Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After having my Volvo S40 D4 R Design for 3 years and 80,000 miles without a visit to the garage apart from servicing my 2 week old Lexus IS300h F Sport has to go in to the garage as the brakes are binding/grinding when coming to a complete stop. It even happens when I take my foot off the brake to move forward.

It's getting to the point where I'm trying not to come to a complete stop at lights as to avoid the noise.

I love the drive don't get me wrong but with the issue with the brakes and not being able to get above 45mpg without driving like Miss Daisy, I have to admit I'm not that impressed.

Maybe after my brakes are sorted the love will return. (It's got to as I've got the Lexus for 3 years now)

What mpg were you hoping to achieve and how were you hoping to achieve it? 70+ on the motorway is not good for mpg, neither is short trips round town. Mpg is worse in winter. Over time you will get used to driving like miss daisy and will enjoy wafting along the road in quiet luxury.

• Like 1

What mpg were you hoping to achieve and how were you hoping to achieve it? 70+ on the motorway is not good for mpg, neither is short trips round town. Mpg is worse in winter. Over time you will get used to driving like miss daisy and will enjoy wafting along the road in quiet luxury.

70 + on a motorway is not good for MPG!!, I'm doing 80k over 3 years with probably 75% of that being motorway mileage.

Like any car driven at high speed mph suffers. I had a newish BMW 520d Se last week when I had my IS in for service. I had for 2 days did in excess of 400miles I averaged 37mpg and drove as I do normally. I hated the BMW, noisy, jerky gear change in traffic. Low quality leather and over all I didn't enjoy and for all the infotainment issues said about Lexus the BMW nav was poor and no music streaming from phone. Lexus IS is night and day ahead of a Volvo S40. The brakes at first can be a bit strange but it's the regenerative braking. However they should not be noisy. For a 220bhp car 45 mpg is very good. If you want high mpg you need to buy a 1.6 boring German diesel with manual transmission.

• Like 3

At this time of year, low 40's is about right for mpg for an f sport doing high motorway mileage at 70ish.

65k in mine,  mostly motorway, and its averaging about 42mpg. Brakes shouldn't be grinding, but the pedal feel takes some getting used to. There is a squeaky, screech sound when you creep which is  normal.

At this time of year, low 40's is about right for mpg for an f sport doing high motorway mileage at 70ish.

65k in mine,  mostly motorway, and its averaging about 42mpg. Brakes shouldn't be grinding, but the pedal feel takes some getting used to. There is a squeaky, screech sound when you creep which is  normal.

The noise when creeping sounds like what I'm experiencing but this never happened with the one I had for my days test drive which had less miles on the clock that mine does now.

Bracing myself for the "that's normal" line now when it goes in this morning.

The MPG I can live with, I suppose I was just a tad tittylip that my new car had to visit the garage so soon in its life.

I'll update this post with the garages findings just in case other new members have the same noise.

For the brake noise, I had that on my IS and the dealers cleaned and lubed the pads. The cure lasted a couple of weeks before returning and then I just lived with the groaning/creaking when creeping along in traffic. Now have an NX and it's got the same problem !!.

I have never heard this squeaky  screech sound when creeping. It cannot be normal. You should be able to creep in silence. It may perhaps be a common problem, but that is not the same thing at all.  I once had an is250 with a squeaky stopping issue, but that was quickly fixed. You should insist that this is fixed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, michaelH said:

I have never heard this squeaky  screech sound when creeping. It cannot be normal. You should be able to creep in silence. It may perhaps be a common problem, but that is not the same thing at all.  I once had an is250 with a squeaky stopping issue, but that was quickly fixed. You should insist that this is fixed. 

Michael, its more of a low pitched groan/vibration when creeping forwards a couple of feet. I remember from times gone by that Jags of the seventies had a similar noise which was called brake grunt and was usually solved with copaslip. I've just gotten used to it by now..

Update:

Garage confirmed that this is normal and is emphasised more due to the quietness of the engine.

Engineer spoke as if this has been reported by every new owner of the IS300h and confirmed there is no long term fix.

Lexus kindly offered me a 30% discount on these as a gesture of good will.

14ab406255df8651b20284d84f310d7b.jpg

• Like 1

May be that in first miles of use of new car you made strong braking, vitrifying surface of pads. Unluckily if this occurred there is no solution (at least for next thousands of miles), except changing pads and avoiding hard braking on next 100 miles after  substitution.

Read somewhere else on the net about running the brakes in by braking hard from 60 down to 5 without allowing the ABS to kick in.

Do this 5 or 6 times should speed the bedding in process (and also make you look like you can't drive)

2 hours ago, Alan Partridges Left Glove said:

Garage confirmed that this is normal and is emphasised more due to the quietness of the engine.

My dealer said the same.  If it is fixed by a clean  of the pads then it clearly isn't "normal" imho.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly.

Got my car washed yesterday and for the short journey afterwards the grind,squeak was gone. Alas this didn't last that long.

I'm finding it worse when parking in a space where small, slow movements are required.

An old friend said for me to put a load of butter on the pads but I don't trust him as he knows I don't like butter and I'm on a diet.

I hadn't particularly noticed the noisy brakes until I read this thread. Maybe they are worse when wet. I try to take my foot off the brake completely when moving in slow traffic then keep it on when stopped.

On my journey home tonight I've managed to stop a few times without the noise happening, the best way so far is getting the car down to around 3 MPH then opening the drivers door and putting my right foot on the road.

Please don't try the above with sandals on as it stretches your sock out of shape after a while.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Eire Lexus said:

I had this issue and was resolved when discs and pads were changed at last service at around 80k. No repeat of this since then.

I had the pads resurfaced at the first service, OK for a few weeks. Commented again and I was offered new pads and discs, great for a few weeks but it's back. Just turn the radio up. Because of the regenerative properties of the car the back brake pressure is reduced I think, so they are never used hard.

I've got a semi-solution.

When I have people in the car, I time a cough or a sneeze when coming to a stop this masking the braking noise.

So far I've managed to pull it off and as a bonus, a work colleague bought me a packet of Lockets. (Result)

• Like 1