Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 (2003) Engine Warning Lights - a problem, and then a solution

First, the problem.

The orange engine warning light came on, but the car was behaving and driving normally (or so I thought - see later).  A quick look at this forum, and a general Google around, indicated that the orange warning light was not a major fault.  I was already going to put the car in to the garage in a few weeks and thought it could wait until then.

Then one morning the red warning light came on, and as I reversed up the drive the ASC also came on.  At this point I definitely became concerned.  I parked the car up and used my wife's, and when I got home that evening, out the came the laptop again.  It was suggested by some that the solution could be as simple, and cheap, as a new petrol cap.  I bought one with next day delivery, and next day I fitted it.  Started the engine, all the dashboard lights went out, one by one.  For thirty seconds  or so I was greatly relieved, and then the orange engine warning light came back on. "Oh dear", or words to that effect.

The next solution offered was to find the OBD connector and using a paperclip short out two specific pins.  Seemed simple, but the idea of deliberately shorting across two pins made me feel a little anxious, but several unrelated websites said it worked.  The problem was first finding the OBD interface.  Several sites pointed me to different locations, where it was not to be found.  If you ever need to find it on a 2003 LS430, it is to be found deep under the dashboard, behind a flap, just above where your shin would be if you were pressing down on a clutch pedal.  I followed the instructions, a lot of flashing lights on the dashboard, which settled down as described in the instructions.  I turned off the ignition, removed the paper clip from the OBD socket and turned the ignition back on.  Back came my little friends - more 'Oh Dear, Oh Dear' and off to the laptop.

The next thing to try was to attach the OBD reader I had purchased years ago for a different car, and look on the Android Play Store for some suitable free apps.  There seemed to be several which would read faults, but not so many that would clear codes.  A number of the apps confirmed that left bank of cylinders was running lean and that a temperature sensor was showing a fault.  I tried some of the apps to clear the faults and turn off the warning lights, but alas none was effective.

So, down to the local garage and booked the car in, having relayed the above to the owner.

On the day he connected up his diagnostic equipment and found that indeed the left bank of cylinders was reporting they were running lean, the 'temperature' sensor fault turned out to be a faulty lambda probe and he was able to clear the fault with the ASC, having reset the sensor.  He handed the car over to me saying all the warning lights were no longer coming on.  Pleased, I took the car out for a run.  All the warning lights remained off for the first five miles or so and then the amber warning light came on.  Being now very focussed on the response of the engine, I sensed it was not as powerful as I recalled.  Could this be that the left bank of cylinders was so lean that in effect it was only running on four?

Back to the garage.

The car was booked in, and the first day they had it they removed the lambda sensor which was indicating the fault and made sure they ordered the correct replacement.  This was delivered to them the next day and they replaced it.  I have just collected the car, no warning lights of any sort and it is accelerating smartly, making me realise that I had been losing power before all this started without realising.  I have yet to be given the bill.

Is there a moral to this tale?  If there is, it is probably to not ignore warning lights (even if people suggest they are not critical); get it to a professional with the right diagnostic equipment and don't rely on free apps (even Torque).

• Like 3

Had exactly the same problem some weeks back on my 2005, LS430 on 80,000 miles.

Fortunately, I had a code reader and was able to diagnose the problem immediately. Heater element gone on Bank 1, Sensor 1.

Bought a Denso replacement lambda sensor for about £65 on eBay, and my local garage charged £30 to fit it. Problem solved and no warning lights.

Good code readers are available online and not too expensive. As you mention, the socket is down under the dash on the left hand side, but you have to scrabble about finding it. Never ignore warning lights, they will not go away unless action is taken.  Good luck for the future.

• Like 1

Hi Brendan

I was going to start a simillar thread but you beat me to it.

I have a similar problem on my 04 plate 430 - the engine light is on with VSC off warning and red triangle - but no loss of performance or any difference in the drivability- I took it to a garage and it was diagnosed as oxygen sensor - I was hoping to get it done in the next few weeks when i read on the GS forum regarding the petrol cap.

I purchased a New gasket (actually got it free from the toyota garage) after steve kindly gave me the part number.

I replaced the seal yesterday - reset the ECU and done a 3 mile run - so far no lights.

I guess only time will tell as I have not driven it much

I had similar lights.... the garage turned them off and said that it was the lambda sensor in the exhaust, - the light didn't come back for about 3 months.... - it came on again, - lasted about 5 days - went off on it's own after I filled it with petrol (so as above, - something to do with the petrol cap)

On 11/26/2016 at 1:33 PM, PJD said:

I had similar lights.... the garage turned them off and said that it was the lambda sensor in the exhaust, - the light didn't come back for about 3 months.... - it came on again, - lasted about 5 days - went off on it's own after I filled it with petrol (so as above, - something to do with the petrol cap)

I don't think the petrol cap thing should ever be taken lightly.  This is what it says on my Volvo fuel cap.

007.jpg

• Like 1