Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D Mystery

oluD

Hi All,

I am at my wits end with a strange problem I have with my lexus. The car brings out white smoke intermittently. It doesn't smoke when you start it but when the engine gets warm and you are driving along, it may suddenly start smoking for about 20-30seconds and then stop. The drive is normal(fine) and there no warning lights coming up on the dash. I took it to a garage a few months ago and was told that there were no indications of any serious problems. I live in Chelmsford and would appreciate any recommendation of a good lexus garage.

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem with my 220d. I found it very embarrassing when the car was chuffing out plumes of smoke most days on way to work. was told it was to do with the 5th injector . 

It sounds like the DPF is regenerating, like Peter says.

Your best bet I think is to find someone with the Techstream software, or a main dealer, to have a look for you.

If it is the DPF, and it is blowing smoke frequently, then it suggests it is quite blocked, so a forced regen might be a good idea.

OluD I took my vehicle to lexus Wolverhampton. Not sure exactly what they did but they changed the settings for the 5th injector on the ecu. The car hardly ever gave any smoke out at all as a result . 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi oluD, I bought a Lexus is220d 07plate 96k on clock. Have exactly same issue as you. Had a terraclean and egr clean done. Seemed to fix it for while but now have the smoking intermittently. Only happens when car temp reaches halfway on gauge smokes like hell goes away after 30 seconds or so.

in my case the eml vsc warning triangle comes on but car drives normally no limp mode at all. Lights go off after restarting few times. Plugged in obd2 reader got p2002 error dpf below threshold

not sure if dpf still blocked even after clean and motorway driving to clear crap out. It's doing my head in. Had a Toyota Corolla for 12 years no engine issues. Then I bought a Lexus, more issues in two months than twelve with Corolla.

still love the is just wish knew about this forum before buying would have got the 250 petrol. So much for diesel being the answer. This wil be my first and last diesel how come you don't see other cars pumping the white smoke out like the is? Bloody embarrassing at times. 

These cars are an absolute nightmare and nothing but trouble and an embarrassment to lexus. The sooner they are all off the road the better.

I had a variety of problems with mine and after many trips to the garage and spending a fortune in repairs I threw in the towel and traded it in for the is250.

Now this car really is a lexus. It's not just better it's light years ahead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peachy said:

These cars are an absolute nightmare and nothing but trouble and an embarrassment to lexus. The sooner they are all off the road the better.

A bit dramatic, don't you think?

These car are not an absolute nightmare, and the problems they suffer are mostly the same as all modern diesel cars.  A vast majority of issues that are posted on here are either EGR or DPF related.  If you browse other car forum (like I do), then you will see that this is hardly isolated to only Lexus cars.

I have now covered almost 20k miles in mine in less than 2 years, and I have not suffered either of these problems because (a) I clean my EGR regulary, and (b) I drive my car as it should be, namely blasting up and down a motorway.

I bet you a lot of the owners on here with problems are just driving around town without ever giving the car a workout.

Are there IS220'd out there with more problems than just the ones mentioned?  Yes, of course, but that could happen to any car.

But, remove the EGR and DPF issues, and I don't think it is a very unreliable car, and certainly not an embarrassment to anyone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

A bit dramatic, don't you think?

These car are not an absolute nightmare, and the problems they suffer are mostly the same as all modern diesel cars.  A vast majority of issues that are posted on here are either EGR or DPF related.  If you browse other car forum (like I do), then you will see that this is hardly isolated to only Lexus cars.

I have now covered almost 20k miles in mine in less than 2 years, and I have not suffered either of these problems because (a) I clean my EGR regulary, and (b) I drive my car as it should be, namely blasting up and down a motorway.

I bet you a lot of the owners on here with problems are just driving around town without ever giving the car a workout.

Are there IS220'd out there with more problems than just the ones mentioned?  Yes, of course, but that could happen to any car.

But, remove the EGR and DPF issues, and I don't think it is a very unreliable car, and certainly not an embarrassment to anyone.

I agree entirely!

• Like 1

Obviously the is220d has its problems and it's not just the egr and dpf. Head gaskets and 5th injector problems are common and it's not the best car to drive with the massive turbo lag and miss matched gearbox. Who wants to own a car that needs constant high speed motorway runs and regular cleaning of the egr valve to avoid issues? 

The is220d gets a lot of negative feedback here mostly from is250 owners and it's easy to see why. The 250 is basically flawless. Has a silky smooth gearbox that is mated perfectly to the powerful V6 engine. 

32 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Who wants to own a car that needs constant high speed motorway runs and regular cleaning of the egr valve to avoid issues? 

How about 3 of the 4 posters above you? :smile:

Seriously though, it is higher rev's, not high speed that is required.  Mine does about 2200rpm in 5th at 70mph, which is ideal.

As for cleaning the EGR valve, you can just add it to your annual caliper slide pin greasing service (it takes less time than greasing the pins does).

diesels are designed for motorway usage anyway, so driving this on smaller journeys is a bad thing. and the gearing isn't mis-matched, the gearbox is designed for the driver to be able to utilise more rpm's and to give it a sportier feel. you just have to know how to drive it properly to get the most out of it.

as for the head gasket issues, I read somewhere that when these cars came from factory they had a antifreeze in them that ate the head gaskets, thus causing problems. also a lot of people have a heavy foot and give it some wellie from cold, which is very bad thing to do.... should leave turbo cars approx. 30 seconds to get oil circulating on start-up and all engines should be fully warmed up before using higher power.

It's only when you upgrade the lexus is220d for the is250 that you realise how poor the car actually is. Despite the issues I encountered I actually loved my is220d. When lexus fixed the problems it was a joy to drive despite the clunk from 1st into 2nd and the turbo lag.

If I hadn't found this forum I would probably still be running around in it now. However after reading all the good things on here regarding the 250 I decided I had to have one.

It really does feel like a totally different car. 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2017 at 10:49 PM, peachy said:

I had a variety of problems with mine and after many trips to the garage and spending a fortune in repairs I threw in the towel and traded it in for the is250.

Now this car really is a lexus. It's not just better it's light years ahead. 

Just been on my honeymoon to the west coast of Scotland in my IS220d, 56 plate with 119000 on the clock. Did almost 2000 miles in it on a variety of roads, never missed a beat,no smoke at all, drove extremely well and as comfortable on the little single track roads as on the motorways. Drove home yesterday and did 300 miles on half tank of diesel(about £32.00). Did 6th gear most of the way on the motorway at 75/80. No rumbling or whinning from the gearbox, just heaven to drive. Maybe i am lucky and have found one that has been well looked after before i bought it.

18 hours ago, Psychotic Madman said:

Just been on my honeymoon to the west coast of Scotland in my IS220d, 56 plate with 119000 on the clock. Did almost 2000 miles in it on a variety of roads, never missed a beat,no smoke at all, drove extremely well and as comfortable on the little single track roads as on the motorways. Drove home yesterday and did 300 miles on half tank of diesel(about £32.00). Did 6th gear most of the way on the motorway at 75/80. No rumbling or whinning from the gearbox, just heaven to drive. Maybe i am lucky and have found one that has been well looked after before i bought it.

Mine was transformed at low revs after the EGR was cleaned - Best £96 I've spent on it!

It seems to me that during the normal yearly service include the caliper slider pins lubrication and EGR cleaning and everything will be ok.

On a side note head gasket failure is covered by Lexus extended warranty as well as many other parts like DMF and clutch release bearing etc. 2 Years extended warranty including top AA breakdown cover is a no brainer at £995 - 2 years worry free motoring, after my warranty expires I will decide to keep or let it go, the is250 is the one I would look at.......