Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended warranty?

VelvetblackCT

Hello. I wonder if anyone out there could give me some advice/ their opinions.

I've just bought a June 2014 CT200h Advance from Lexus Motorline Cardiff. I was offered an extended warranty which would add 2 further years' cover to the standard Lexus approved-used 12 month cover for a cost of £495. I declined, but am now wondering if I should take them up on it, and if so, how long the option is open for.

I hadn't realised (was it explained? Not sure...) that the warranty, whether 12 month or extended, would include the equivalent of a high level of AA breakdown cover worth £120 a year.  This starts to make me think that I should go for it. Also, the Lexus website suggests that the cost can be paid monthly, with no interest-penalty. (This also was not mentioned). Having approached the dealership with my revised thoughts, they tell me I will have to act quickly if the car is not to require an additional inspection prior to an extended warranty being issued. I can find no mention of this on the Lexus site. Could anyone give me their thoughts about the merits of paying the £495? I'd be very grateful!

The car, by the way, is an absolute joy!

Nick

2 minutes ago, VelvetblackCT said:

Hello. I wonder if anyone out there could give me some advice/ their opinions.

I've just bought a June 2014 CT200h Advance from Lexus Motorline Cardiff. I was offered an extended warranty which would add 2 further years' cover to the standard Lexus approved-used 12 month cover for a cost of £495. I declined, but am now wondering if I should take them up on it, and if so, how long the option is open for.

I hadn't realised (was it explained? Not sure...) that the warranty, whether 12 month or extended, would include the equivalent of a high level of AA breakdown cover worth £120 a year.  This starts to make me think that I should go for it. Also, the Lexus website suggests that the cost can be paid monthly, with no interest-penalty. (This also was not mentioned). Having approached the dealership with my revised thoughts, they tell me I will have to act quickly if the car is not to require an additional inspection prior to an extended warranty being issued. I can find no mention of this on the Lexus site. Could anyone give me their thoughts about the merits of paying the £495? I'd be very grateful!

The car, by the way, is an absolute joy!

Nick

It is a no brainer Nick. You must protect your investment soonest. It is the best Extended Warranty in the marketplace and unlike others does cover the Hybrid system too.

I`ve had an extended warranty for 2 complete years and just taken out a further 2 year warranty.Not had to use it.

It is interest free and includes breakdown cover.Simply a no brainer !!

• Like 1

Just bear in mind that you need to have car serviced at Lexus in order for the warranty to be valid.

Otherwise, I'd agree £500 for two years including breakdown cover is a very good deal.

• Like 1

Hi Nick and welcome to the LOC.

I too use Lexus, Cardiff.  Natalie and Charlotte on Service Reception are fantastic.

I bought my first IS250 two years ago, it had a full service history but with the last two services done by an independent.  After an inspection, they accepted the vehicle for the Lexus Warranty.

Had my present IS250C for a year now.  I bought it from an independent trader in Southport and it had a full Lexus service history from Lexus Manchester.  It was accepted for two years warranty without inspection.  Since then I've had a replacement headlamp assembly (water ingress and condensation) and a replacement rear caliper (seized)just last month.  My claims roughly equate to the premium and I have another twelve months to run, that doesn't take into account the AA premium cover too !

It is dependent upon you having your CT serviced at Lexus.  You should be able to start it after the twelve months dealer guarantee.  I'd organise it now if I was you as the price could rise substantially, the present deal is based on 2 years for the price of 1. 

Yes, the premium is payable over 10 months interest free.

As "royoftherovers" says...."A NO BRAINER"

• Like 1

Thank you so much, John, Bob and Steve for the advice.  And with what speed!! 

You have confirmed what I suspected - that I was being foolish in penny-pinching 500 quid. It really wasn't pitched very convincingly by the salesman - so low-key I almost wasn't listening. I just need to confirm that it starts from the point when my standard 1yr-warranty runs out, so that I'm effectively getting 3 years. 

The car is simply brilliant - I read every motoring-press review which universally panned it, and all the owners' reviews and customer-satisfaction reports which unreservedly loved it, and rejected the nonsense talked by journalists. I figured I'd trust the people who actually lived with them! 

Thank you again. 

Nick

• Like 2

Hi Nick, Yes definitely go for it.  My car is 3 years old on December 23rd and the manufacturers warranty runs out then but, when I purchased the car I took the opportunity to take out a further 2 years of warranty, which will kick-in next month and will cover me until 23/12/2018, a bit of extra peace of mind for me.

Also as mentioned in other posts, you get the roadside assistance cover chucked in which covers YOU AND YOUR WIFE (if you have one of course) and it doesn't matter what car you're in either.

Enjoy your car.

• Like 1

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. You've reassured me that's it's a) sensible, and b) a good deal. 

I now just need to get Cardiff Lexus to get it organised. The salesman's responses aren't exactly lightning reactions to my enquiries.... 

• Like 1

Hi Nick and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike. Bluesman.