Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So, the rear lights

floggit

When i had my old 400 i never noticed this but in the ct when you come up to red lights at night and hold the car on the footbrake the rear leds ( never had LED lights before ) really light up everything!!!! Signs behind car ,peoples faces in car behind just everything. Its like have the fog light on ( no i havent) no choice in a auto but to use brake but they just seem bright, hope its not annoying people behind. Lol

You could stick it in park/neutral and put the parking brake on if you are going to be stopped for a while. But a bit of a pain I know.

Most people just sit there with the foot on the brake dazzling the car behind. It is not recommended to leave it in drive with the parking brake on.

When did you people learn to drive? When I took my test in 1975 it was correct procedure to put the car in neutral and handbrake/parking brake on. I've always done it that way, even though I've driven nothing but autos for the last 28 years.

Constantly putting the autobox into N or P at lights is putting an awful lot more wear into the selector and the box generally. The owner's handbook always says leave in drive, unless your stop is going to be for an extended period.

I can honestly say I have never been dazzled by the brake lights of the car in front in the queue and if I'm the last in the queue I'm quite conscious of drivers approaching me (at speed) and am pleased of the extra warning the illuminated brake lights (hopefully) give!

Obviously different in a manual, as keeping one's foot on the clutch accelerates wear on the thrust bearing and the correct procedure is as has been mentioned above,  put the car in neutral and handbrake/parking brake on

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Constantly putting the autobox into N or P at lights is putting an awful lot more wear into the selector and the box generally. The owner's handbook always says leave in drive, unless your stop is going to be for an extended period.

I can honestly say I have never been dazzled by the brake lights of the car in front in the queue and if I'm the last in the queue I'm quite conscious of drivers approaching me (at speed) and am pleased of the extra warning the illuminated brake lights (hopefully) give!

Obviously different in a manual, as keeping one's foot on the clutch accelerates wear on the thrust bearing and the correct procedure is as has been mentioned above,  put the car in neutral and handbrake/parking brake on

Correct, I didn't realise until I saw this video, but I didn't move out of drive whilst stood anyway. Laziness.

• Like 2

Haha, i only commented how the rear lighrs just seemed bright at night. As for the actual driving i do it as the manual says. In drive with foot on brake unless extended period then its hbrake neutral. Guess its just me who thinks their bright then lol

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Constantly putting the autobox into N or P at lights is putting an awful lot more wear into the selector and the box generally. The owner's handbook always says leave in drive, unless your stop is going to be for an extended period

1 hour ago, Verbout said:

Correct, I didn't realise until I saw this video, but I didn't move out of drive whilst stood anyway. Laziness.

According to that video, it's not correct at all. He says that there's no real, good reason to put it in neutral/park at lights but he doesn't say that anything bad is going to happen if you do.

This is how I feel about the situation:

1) In an auto - just touch the brakes unless you're stopping for extended periods. I can't be faffing about with sticking in park, putting parking brake on etc etc at each set of traffic lights I get to

2) In a hybrid, better off going into park rather than neutral otherwise the hybrid Battery wont charge

3) Manual - I got taught to stick car into neutral and put parking brake on. And then I started driving and binned the idea for a few reasons. Firstly, it takes the mick when a traffic light only lets about 3 cars through and theres a big queue and everyone is fiddling about with their gears and handbrakes. Also, having driven my first car without using the handbrake at all unless stopped for more than 5 minutes, I can safely say that the clutch didn't go in 90k miles. No idea what happened after I got rid of it but this scaremongering of "OMG your clutch will burn out" is BS.

4) OK so you can dazzle road users behind you - seriously? Im in stop start traffic and hardly anyone uses the parking brake on cars like Audi A7's and A6's etc, basically cars which are likely to be automatic and ive never been dazzled

Just because some of you have never been dazzled doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Human beings aren't machines and we may all percieve light intensity differently rather than having a standard, set reaction to a given light level. Here's what the Highway Code says about it:

Rule 114

You MUST NOT

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

So, why not have a system akin to headlamp assist, whereby the brake lamps are extinguished if the vehicle has been stopped for more than x seconds and the system detects a stopped vehicle behind?

• Like 1

Seems a great idea.Why not

10 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

So, why not have a system akin to headlamp assist, whereby the brake lamps are extinguished if the vehicle has been stopped for more than x seconds and the system detects a stopped vehicle behind?

email the suggestion to VOLVO as they are keen on innovation and safety?

Regards

John

Haha, i only commented how the rear lighrs just seemed bright at night. As for the actual driving i do it as the manual says. In drive with foot on brake unless extended period then its hbrake neutral. Guess its just me who thinks their bright then lol

Yes they are bright. I noticed it too when I got it. I just put mine in park if it's on a flat surface waiting a long time in traffic.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Just because some of you have never been dazzled doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Human beings aren't machines and we may all percieve light intensity differently rather than having a standard, set reaction to a given light level. Here's what the Highway Code says about it:

Rule 114

You MUST NOT

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

The highway code rule 244 also says you should not park partially or wholly on the pavement anywhere in London or anywhere else UNLESS signs permit it.

