Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New, slightly downhearted IS220 owner

WellyBad

Just bought myself a stunning IS220d and absolutely love it. Have nothing bad to say about it. 

Haven't put many miles on it yet but reading the posts on here has taken the wind from my sails somewhat.

Still, hello from a new member and here's hoping mine is a good one.

Welcome to the LOC Mark.  Like I've often said, you only usually read about the problems, not the good points.  Not every IS with a diesel engine suffers so enjoy it, just like I'm enjoying my LS knowing that not every one will suffer with reported problems!

Thanks for the welcome mate.

The car I've bought has been well looked after and serviced regularly and I'm absolutely loving it. Needed something to cover large motorway miles and it's an absolute joy to drive.

Welcome Mark, keep positive! Like you say, here's hoping you have a good one. Must have been a stomach churning moment, coming on here after the purchase. Best thing is do what you are doing now, enjoy driving it. By all accounts the second generation IS is a superb car. 

It wasn't what I was expecting that's for sure. I tend to do a lot of research before buying a car but then seen a 60k mile Lexus and presumed(as you would) you'd be safe. Nothing I can do now other than enjoy it!

One happy is220d owner reporting for duty! :smile:

Don't let this forum get to you too much; you would expect it to be the devils own car reading some of the comments!

I was in the same position you are in now when I got it, but I soon realised it wasn't that bad.  Since then I have thoroughly enjoyed my Lexus experience.

I have had mine for a year and a half now, and apart from one small issue (seized caliper), I have covered 14,000 trouble free miles.

Yes, when it first arrived it needed a new flywheel, but it had covered almost 110,000 miles by then and it is hardly a Lexus specific issue.  Having said that, I am not so sure the issue was the flywheel, but that is another story.  Either way, warranty took care of most of it.

I too travel a lot on the motorway, and the diesel engine is just brilliant on there.  Not so much the gearbox, but you get used to it.

However, one thing I might suggest is an Extended Warranty.  In my experience, it is definitely worth it.  I am not just talking about the diesel either since I would have it for any Lexus I owned.  In my opinion, the peace of mind it brings is well worth it.

Oh, and post some pictures so we can all admire this beauty :smile:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shahpor said:

However, one thing I might suggest is an Extended Warranty.  In my experience, it is definitely worth it.  I am not just talking about the diesel either since I would have it for any Lexus I owned.  In my opinion, the peace of mind it brings is well worth it.

I agree, it's excellent value.

Mine is a petrol and I've already had my money's worth with a siezed caliper and misted headlamp assembly both replaced.  You also get Lexus Roadside Assistance, which is the AA top service level.

I had a 220d and it was a super car.  The only reason that I got rid of it was because I don't do many annual miles and. because of that I may, (only may mind you) have run into the problems associated with doing low mileages with a diesel.  If I had done my research before buying the car I obviously wouldn't have bought it but, only for the low annual mileage reason.

Somewhere on here you will find a thread that I started called 'Problems headed off at the pass' wherein I did the necessary EGR Valve cleaning procedure BEFORE I encountered any problems.  It was a well looked after car, with a full Lexus service history and at that time was the best car I had ever owned.

Definitely give consideration to the Extended Warranty option, well worth it in my opinion.  My current car is 3 years old next month but I've already got an extended warranty that kicks in for a further 2 years as I am unlikely to change the car within that time.

I've found my thread, here is the link

Enjoy your car Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike. Bluesman.

It's only fair to report back.

After not really fully enjoying the new car buzz we all thrive, due to reading plenty of bad reviews from all corners I've just tried to ignore it all and judge my car.

It's been superb. 

I get that loud crack from behind the stereo, which people have complained about and I laugh now I know what it is, plus if you drive it more than 45 minutes it stops.

The 6th gear makes motorway miles, which is what I do, labour intensive. 

Overall after 3 weeks and 1000 miles, all is well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome and don't let the issues put you off.  They're not unique to Lexus.  We've had issues with every diesel we've owned.  The early VW's all cracked heads for a past time, and the later PD engines in our Skodas, whilst generally good (the very best diesels we've ever owned), suffered gummed up EGRs, one car bought used having to have the inlet manifold removed and cleaned and an EGR blanking procedure done to safeguard the engine.  Then the crappy KKK turbo self destructed at 60K miles (£1300 to have a new Garret fitted), so all in all, diesels have cost us a lot of money. We also had a Merc 220 Cdi which suffered crank and camshaft sensor failure and needed a new MAFF and turbo vacuum pipes. That lot was over a grand's worth.  Long term cost of ownership, with modern PDF filter failures and dual mass flywheels self destructing affect just about all diesels (manuals in the case of the flywheeels) so Lexus is no better nor any worse than other marques.  Just view those issues as part and parcel of the running costs (ie as consumables) and your long term ownership probably works out no more costly (fuel savings considered) than a petrol equivalent.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links