ripped off.thanks guys

1478538423049-1546520340.jpg

1478538474080-1804424524.jpg

147853851416386210320.jpg

I bought these early in the year after several disappeared into the engine bay, they are not an exact match (not for the purist) mine had a screw slot on top that's not shown in the photo, but cheap enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Q8JQPNI/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or just leave the covers off, I took all my covers off so that when I make visual checks I can at least see anything untoward, i.e. Fluid leaks.

can anyone tell me why all motor manufacturers now put covers all over the engine? They actually serve no useful purpose, other than to confuse you.

Those 'originals' are nothing like the actual originals, which have a central 'pip' which you have to push down to release the clip, then to reinsert you spread the legs and push the pip thing up. Then after reinsertion you push the pip down flush. But they break easily. I keep a few originals for use in the recessed parts of the covers (because they are easier to remove from recesses), but I use ones similar to the eBay ones for all the other fixings.

I reckon covers are there because engines these days are not very cosmetic - too many pipes and wires stuck all over the place. Fuel injection kit just doesn't look as nice as a carburettor or two (or three). And it makes the engine bay look too technical for an ordinary guy to poke around - go to the dealer! (And spend your money!). Maybe they also have a minimal quietening effect.

Johnatg,,,,,I quite like "showing off" my engine bay to others, and It seems like you agree that these covers are for cosmetic purposes only, and also to confuse the hell out of Joe Public, when I lift the bonnet to check levels I always have a good look around for anything that doesn't look right, can't do that with covers on.

The early LS400s did not have the engine cover fitted it only became standard on the 95 on models however it could be retrofitted to the earlier ones with an additional bracket and a couple of dome nuts.

Unlike the modern cars it does only cover the engine top and not the whole engine Bay Area so still allowing good access for level checking.

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

Not a fan of the engine covers but can't be bothered to take them off, I'd have to store them in the garage where they'd get damaged, get in the way and the clips would go missing.

Best left where they are, on the car.

Just received clips this morning look different to actual pic but as long they fit not bothered. covers think look nice but think it's to keep rubbish off road which keeps engine clean and with so much electrics on cars these days  keep water away from them too.

1478865091931408072689.jpg

14788651115481877072792.jpg

Thank guy just what I was looking for... do agree with John that the original one with the push thing in the centre are easy to use and replace. They keep breaking and garage do realise how expensive they are. £1.98 per clip Lexus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00YU82HE0/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1478975452&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lexus+engine+clips

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys finally found time to do air filter and test new engine cover clips, I must say they are better then original ones also better fit and stay in holes better, sadly run out had to use some old ones. new ones click in place unlike original no click.this filter done only 5000 miles and it's filthy. 

IMG-20161206-WA0018.jpeg

When I bought car with just over 40k lexus Plymouth service car, I did check filter after I got home and was changed, now it's done over 45k.its been 9 months since own car.

drove to Oxford, Woking, dewsbury few times using m25 otherwise drive local roads. London roads are dirty loool 

I have used a K&N oiled one in mine - have done so since I got it as I used them in other cars.

A bit expensive initially but its paying for itself now as I am still on the same bottle of oil but maybe get one more application out of it - its supposed to last for years without cleaning but have cleaned it every year, the much that comes out when cleaning is unbelievable - country roads and dirty winter driving. I just done it at the weekend recently after changing the oil and I can say it does make a big difference having it cleaned. After cleaning there is visible light through the fins of the filter as opposed to the original clean one I still have.

There was an initial change in the responsiveness when I first changed it but its not noticeable now as I got used to it. Same as in my wifes Vauxhall that has one fitted also.

4 hours ago, ahmedali44 said:

It's is250 se-i 2009 been nine months since been replaced London got too much pollution 

I meant driving around London behind lots other diesels :)

when I first started having my Lexus serviced  ( all those years ago now, 15 to be precise,) the air filter needed changing once every two years .....  these past 6/7 years it's needed changing annually and it's quite grubby too.  It's doing its job well, filtering the air intake BUT the car's location hasn't changed much in that time. Air pollution generally has worsened it seems.......  well in Kent anyway.  ( and similar annual mileage too )

Malc1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links