Theoretically possible but practically impossible and no one to enforce most of the highway code anyway

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

The highway code rule 244 also says you should not park partially or wholly on the pavement anywhere in London or anywhere else UNLESS signs permit it.

Theoretically possible but practically impossible and no one to enforce most of the highway code anyway

Two wrongs do not make a right Rayann.

You say you've never been dazzled by the car in front and fair enough, I accept that. But you must also accept that someone else may be dazzled and so you should not keep your foot on the brake pedal at night any longer than is necessary to meet the Highway Code 'recommendation'. To do otherwise is just selfish and inconsiderate of other road users.

To be honest, labelling this style of driving as selfish and inconsiderate is a little bit harsh. Reversing backwards out of a drive into oncoming traffic, doing a three point turn in front on oncoming traffic, driving into the path of oncoming traffic to avoid an obstruction on your side of the road.....these are what I have to put up with on a regular basis, so sitting behind a glaring light at traffic lights kinda fades into insignificance, especially after enduring a journey consisting of all the above.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IS200D said:

To be honest, labelling this style of driving as selfish and inconsiderate is a little bit harsh. Reversing backwards out of a drive into oncoming traffic, doing a three point turn in front on oncoming traffic, driving into the path of oncoming traffic to avoid an obstruction on your side of the road.....these are what I have to put up with on a regular basis, so sitting behind a glaring light at traffic lights kinda fades into insignificance, especially after enduring a journey consisting of all the above.

Again, you cannot justify one wrong by quoting others. It may be trivial and insignificant to some but to others it can be very dazzling and disturbing. It's VERY easy to come to a stop, put the parking brake on and put the car in neutral so why not just do it?

4 hours ago, sorcerer said:

You say you've never been dazzled by the car in front and fair enough, I accept that. But you must also accept that someone else may be dazzled and so you should not keep your foot on the brake pedal at night any longer than is necessary to meet the Highway Code 'recommendation'. To do otherwise is just selfish and inconsiderate of other road users.

Its very rare that cars are completely stopped though.

rear lights are activated before the brakes are and in creeping/rolling traffic the brake lights will be engaged quite a lot of the time. Thats unless you do one of my main pet peeves and thats just stopping completely and then leaving a 5 car gap before moving forwards and doing the same again.

I dont mind putting the footbrake and putting the car into Park if waiting for ages stopped as dead as a bird for 5 minutes but in rolling traffic its just silly.

Im pretty sure more people get glare from my headlights than they do from the brake lights anyway and if it was a huge problem, they'd be illegal

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 5:21 PM, sorcerer said:

Rule 114

You MUST NOT

On 12/11/2016 at 3:01 PM, sorcerer said:

Just gathering two points here.  You can treat the Highway Code as a guide.  If you adhere to it's suggestions then you will be fine.  However, rules with the words Must Not and Must should be considered law.  These are the ones that are usually based on legislation and could lead to your day in court.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, sorcerer said:

Again, you cannot justify one wrong by quoting others. It may be trivial and insignificant to some but to others it can be very dazzling and disturbing. It's VERY easy to come to a stop, put the parking brake on and put the car in neutral so why not just do it?

Turning your own comments around: it might be VERY easy for you to come to a stop and put the parking brake on. It may not be as easy - for whatever reason - for others to do so.

Brake lights on the RX are also very bright. However, the pedal set up is slightly different in the sense that you can actually rest your foot on the brake pedal without the brake lights coming on.

I'll throw another one in: I have, on occasion, left the car in drive, but applied the parking brake rather than leaving my foot on the brake pedal. What rule am I braking here?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanD said:

Turning your own comments around: it might be VERY easy for you to come to a stop and put the parking brake on. It may not be as easy - for whatever reason - for others to do so.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be easy Dan. If someone has a permanent disability then their car would be adapted. If someone has something temporary (like me, waiting for a knee replacement) then you either put up with the pain and do it the right way, or you do it the wrong way knowing that it's only a temporary situation and when the ailment is sorted you go back to doing it the correct way - it would still be wrong but you know it's wrong and have every intention of doing it correctly. My main beef is people who know it's wrong, who still do it anyway and have no intention of changing their ways.

8 hours ago, DanD said:

Brake lights on the RX are also very bright. However, the pedal set up is slightly different in the sense that you can actually rest your foot on the brake pedal without the brake lights coming on.

Not on mine you can't. You only have to breathe on the pedal and the lights are on.

8 hours ago, DanD said:

I'll throw another one in: I have, on occasion, left the car in drive, but applied the parking brake rather than leaving my foot on the brake pedal. What rule am I braking here?

I have no idea. Not being in proper control maybe?

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, DanD said:

I should have worded my question differently: Am I breaking any rule here?

19 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I have no idea. Not being in proper control maybe?

hmmm... not sure. Is it any different to having your foot on the brake pedal?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links