Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Big suspension shock

2002 LS 430, 35,000 miles. Doing a simple antifreeze change. jack up car. Do change. Release car and the front suspension goes down and down till the car is 9 inches off the floor. Go for a test drive and suspension goes back to normal.

Then do an oil change, same thing. Go for a drive, front suspension goes back to normal where it now is.

Is this normal, that when the car is jacked up this happens.

This is my first time without steel springs and it was pretty scary.

Help/advice much appreciated.

......  maybe there's a specific formal process to be followed when jacking the car up ?  Or maybe a specific methodology that has to be followed including even when changing a flat tyre/wheel at the side of the road :wallbash:

Malc1

That is a relief. Yes my jack was also trapped so I had to use another to free it. Doing a flat tyre and seeing this would cause a nervous breakdown. I had visions of a £3,000 visit to Lexus.

I wonder if one just always leaves it, drives away, and it always goes like this or if there is a method.

Perhaps it is because when all the weight of off, or nearly off the car, the suspension thinks it has no work to do (in supporting the cars weight) and therefore relaxes down to the minimum bump stop? I did start the engine when it was up in the air, don't know if that effects it.

In my Owner's Manual, under 'Fitting Spare Wheel'  it gives the following set-up sequence:

Set parking brake.

Put gear lever into P

Switch off engine.

After changing the wheel it just says to lower the car and remove the jack. I have no idea if this sequence will stop the problem as I haven't had to remove a wheel yet.

Actually, thinking about it, I have my parking brake set to 'Auto' and in this mode it doesn't apply till the gearshift is in P. Perhaps they mean you must, first, manually set the parking brake THEN put the gear lever to P.

I've also read that the engine should not be started when the car is jacked up and the weight is off the suspension.  I'm guessing that as it's gone back to normal you've got nothing to worry about.

Earlier model LS400s, usually JDM imports with air suspension had a switch located in the boot which needed to be in the off position before jacking up the car.

It may be worth checking the 430 isn't similar.

Went for a 5 mile drive today and everything fine and normal. It would appear that starting the engine 'up in the air' is the problem. I only did it as I needed to circulate fluids and check there were no leaks, before finishing the job off.

• 2 weeks later...

Citroen DS wheel change?

Loosen wheel nuts.

Put car on 'high' setting.......up goes car.

Put supplied stand under jack point.

Put car back to 'normal' setting......wheel is now off the ground.

take off wheel etc., etc..

Easy peasy!

I once had to change THREE wheels -thanks vandal with screwdriver!

Luckily I HAD 3 spares!

Took about 10 mins!

Spend next ten minutes looking at beautiful DS23....then softly cruise away!

Memories of youth!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links