Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reverse Mirror Angle

Is there any way to adjust the amount that the passenger side door mirror angles down when the vehicle is put into reverse?

At the moment it seems to just dip ever so slightly and it would be much better if it could dip so you could see kerbside. 

Thanks

Carl.

When you select reverse, move the passenger side mirror angle to your preference using the buttons. It should go back to normal when put into drive and each time you hit reverse, it should now go to the new angle 

• Like 3

I remember having a similar problem with my 400h. It seems that with age, the angle gradually reduces. It certainly happen with both mirrors on my car. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend a fox as both mirrors were eventually replaced under warranty.

Have you searched the forum? - I seem to recall that someone had offered a DIY fix for this.

2 hours ago, DanD said:

I remember having a similar problem with my 400h. It seems that with age, the angle gradually reduces. It certainly happen with both mirrors on my car. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend a fox as both mirrors were eventually replaced under warranty.

Have you searched the forum? - I seem to recall that someone had offered a DIY fix for this.

Although they do have their uses, I'm not sure how much use a fox would be in this situation Dan :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You could have bought a Lexus Used Car Warranty.  It's available for vehicles up to 10 years old and 120k miles (I think ?).  I have one on mine and it's paid for itself with still 11 months warranty left.

Personally I don't like the 'angling' or 'dipping' feature of the door mirrors so I keep it turned off. In more than 40 years of driving and more than 30 different vehicles including a few different makes/models of BT vans, I've never had one before where the door mirrors angle down and I just can't get used to it at all.

I find it handy when reversing in to a space in a multi-storey or for avoiding the kerb....that's when I'm not looking at the screen from the reverse camera of course !!

The eyes I've developed in the back of my head are now redundant ! :wink1:

Spooky - just posted a "how to" in cleaning the wing mirror motor assembly on an IS (in the IS 250 section) Quite an easy job. Sounds like the mirrors in yours could do with a clean. The cogs in the mirrors get covered in dirt as they are greased and the dirt collects on the grease preventing it operation correctly. Will only get worse.

• 3 months later...

Hiya is200 Newbie, I have got a 400h, and the drivers mirror is just starting to fail when I put it into reverse,

as for the cog cleaning exercise, I think I will probably break it rather than fix it,

I've had a look on you tube but still a bit scary, is there any magic spray I can use,

Regard's sando63

P.S the mirror works fine on the door switch.

I pressure washed behind mine the other day, gave them a right pounding, the **** that came out was amazing.

Sprayed them with silicone spray afterwards and gave them a good twangling before more spray.

Work a treat, they're usually easy to take apart to get at the mechanism.

• Like 1

Hiya Verbout, I tackled taking the mirror out, not so bad, took the wire connections off and plastered them with wd40, (other makes are available),

then put it back together and it works fine, I saw some rubber joints and just peppered them with oil, Do you have to remove centre screw to get to

cogs, or will it be ok like that, Finally is silicone spray better than wd40, I may try the jet wash at some stage if this starts to fail again,

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated,

Regard's

sando63  

Edited by sando63
spelling

I've never taken the mechanism apart, just the mirrors, never had a problem with them.

I just do preventative maintenance by cleaning and lubricating the mechanism.

I use WD40 to clear the water away and then after drying use silicone spray to get into and parts that I feel need lubrication.

The jet wash is not done very often.

• Like 1

Had the problem on my first IS250.  I remember it was a heart in mouth experience releasing the mirror glass from its holder, but once that was done it was quite easy.

The mechanism is a combination of worm gears and cogs.  I used an old toothbrush and mild detergent to get everything clean (it was full of gunk !).  After drying it all, I sprayed with silicone and everything worked perfectly thereafter.  Just takes a wee bit of confidence to tackle the job.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links