Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

bit of a jerk!

Hi all

Car (Rx300 gen2) jerks a little when it's moving from around 30mph to 40mph. Also transmission seems more jerky ,i.e, not as smooth, as my x-IS250. Had the transmission oil changed few days back with Toyota Type IV and garage guy noticed a leak in the transmission. He was not sure where it was coming from but said its so small a leak I should not be worried about it. There are certainly no oil leaks on the road where I park. And I have been keeping an eye on the oil and it does not seem to be loosing any oil.

So questions are

Is it normal to have a slightly jerky transmission even after fresh oil, and, should I be worried about the tiny oil leak on the transmission?

Hi,

Happens on mine, most noticeable when approaching a roundabout at 40mph, so you slow down and if it's clear and you back on the accelerator peddle a little harder than 'feathering it', you'll get a slight jerk.

If you pop the box into Sport mode, it doesn't happen, so I just put it down to a quirk of the transmission programming!

As for the leak, most likely rusty ATF oil cooler pipes located in the engine bay roughly behind where the number plate is.

I did a write up on this and would take 30mins to change at home with basic tools and a £50 Lexus part...

Search the forum and hopefully you'll find it!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChrisKaye said:

Hi,

Happens on mine, most noticeable when approaching a roundabout at 40mph, so you slow down and if it's clear and you back on the accelerator peddle a little harder than 'feathering it', you'll get a slight jerk.

If you pop the box into Sport mode, it doesn't happen, so I just put it down to a quirk of the transmission programming!

As for the leak, most likely rusty ATF oil cooler pipes located in the engine bay roughly behind where the number plate is.

I did a write up on this and would take 30mins to change at home with basic tools and a £50 Lexus part...

Search the forum and hopefully you'll find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto - same for me. I notice it more at roundabouts - no big issue though...

Too many other RX positives to worry me!

• Like 2

As others have said, it does it on mine too. I don't know if it's the gearbox or the drive-by-wire system, or even communication between the two, but it's certainly not as responsive as other cars I've driven with a 'normal' cable-operated throttle. Again as others have said, most noticable when slowing down for an obstacle which then moves, so you can put your foot back on the accelerator to start speeding up again - always a bit of a lag between pressing the accelerator and the car beginning to pick up speed, which leads to the slight jerk.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links