Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is200 2002 timing belt change

iffy

I bought an is200 a month ago and according to the owner the timing belt had been changed at 40k (car on 75k). I think the guy was talking rubbish as I decided to inspect the timing belt to find a chunk of rubber missing. So I have parked the car up and decided to do this belt urgently. In addition to searching the web on diy's etc, is there any advice members can offer?

Thanks for help in advance.

Whilst the timing belt is off, it may well be worth while fitting a new water pump, they can weep and the belt would have to come off again.. Most folk can change the belt with the radiator in situ but I prefer to remove it and clean out all the crap from between the rad and the aircon condenser.. If the rad looks a bit scabby with the finns falling out or decomposing, then just change it for the price that they are..

I just got an IS200 and am going to inspect the belt tomorrow. It has 110K on it and FSH up to 92K so it should have been done at least once? Is that right?

Also a local garage quoted me £400 to do it and change the aux belts at the same time.

yes it should have been changed at least once at 60,000 miles or 6 years whichever came first,so if that is anything to go by it's more than likely due another change anyway.Price seems reasonable too

10 hours ago, andy_in_leeds said:

I just got an IS200 and am going to inspect the belt tomorrow. It has 110K on it and FSH up to 92K so it should have been done at least once? Is that right?

Also a local garage quoted me £400 to do it and change the aux belts at the same time.

Maybe not. It originally had a 100k interval for the belt but because one of the pulleys can start to wear the belt Lexus changed the interval to 60k. If it was being serviced at an independent they may not know about the reduced interval.

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

Maybe not. It originally had a 100k interval for the belt but because one of the pulleys can start to wear the belt Lexus changed the interval to 60k. If it was being serviced at an independent they may not know about the reduced interval.

Cheers Colin. It was serviced by Lexus since 2003. The phone number is on the stamp I will call them today and ask them.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Then you should be okay, but they would normally put a sticker on the belt cover stating when it was changed (although these have been known to fall off).

I just called the Toyota garage who's stamps are in the book and they said it was done at 60K in sept 2011. So it is due in sept 2017 or 120K ?

I did read somewhere that it was every 20K after the first change.

No you do not need to do that inspect the belt. However my Advice to be to remove the ps, power steering belts and a/c belt so that you can rotate the engine via the cranckshaft to fully inspect the belt. My belt had a chunk of rubber missing from it and I was very lucky the defect was visible. Had it been hidden I would never of have known and could of have drove around with the defect belt.