Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Booked the car in tomorrow ( LS 600) for replacement front wheel bearing. Lexus Guildford couldn't give me a price so will find out when job's done.

Anyone give me an idea of what sort of shock I should prepare myself for.

What are the symptoms? 

It may pay to ask to see the old bearing ..my alleged IS200 bearing failure was actually a build up of rust on the edge of the disc making contact with the back plate...Although it was done at an indie I received a refund. 

All the usual symptons, rumbling noise when speed increases, wheel off the ground and rocking side to side (feel the wobble).

Have been dealing with Guildford for the last 15 years and trust them completely, I'm certain its the bearing.

Don't want to start a debate on the benefits of Warranties. Never been a believer in insurance policies. Have worked in, and know many people in the insurance sector and know their lifestyles, somebody's paying for that.

Chances are that a wheel bearing is a wear and tear item anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, graham8370 said:

Booked the car in tomorrow ( LS 600) for replacement front wheel bearing. Lexus Guildford couldn't give me a price so will find out when job's done.

Anyone give me an idea of what sort of shock I should prepare myself for.

Lexus will only replace the complete hub costing around £400.00 plus a couple of hours labour....my guess is £650-700 including the wash and vacuum.

OMG  that sounds a fortune, should it have " gone " at just 104k miles ?

Just out of interest Steve, what's the possible cost for an indie to do this on an ancient Ls400 ?  ( like mine if heaven forbid one ever needs doing )

Malc1

I had a nearside front go on my Mark 1 at 140k and it cost £60 for the bearing and £110 for an indie to fit .

It is a consumable and the quality does matter on life span but a pothole can cause them to go prem.

9 hours ago, Malc1 said:

OMG  that sounds a fortune, should it have " gone " at just 104k miles ?

Just out of interest Steve, what's the possible cost for an indie to do this on an ancient Ls400 ?  ( like mine if heaven forbid one ever needs doing )

Malc1

The main difference as I mentioned is Lexus will replace the complete hub ( "transmission gone Sir, that will be £7000.00 to replace") where as an indie will probably just replace the bearing in the original hub.

Quality Japanese bearings are available and anyone with a suitable press can do the job at a fraction of the cost of a new hub.

I have done both my idler and tensioner bearings on my LS using basic hand tools for around £15.00 for both bearings with zero "spanner" cost or I could have bought new pulleys for around £100.00.

Probably looking £60.00 for the bearing and seals and a couple of hours labour at your indie's rate.

hope you enjoyed a free cuppa coffee or two and a good read of an upmarket newspaper too  ..........  and the wash and valet ?

Done while you wait maybe ?

Malc 1

28 minutes ago, graham8370 said:

Steve's this weeks  winner with his guess of £650. He was right again with them only replacing the whole Hub Assembly.

Actual cost £600, car drives like new, very pleased.

I know it is expensive but I would do as you have done and replace both hub and bearing with Lexus parts. In fact I would go further and renew the unit on the other end of the axle by way of preventative maintenance.

After reading the extensive thread on the USA owner's site I have doubts about pressing out the bearings on this car. Too many cases of perfectly good makes of bearing failing again after say just 20,000 miles.

Not saying this to try to convince anyone else and if I had to economise would use a press.

I had the same problem last year on my LS 430. Fitted new complete hub from Lexus, but done at an indie, I think it cost around £400 fitted and all well. Would not have just bought the bearing, my choice.