Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D: some data before & after DPF regeneration (Techstream)

Aircheese

I recently received the Techstream which I brought from eBay 2 month ago for checking the Block percentage of DPF.

Luckily”, my DPF problems happened again (the 3th times in 7400 mil) and I recorded the data before and after the DPF regeneration using the TS.

The TS dose show more data compared to cheap EM327 OBD2 scanner. An it dose provide DPF regeneration function that you might simply sit still and rev the engine to regen without dangerously stop-start driving on motorway.

So, I wanna share with you guys.

In the NEXT TWO screenshots below, please pay attention to the “0” column and "DPF PM BLOCK" row. The ECU saved the P2002 error with last 3 data, the time error occur data and 1 data followed. These 2 screenshots record the data at when the DPF block error occured.

2.png

3.png

After checked up the ERROR code P2002, I start to looking for some data to show the available capacity of DPF. On other cars, it would be shown as percentage like "150% full". But I failed to find it. The only data I could check is the DPF differential pressure, which also shown on upper 2 screen shot. The differential pressure is also the source that ECU tells how much the DPF is blocked.

The data highlighted in screenshot below is the DPF differential pressure.

This screenshot was taken at I was just going to start DPF regen. Throttle in IDLE, you can tell by looking in Engine speed.

6.png

This screenshot below was taken when I just started to regen.  After I switched on the regen, one data related to DPF regen change, which is the After Injection Period. I think it means that the engine is actually started to heat up the exhaust gas. But I didn't notice when I took the screenshot.

9.png

As the requirements (tank not overfull, rev at 1750 to 2750, coolant above 75 Celsius, shown in the TS when selected the regen test. but not shown in the screenshot) of regen process, the car was sitting still and gearbox in neutral with engine revved at around 2000 rpm. (Is the throttle not controller by TS? I had to press the pedal by myself). You can see that the differential pressure going all the way up to 11kpa (110mbar) when the engine revved at 2200rpm.

10.png

I kep the throttle at around 2000 rpm for about 5 minute. (The regen was acutrally works but I didnt notice at the time. So I doubted that the regen dosent works. I stopped it and decided to have a motorway run)

The screenshot was taken several minutes after I started regen( you can see on the engine running time.)

It actually improved by seeing the differential pressure 8.9kpa compared to 11kpa (2 minutes ago).

11.png

After I went on the M1, the car did enter limp mode a few mils at 3rd & 60mph. But never enter limp again. The process time is much much shorter than previous times (10 stop-start period)

Then I cleaned the error by OBD2 scanner.

Here are the screenshot after all the works, please take attention on the DPF differential pressure

The engine was on idle.

12.png

These 2 were on 2000 rpm

14.png

15.png

The diff pressure which is much lower than which before the DPF regeneration.

I can feel each time after the DPF regen, the car throttle respond is improved.

I do record the time that DPF problem occurred and the additive I added. I post it out as a reference. It looks like the DPF problem happens to me every 3000 mil.

123.png

The recent time mileage is 107400.

The regen test looks like this. The description is in Chinese but nothing important in it. 

5.png

My driving style is already change a lot from last time, always 5th@70mph, 6th@above 75mph. EGR cleaned and exhaust recircle error is always very low (0~10%).

I still dont know how can I fix the DPF problem. i didnt try to update my ECU since the car was last serviced in lexus centre in 2010, the ECU might be out dated. I have call lexus and hope to get my ecu update soon. By the way, the TS does have a ECU upgrade function, maybe I can do it myself but I want to try lexus centre first. Does any one know the cost of ECU upgrade?

The check with TS every several hundreds mils might help me to monitoring the DPF and tell me when add DPF cleaner.

• Like 2

Excellent post, very informative.

Interesting results too.

So, to sum up, before the regen your DPF pressure was 0.9 at idle and 11.19 at 2000rpm, and afterwards was -0.07 at idle and somewhere between 1.8 and -2.5?

That is quite a difference.  I am going to have to break out my TechStream and see what my readings are.

I don't suppose you know what the normal pressure range is?

Also, when you start the regen process in TechStream, do you need to stop it manually or does it stop itself after a certain amount of time?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Excellent post, very informative.

Interesting results too.

So, to sum up, before the regen your DPF pressure was 0.9 at idle and 11.19 at 2000rpm, and afterwards was -0.07 at idle and somewhere between 1.8 and -2.5?

That is quite a difference.  I am going to have to break out my TechStream and see what my readings are.

I don't suppose you know what the normal pressure range is?

Also, when you start the regen process in TechStream, do you need to stop it manually or does it stop itself after a certain amount of time?

Thanks.

Thank you Shahpor,

The reading is not an average num; it dose go up and down a little bit.

You might use the live data plotting to see the average value. I didnt know at that time that I could reduce the num of data to increase the data update rate.(which is about 20 seconds in my screenshots, shows on the bottom bar of the TIS)

I would say before the DPF regen, it's 0.7 to 2.5 at idle and around 10 at 2krpm. Both nums after regen are near 0. 

You could check this for the data after regen:

I dont think I did regen successfully by using TIS. Because I was the one to control throttle, which shouldnt be me.

I saw some video on youtube today and their TIS could even start-up the engine. Please post also share if you know exactly how to make it run.

I dont know what will happen after it is finished cause, at that time, I dont think it ran correctly.

Regards,

• 3 months later...

Great post. I just bought a TS cable for my Lexus IS 220d. Can you tell me how to regen DPF through TS without driving on the motorway? and how to check the DPF is full? which indicates the DPF regn is needed.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Update - after 3 hours of trying, both stationary and on the M5 I finally managed to get TS to initialize a regen. For a long time the software would immediately switch to 'Complete', which is a fault - if it can't perform the task it should say 'error'. Anyway, after many (20??) attempts on both DPF clean cycles it started working, temps up in the 500s and me keeping the revs on the M5 at 2500 she cleared out for 20 mins. reset all the lights and then took it to Car Surgeons anyway. a lovely chap who re-did it fori me. As I'd already cleaned the DPF he only charged me £150. Ran great for 2000 miles but I've sold it now - far too much hassle. Hope it lasts a long time for the next person. Real shame - lovely car apart from that.

• 5 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links