Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fixed annoying rattle, thought I'd share the fix

So, I've had a an annoying creek coming from what I thought was the b pillar, turns out it was the door seal, sprayed the seals with gt85, and the annoying creek that had been driving me mad for there last 12 months has gone!

Just thought I'd share incase anyone else is suffering the same annoyance.

• Like 3

It's a good idea to lubricate all the rubber seals a couple of times a year, especially around now before winter sets in causing them to

harden and maybe to stick.   For many years I've been using a specific German rubber-care product with its own pad applicator called

Einszett Gummi Pflege, and have always been impressed by its effectiveness.   I believe the name in some countries including the 

U.K. has recently been changed to Nextzett, but the product is the same.

• Like 2

It's nice when you finally stop that annoying creek or squeak.

I remember my Peugeot RCZ, the wipers always had a shudder when in operation, no matter what the garage and I did it'll only be silent for a week or two.

The dilemma I have with my IS300h is I've a lovely quiet cabin but the noisiest child seat in the world. Yes I could take it out every day after dropping the ankle biter off at the childminder but all that in and out each week would result in my damaging the interior or worse.

Q: is the a allowed time limit you can put a small child in the boot of a car?

• Like 1

Interesting... my driver's side door sounds like It is creaking in its frame, rubber door seals getting hard in the cold could be the problem. Where do you buy this stuff?

Again, just like winter tyres, this is something else that I've never needed to use in more than 40 years-worth of driving. I've had cars that have been over 20 years old when I've got rid of them but never had squeaky, leaky or hardened rubber door seals.

Have I just been extremely lucky? Are you folks just overly-sensitive/protective or is there really something to it? I appreciate it will never do any harm to lubricate the rubber but does it really do any good?

me

2 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Again, just like winter tyres, this is something else that I've never needed to use in more than 40 years-worth of driving. I've had cars that have been over 20 years old when I've got rid of them but never had squeaky, leaky or hardened rubber door seals.

Have I just been extremely lucky? Are you folks just overly-sensitive/protective or is there really something to it? I appreciate it will never do any harm to lubricate the rubber but does it really do any good?

Me too also aswell!   Have never used winter tyres nor rubber treatments in 58 years of driving but, I'm going to give this stuff a go anyway. As sorcerer says "won't do any harm"

One of my major problems at the moment is getting a decent GLASS CLEANER.

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

me

Me too also aswell!   Have never used winter tyres nor rubber treatments in 58 years of driving but, I'm going to give this stuff a go anyway. As sorcerer says "won't do any harm"

One of my major problems at the moment is getting a decent GLASS CLEANER.

I have tried different glass cleaners but always end up going back to  hot water with a good dash of white vinegar and a good quality cotton cloth. I find that an old white t-shirt that has been washed a few times works best..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

.... I appreciate it will never do any harm to lubricate the rubber but does it really do any good?

I suppose it depends on your local climate and where and how you park your car.  I too never worried about hardened rubber seals

until, some years ago, in a motel car-park in Germany in the middle of winter I yanked open the door of a frost-covered rental Ford Mondeo

and detached the rubber seal from the entire length of the door-pillar.  Getting the rubber back into position before I could close the  door

and drive off was a job I would not have wished on my worst enemy.   When I returned the car to Hertz later in the day, the

guy told me that this should not have happened because it was company policy to lubricate the seals in preparation for winter. They 

had apparently missed this one since the seals looked very dry and almost white.   He then disappeared into a back room and came

back with a spray can of Einszett which he presented me for use with my own car, and I got into the habit of using it ever since.

5 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Winter Tyre's depends on where you live and usage.  We have always put them on my wife's car as she does the uphill and down dale runs (we live in  quite rural Yorkshire).  I decided to put them on my old car as I travel a lot and a few times, early morning, have nearly missed flights.  What made me switch was one morning the motorway was covered, and keeping the car in a straight line was a nightmare.  I found out after I got back somebody died on that stretch about 15 minutes after I went past.  As we have now moved upto the top of a hill, which is a steep single track road I am glad I have them, although last year they were unnecessary, but most of the tyre places nearby do a tyre hotel and only charge £7.50 per tyre to swap over and store.  So for £30 twice a year it's a bit of no brainer.  

With Regards Rattles and things, the Lexus is the only car where I have ever had to do anything.  It is such a shame it has disappointed me, but courtesy cars when mine has been in for services have been fine, so think i'm just unlucky.  

My Previous car was a 2006 Mazda 3, did 120,000 miles in it, and when I got rid didn't have one rattle or squeaky door seal.

On 12/5/2016 at 2:12 PM, darrude said:

Winter Tyre's depends on where you live and usage. .....etc., etc.  

Right enough.   Winter tyres are something you probably don't fully appreciate until you find yourself in a situation where you really need

them, which, in effect, means situations you should try to avoid but, for one reason or another, cannot.  As for myself, quite apart from

the snowy and icy conditions for which they are specifically designed, they also give me greater confidence in temperatures of 10°C or

lower in the wet, which could be anywhere in Europe in winter, even in a mild one like last year.  My only complaint regards the expense

in terms of purchase, storage and substitution (I've just grudgingly paid over €1,100, discounted, for a set of 19" Pirelli Sottozero's), but                                                      

this, as usual, will be largely offset by the prolonged life of the summer ones.

As far as I know the only country where winter tyres are legally required (as an alternative to carrying chains in your vehicle) is Italy, with

some regional variations in seasonality but generally from November to April.  More cleverly, Germany, Austria and Switzerland make

drivers formally responsible for equipping their cars to cater for adverse weather conditions, and by so doing, actually force them,

in practice, to fit winter tyres or carry chains under threat of heavy fines or even an invalidation of their insurance if they cause or are 

involved in weather-related accidents without them.   I don't know how true it is, but I have heard the story of zealous local German 

police forces fining drivers for recklessness if they are caught without winter tyres or chains on board even if snow is merely forecast.   

Which I suppose makes some kind of sense if you believe the police seriously has the safety of the motoring population at heart.

• 1 month later...

the door seal making a noise is a common Lexus issue, had it on my IS and GS. The rubber seems to dry out and rub together over bumps giving a noise like when you open a fridge door. Treat mine with WD40 silicone lube and solves the problem. Never had this on any other car I've ever owned. On the flip side only Lexus issue I've had over 3 years of ownership.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links