Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RCF Acceleration and hesitation Issues

Hi all

I wondering if anybody else in the UK is experiencing the same issues I have and been to visit their dealer please?

When the car is in low revs and then I put my foot down sometimes, it can take as long as 2 seconds to accelerate. It almost seems as though it doesn't know what to do. I have gone to overtake and experienced this and wondered whether the car would overtake safely. I would define this as the 'turbo lag'. I think it is because it is coming out of the Atkinson cycle and changing over tot he Octto. The engineer who drove the car experienced the same as myself and are claiming that is just the way the car was designed.

I used to have an ISF and never experienced anything like this, the transmission was so smooth both up and down the gears. As it stands I would quite happily have my old car back. This is so frustrating for me as I have had a Lexus for the last 8 years and have always sworn by them. 

If anybody can help, I very much look forward to any information please on this particular issue.

Paul

Sounds a bit dangerous with a delay like that and "the way they are designed" makes me smile.

Drive by wire...give me a cable any day.

My money is on a software problem.

If it happened on a Boeing or Airbus it would be straight back to the gate!

It is extremely dangerous and this is my concern. I had full confidence in my ISF and I have lost it with the RCF. Whats the point of having a performance car when you don't know whether it will accelerate when it supposed to or not. Lexus are saying that it is driving as it should and there is not much they can do, I though more of Lexus than this to be honest with you. I feel that it does require a remap but they don't have one.

A few people in the US have had this problem and it's turned out to be the fuel pump,  also some have had there ECU flashed,on the odd occasion I have felt the same thing, more so if your driving in eco or normall, I don't think your have the same issue in sport mode

I explained to Lexus customer services today that quite a number of people have experienced this issue in the States and they have had their ECU flashed. I believe some of their issues have been down to a noisy fuel pump too and it supposed to have enhanced their driving performance, in what way, I do not know. The Lexus UK division say they are not aware of any TSB's on this issue or anybody else experiencing the same issue within the UK. I truly believe, this is inherent in this vehicle and would never have traded in my ISF if I had been made aware of this issue with the car. If it is part of the make up of the car, why isn't this made clear to any potential buyers as this major flaw could well influence a decision to buy the car oil the 1st instance; it would of mine, anyway.

I have also had this in Sport mode too. When I have been in Sports plus, just over 70 miles an hour, it hasn't held itself in high revs, it has dropped down to 2000 revs and then when I have put my foot down again it experiences the delay too.

Have you mentioned this to your dealer too please??

No I haven't said anything to the dealer, I have had my car since March 2015, and this has only realy noticed it twice, this is probably because 98% of my driving is urban, plus I drive it like a old granny. Lol. I only like it because of its looks and colour, in fact when I pre ordered it I didn't even know it was a 5ltr V8, it was only when I test drove it at the Ascari race track in Malaga I found out

This is interesting.

Both I, and a team of knowledgeable professional drivers I work with, have  experienced a similar symptom in RC 200T on some track based events. I should stress is wasn't a two second delay - probably a little less than half that. The  RC Fs we used did not suffer on circuit. We collectively surmised it was a characteristic deliberately engineered into the vehicle to protect Toyota/Lexus from litigious American drivers experiencing "unintended acceleration" (arguably known also as driver incompetence). You may recall in 2009 there was a high profile and contentious case in the States, long after the IS F was developed.

I have been on the road in my RCF for a few days now and, away from the track, I do feel a hesitancy to drop gears and accelerate at part or inconsistent throttle application in ECO mode certainly, and possibly normal mode (need to check that), but not Sport S or Sport S+ modes.

This hesitancy is overcome by a deliberate and notable throttle application leading to intended acceleration. Exactly how much throttle application varies between the modes.

i think i have also read somewhere that the ECU can take up to a 1000 miles of driving before it learns how you drive, so if you for example brought my car of me and decided to fly around in it the ECU would probably have a fit.lol. i have also read in the US that people have been disconnected there Battery for 10 min to re set the ECU, although i wouldn't suggest you do this yourself. 

i am also sure some were on the club Lexus site someone had taken a photo of the TSB in the US, ill see if i can find it,

I do very rarely get a hesitation. Its only in Eco mode and happens sometimes on a local road that has a short, steep section. If I want to overtake or accelerate, I have learnt to put it in sport or sport + and use the paddles to choose a gear. I find using kick-down provides an inconsistent response, especially in Eco, so I don't use it.

My ISF had similar characteristics, but not as obvious.

I assumed it was a normal characteristic of auto boxes. Historically I have avoided autos so have a limited experience of what a good one is and there are several cars that I didn't buy after a test drive because of an unsatisfactory auto. The IS-F and C63 are the only ones I liked

It a pity Lexus don't fit manuals in the Fs

i don't know much about the IS-F has the RC-F got more gears to choose from, if so then perhaps this may cause more of a hesitation while the car decides what gear to pick, which could be a concern as the LC will have 10 gears.

6 hours ago, wendle said:

i don't know much about the IS-F has the RC-F got more gears to choose from, if so then perhaps this may cause more of a hesitation while the car decides what gear to pick, which could be a concern as the LC will have 10 gears.

Same amount of gears but the actual unit is different. Both produced by Aisin but the one in the RC-F has Artificial Intelligence to guess  the drivers driving style etc. Therefore the ECU reset would probably help as it'll start the process again. The behaviour of the box would be explained if the car was bought used as it should have had an ECU reset before delivery/pick up.

I had an interesting experience today. After about 90 mins of fun in North Wales driving in S+ and using the paddles, I put it back in Eco Auto for the final 30 miles. In a couple of places near home that I drive most days there was an unusual hesitation to shift down this afternoon. I wonder if I confused the AI by giving it the beans for such a length of time. I'll see if the hesitation happens again this week.

After speaking to Lexus last week they told me that this is a characteristic of that particular car. Unfortunately, when l asked them about this issue whilst negotiating buying it, they failed to explain this important fact to me that would, without a shadow of doubt, influenced my initial decision to buy the car. 

Under the sales of good act, if asked they have to tell you. They do not have to say anything unless specifically asked.

I am very disheartened and disappointed in Lexus as a whole 8 years no-issue motoring l have had only to be ruined by this inherent issue with their new flagship RCF.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:09 PM, Lexus RCF1 said:

Hi all

I wondering if anybody else in the UK is experiencing the same issues I have and been to visit their dealer please?

When the car is in low revs and then I put my foot down sometimes, it can take as long as 2 seconds to accelerate. It almost seems as though it doesn't know what to do. I have gone to overtake and experienced this and wondered whether the car would overtake safely. I would define this as the 'turbo lag'. I think it is because it is coming out of the Atkinson cycle and changing over tot he Octto. The engineer who drove the car experienced the same as myself and are claiming that is just the way the car was designed.

I used to have an ISF and never experienced anything like this, the transmission was so smooth both up and down the gears. As it stands I would quite happily have my old car back. This is so frustrating for me as I have had a Lexus for the last 8 years and have always sworn by them. 

If anybody can help, I very much look forward to any information please on this particular issue.

Paul

I also experience this issue but in eco only. I would recommend driving in normal.

There is a  plug and play mod that should help with what you are describing, plus it fills a blank slot (Y)

http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/index.php/electronics/smart-controller/smart-accel-controller.html

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links