Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In a bid to improve the inadequate low beam HID lights on the GS450H I am converting them from D4S 35 watt to D2S 55 watt to see what improvements can be made. The D2S HID's are marginally brighter on a watt for watt basis, but I believe there is another 10 to 15% improvement to be gained by going to 55 watts. I will report back on my findings.

John

The beams are aimed perfectly and the bulbs are new genuine Phillips.

I live in a very rural area with no street lighting, and going from main beam to dip when a car comes in the other direction the lighting goes almost into darkness. Cars behind me often light the road in front of me better than my headlamps.

The headlamps are clean, and in good condition.This is in comparison to a gen2 Prius with old technology single bulb halogen headlamps that lit the road well.

John

Adjusting the headlamp height is much easier by adjusting the ride height rod on the NS front suspension. This adjusts both headlamps at the same time without having to keep moving out of the beam to see how your doing. It only requires the steering on a left hand lock, and slackening one 10 mm nut.

John

16 hours ago, stormcracker said:

any photos of the NS suspension adjustment. Im in agreement the dip beam is like a candle in a jam jar 

The adjustment is made at the top of this rod by slackening the 10 mm nut and sliding the bolt along the slot in the required direction.

John.

20161016_104845283_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now installed 55 watt D2S bulbs with suitable ballasts. The results in my opinion is it is well worth the effort giving an improvement in brightness estimated at about 30%.

At the moment I have fitted the ballasts, and wiring in a temporary fashion "not wishing to dismantle the front of the car to change the ballasts until the system was proven" by removing the bulb access round covers fitting the 55 watt bulbs and wiring through the access points from the new ballasts. I have removed the OEM ballast fuses, and picked up the feed for the new ballasts at the fuse points.

The bulbs used were cheap Chinese 55 watt D2S bulb at £12 the pair and some equally cheap Sun Wolf 55 watt ballasts that I had lying around. I would not recommend these ballasts as they run very hot, but for test purposes are fine.

The light output is now I believe what it should have been. Lighting the road well with an identical beam cutoff to the OEM bulbs. This modification does not produce a large increase in light output, but does make an appreciable difference to night driving. I have had no flashes from on coming traffic.

All that now remains is to dismantle the front end of the car to make the mod permanent, or alternately I "may" drill the bulb access covers and take the wires in through those with suitable grommets. This would allow the OEM system to be reinstalled easily.

John. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links