Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Malc is also Malc1 in Delhi right now

Just making a periodic visit to Delhi and couldn't keep away from the forum but sadly had no idea of my password etc !

Decided to see if I can purchase an Indian Ls400 while I'm here for my future use and found this one ( potentially ) in Mumbai where I'm intending to visit over the coming 2/3 weeks or so.

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-mumbai/lexus-ls400-d1172647/?rk=2&isP=false

it's about gbp 3000 ( no pounds sign on this keyboard ) and I've asked the dealer to send me over lots of piccys and detailed info to make a more informed judgment before I visit Mumbai

Looks a bit like a Mk3 with a Mk2  gearstick and a Toyota steering wheel .....  it has leather too which is unlike most Indian cars with cloth.

I'll post more when and if I know more

Malc / Malc1

• Like 1

It's a series II 1993-1994 Toyota Celsior with the range topping C-F pack so rear comfort controls, massaging rear seats and sat nav.

Should also be on air suspension as it looks like there is the additional height control switch near the transmission selector.

Engine should be Toyota badged with no EGR fitted and another give away is no external radio aerial.

Thank you, they say it's a June 1996 car and if I get over to Mumbai I'll go see it for sure and in the meantime I've asked the dealer for photos etc to make some judgement calls before I go !

I'll share them if I can of course.

The 500 and 1000 rupee notes I had suddenly became almost unspendable and quite frustrated in that max drawings from ATMs right now is about gbp20 a time, gbp200 a week with queues about 2/300 long at each ATM and they often run out of cash ..... so frustrating, but card payments are ok still but impossible to get small notes to use at the local stalls ...  some 86% of the Indian currency was in now non spendable 500 and 1000inr notes ( a fiver and a tenner respectively )  .........  and of course now I'm staying in the company's apartment/office ( rented ) and buying local foodstuffs for home preparation, the former joys of a hotel stay are just beginning to sink in ...............  hahahahahaha, but oh so much cheaper self catering ( effectively ).

But this is India ................

Malc1

Steve, I meant to ask, would this likely be a non-interference engine ?  I've asked about cambelt changes etc but not sure if the info I get will be upstanding !

Thanks

Malc1

Interesting car, though not sure about leather in such a climate, my experience in Kuwait back in the 90's was leather and strong sun make for an interesting first few minutes until AC has got going, which was why most car parking was under shade.

This one seems in really good nick to 20 years in a country like India.

15 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Steve, I meant to ask, would this likely be a non-interference engine ?  I've asked about cambelt changes etc but not sure if the info I get will be upstanding !

Thanks

Malc1

Yes all pre October 94 engines were non interference, the engine power output was upped on the series III 95-97 models so compression was increased and valve clearance decreased resulting in interference engines.

6 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Interesting car, though not sure about leather in such a climate, my experience in Kuwait back in the 90's was leather and strong sun make for an interesting first few minutes until AC has got going, which was why most car parking was under shade.

This one seems in really good nick to 20 years in a country like India.

JDM models had an option of leather or cloth seats, I can't see a sunroof either another JDM quirk.

Just as a matter of interest Malc, are you going to use a local driver or, Heaven forbid, drive yourself?  Having spent an awful lot of time there, over the years, it is one of the few places in this world where I wouldn't drive :)

I'm thinking I might be spending rather more time in Delhi and around as the overall group business interests I have here seem able to hopefully pick up on the likely explosive economic activity that's beginning to happen ......................  and I'd like my driver to be able to transport me in some style and comfort  !  ......  and of course I'd like to drive Lexus myself but heaven's it's a nightmare place to drive as you know............  slightly better these past few days with far less traffic on the roads coz no-one's got non-black money to spend putting fuel in their cars !!!  ...........  steering clear of elephants and camels, horses and other normal traffic users on Delhi roads is probably a little beyond me :w00t::w00t:

Another slight issue is that the car dealer just hasn't responded to my questions on the Lexus in question so maybe the car really doesn't exist !

Cest le Vie

I'll keep you posted

Malc 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links