Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Annoying dashboard rattle / creak

My recently acquired 2014 GS300h has an irritating rattle / creaking noise coming from somewhere on the passenger side of the dash. Possibly where it meets the windscreen.

As is always the case, it's hard to pinpoint exactly.

It's most obvious when I turn corners or, obviously, on rough surfaces.

I have noticed there are a lot of panels and joints on the GS300h dash (compared to, for example, my old E class which was seemingly hewn from a solid block). I have tried spraying silicon lubricant into a few places, but that's had no effect.

Have any other owners suffered this and more importantly, know how to fix it? 

There are numerous post on this subject. I have the same problem. The recommendation is to push felt strips down between the screen, and the plastic dash panels. This seems to fix the problem for some, but everything I have tried brings little in the way of results. Cold weather seems to make it worse.

I have seriously considered stripping out the dash and rebuilding it, but need the car in a driveable condition most of the time. The fact that the car is otherwise so quiet makes it seem worse, but this is not good for a "quality" car.

John.

Yes it has been noticeably worse these last few days. In fact, it's seriously annoying - I have to turn the stereo right up to drown it out. 

I'll give your idea a try this weekend but I don't hold out too much hope :(

Well I have to report that this morning, before setting off, I just stuffed a microfibre cloth that I keep in the glovebox into the gap between the dash and windscreen.

Result? The rattle has almost completely gone! Only on the most severe surfaces (our driveway at work is literally a cobbled road) does a small creaking sound emerge.

I guess I just need to find a neater. more permanent solution. 

It's actually very difficult to see into the gap there from either inside or outside the car. I honestly think a pair of old socks, pushed in using a ruler, may do the trick!

2 hours ago, keiron99 said:

Well I have to report that this morning, before setting off, I just stuffed a microfibre cloth that I keep in the glovebox into the gap between the dash and windscreen.

Result? The rattle has almost completely gone! Only on the most severe surfaces (our driveway at work is literally a cobbled road) does a small creaking sound emerge.

I guess I just need to find a neater. more permanent solution. 

It's actually very difficult to see into the gap there from either inside or outside the car. I honestly think a pair of old socks, pushed in using a ruler, may do the trick!

as your car is 2014 and under warranty, take it back to the dealer?

I have a noise in my 2013 GS250 but its very intermittent, sometimes I don't hear it for days. its over on the passenger side and I can only describe it as a metallic cricket (as in the insect rubbing its legs together) but cant pinpoint its source. So annoying on an otherwise fault free car

I have, quite literally, put a sock in it. Specifically, a pair of my daughter's black school socks. I forced them in with a flexible ruler. You cannot see they are there from any angle.

The creaking has at least 90% gone!

• 2 weeks later...

Time ago i was asking about buzz noise from center console. Today i visited dealer for 15000km maintenance and wanted to show them this problem. There was no rattle! i went away and after few kilometers it has returned. I think it is coming from console. If i touch and press it anywhere it looks rock solid, but if I beat it slightly stronger, it rattles. Problem must be inside.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links