Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, Alan Partridges Left Glove said:

I've got a semi-solution.

When I have people in the car, I time a cough or a sneeze when coming to a stop this masking the braking noise.

So far I've managed to pull it off and as a bonus, a work colleague bought me a packet of Lockets. (Result)

You could also lean slightly to one side while lifting your leg 😃😃

• Like 1

I've got a semi-solution.

When I have people in the car, I time a cough or a sneeze when coming to a stop this masking the braking noise.

So far I've managed to pull it off and as a bonus, a work colleague bought me a packet of Lockets. (Result)

You could also lean slightly to one side while lifting your leg [emoji2][emoji2]

I'll try that tomorrow.

Ah yes the groaning brakes. 

Ive noticed a few things really. Slow movements and parking on hills seems to make it more apparent.

I fix the issue by braking very hard to clear the brakes of rust after getting wet. The front ones are fine but its the rears that don't clear the surface rust as they dont get used much in normal driving.

whenever I have had new pads and or discs on any of my cars, including my Ls400 at 180k miles now, my indie has always told me to drive gently braking for the first 150 miles to ensure smooth bedding in..................  and I've never had a noise or other brake problem.

And I guess at 21 years old the cabin in my car is as quiet as yours maybe !

Malc1

The lack of noise in the IS cabin shows up all these little things, the fan noise really irritate me. Even on lowest setting I find it too loud especially compared to the Leaf where you have to turn it up to half max before the fan is audible. 

6 hours ago, ganzoom said:

The lack of noise in the IS cabin shows up all these little things, the fan noise really irritate me. Even on lowest setting I find it too loud especially compared to the Leaf where you have to turn it up to half max before the fan is audible. 

I usually set the ac to medium and auto and it doesn't make a loud noise. I certainly don't notice it more than any other car

Another quick tip to stop the creep brake squeak is to stuff a slice of bread between disc and pad before setting off.

This only lasts until you apply the breaks for the first time but you not only stop in silence you also get the lovely smell of toast.

I find the Mega Slice loaf works best but saying that I've not tried the crusty whole meal that Hovis have just started producing.

• Like 1

Well my brakes seem fine. Just be grateful that you weren't driving my 2012 mercedes cabriolet when the rear parking brake friction material decided play up. The screech was so loud that every pedestrian in the street turned round to stare. This was especially bad when it happened on sunny Days when invariably the hood was down! 

Of course this was an intermittent fault until the parking brake broke :)  

9 hours ago, michaelH said:

If you can't creep in silence how can you startle pedestrians in the road? That's why I bought the is300h in the first place. 

Creeping should be fine as it uses regen if braking slowly anyway.

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

Creeping should be fine as it uses regen if braking slowly anyway.

Mechanical brakes always operate below 5 mph, otherwise this brake noise when creeping wouldn't exist. I only suffer from the issue coming to a complete stop and then slowly releasing the brakes (creeping). Driving slowly around a car park doesn't seem to be an issue.

As previously mentioned in this thread, high speed heavy braking will tend to clean up the pad and disc surfaces to stop the noise from occurring, at least for a short time. It seems to be caused by glazing of the pad surface from the mechanical brakes only providing very light assistance during higher speed braking, with the regen braking doing most of the work. The lighter the driver is on the brakes the worse it seems to be. Not sure why the IS seems to suffer more than other hybrids, my old RX400h or my wife's old Prius Gen 2 and current Gen 4 don't suffer from this.

• 2 weeks later...

9 minutes ago, Alan Partridges Left Glove said:

MPG.......

Happily, I now report that I'm averaging around 47mpg (after 2000+ miles) and 46.7mpg after refuel and that's with me actually driving the car not feathering the loud peddle.

I'm getting this sort of figure showing now. Tankful to tankful on the last fillip was 44.75 with an average over1800 miles of 43. 17 which is 2mpg better than my Mercedes E250 Amg sport  cabriolet and 1 Mpg better than my 2013 Mercedes c220 Amg Sport Saloon which were both on the same Wheel sizes as My Lexus. 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2016 at 1:24 PM, Alan Partridges Left Glove said:

Interesting, I might have to mention this to the service dept at Lexus Chester.

everything at lexus chester is normal especially if you ask phil

Hello

when you brake its normal to have a click and a noise like a turbine winding down. It's part of the idiosyncraticies of owning a hybrid. It's the noise of the regenerative braking system. I can understand new owners being concerned. It might be useful if the sales team mentioned it on purchasing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, marrat said:

They're probably talking about the groaning when you brake at very low speeds. 

I was. It is a grunt as the pad releases grip on the disc. According to my dealer it is normal I don't believe them.

I may try a different make of pad to see if it helps.

1 hour ago, Alan Partridges Left Glove said:

As mentioned in a previous post, my colleagues £65k Audi Q5 does the same when coming to a stop and releasing the brake.

My colleagues £50k Toureg doesn't though.  My previous 3 automatic cars didn't do it. 

I still think it is the type of pad they use:winkiss:  It is the only (I think) gripe I have with my GS!!

Ed.

To be honest, I have missed this thread for some reason, but from above description I would second.. it is normal. I had CT, IS300h and recently RC300h and all of them had grinding noise from the brakes, especially when you apply them lightly. I put that down to energy-regent brakes as suggested above. As well all were virtually new cars CT had 1600miles, RC 6000.. and IS slightly more .. I believe ~17k so it is not possible all had faulty brakes.

On the second point.. I hope you did your research and know that hybrids are not miles crunching cars like diesels? Hybrids are made for slow moving traffic in the city, and if you doing high miles on motorway, that is sadly one of rare occasions where I would recommend diesel. Hybrids on motorway are effectively petrol cars pulling heavy Battery pack e.g. even my IS250 is getting better MPG@90MPH than RC300h.

I can't say I agree with what you say about hybrids not been long distance cruisers.. my RX has served me marvellously well shooting up and down the motorway from the midlands to northern England and back numerous times in total comfort and doing 34 mph too..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't buy a GS to tootle around town in!!.

It does 45 mpg or more at motorway speeds & the motor cuts in & out when required.

The Atkinson cycle engine probably needs it for performance.  

45mpg from a large car with a 2.5 litre petrol is imho excellent. An equivalent diesel would not do much more. Diesel is the fuel of the devil!!

It is ludicrous to suggest a Lexus Hybrid is not a long distance motorway car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links