Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How much engine oil....really...

Hi

I spent too long on an oil change today. One of those days where I couldn't get organised and should have jacked the car up from the get-go to benefit from more clearance.

Again, like last year, 6ltrs does not take the oil level to the max on the dip stick. I'm on even ground etc.

The manual says 5.6ltrs with filter but that's well short. It's just not right.

I've put 6 in and will check it cold tomorrow. I wondered if 5.6 was to a fill 1/2 way between min/max?

Most V8's are in the 6.5ltr region and I reckon it's around that. 

My LS430 last week took 5 litres and was half wayish down between min and max. I suspect about .3 litre will bring it up to where I like,  i.e. 3mm below max. I am always very conservative on this, putting in just 4+ litres to start with. Too many garages just stick it in, and then watch as it is way over the max on the dipstick.

I put 5 litres in mine and with an oil filter change the oil comes to about half way between max and min on the dipstick. Since neither if my cars seem to use any oil between annual oil changes, I do not add any more oil and leave the oil level at half way.

Since my Prius when every Toyota garage overfilled it, I cannot understand why this is a big issue.

Find out what 'the book' says is the correct fill up.

Put in one litre less. That will likely to fill it to the bottom of the min on the dipstick. Start engine and run for 3 mins. Wait 3 mins and check dipstick. Then add a bit more, wait and check and bring it up to 3 mm below max. After about 3 oil changes on my old Saab, I knew that 4 litres was spot on. On my LS 430 it is 5 litres plus a small top-up to be perfect.

Thanks my friends.

checked this morning having had 6ltrs in and it's a bit below the max. Same as last oil change...I put 5.6 in last time and thought I'd burnt oil...but hadn't as when I get it to max, there it stays. I'm getting another ltr.

my drain tank is 6 ltrs and it filled that with a soggy filter with a little left in the filter.

i reckon I'll be at 6.4

filter is Lexus.

oh well...

The LS400 mark 4 with vvt-i engine takes 6 litres to get on the full mark (dipstick.)half a litre more than pre- vvt-i.

Remove the oil filter after the sump drain and if you jack up the car on the nearside and remove the front wheel it is a lot easier to get at the oil filter, this practice also ensures you get most of the residue out of the sump as it tilts to the offside.

I now change every two years as the mileage is around 5k a year.

The engine does burn a small amount of oil depending on engine wear as my Mark1 got past 140k miles it sent out a puff of blue smoke on start up after being stood for a few days. As the valve seals wore the oil would drip onto the pistons whilst the car was stood idle and burn off on start up,the more they wear the more oil falls on to the piston .

During normal running the amount seeping through is not enough to cause a blue smoke cloud, it is burnt off on each stroke.

Yes

I checked again and it's at the top mark and that makes it 6 ltrs for a full fill including Lexus filter.

That'll do for a while.

Now for the lower suspension bars - that'll be another post!