Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 IS250 Sport - Manual

ChilasPT

Hi Everyone,

Just got our first Lexus, I've been an inactive member of the Toyota owners club, had an Aygo in Portugal, and have an IQ now here in the UK, and as of last week, also an IS 250 :)

Have so many questions! :) but am kind of reassured that we made the right choice, we were almost going to get a 220d, but since we drive 2-3k miles a year on each car, we think we are better off with the petrol!

It's got 70k miles, (checked via previous MOT's) no longer under warranty, looks tidy for a 10-year-old car, but no service history :( the service book is blank

So far these are the bad parts I have found with it

- Airbag light is on, already have a Techstream cable on order to figure out where the fault is and fix it myself...

- alloys need a refurb as they are in very bad shape - all look as bad or worse than the one attached. (does anyone know how much it would cost to refurb something like this?) - S/W London

- Humming noise on Motorways, mostly heard over 50mpg - thinking it may be a wheel bearing, hopefully not gearbox related as I can't hear it in the city under 20mph. It sounds like a jeep with mud wheels on a motorway.

- Exhaust pipes are not aligned when you look at the back of the car, they aren't blowing or anything, but look untidy. (may be due to rust, and getting old?) 

- Car has a lot of Clutch judder when pulling off, have read that its a common issue, but since I haven't driven another, don't know if its because it needs a new clutch or if this is as good as it gets... - the clutch is not slipping or anything. (what should I be looking for to see if the dual mass flywheel needs changing?)

The back disks look new, and also the break pads, the front disks are slightly lipped, maybe a millimeter -  will consider replacing these next year

The front grill seems out of place near the top where it meets the hood and headlights (on both sides) - will have to take everything apart and reassemble to make it nice and tidy.

The rest is usual wear and tear for a 10-year-old car, chips on the bonnet, etc... Drove it home - over 170 miles and it is Excellent! I can't wait to get all of these issues sorted! - best part is the insurance is half of what I was paying for the car it replaced! 

Thinking of taking it for a cheap service at Lexus to see what they say about it :)

Will keep lurking the forums for some answers on these common issues :)

edited_IMG_20161202_193332-2.jpg

IMG_20161201_115008.jpg

Welcome Erick :smile:

Considering what is wrong with it, I hope you got it cheap!

You are absolutely right to not get the 220d.  At 2-3k a year, the car would stand no chance of having a clean EGR valve or DPF.

For the alloy wheel refurb, you are probably looking at around £200-250 for the set.  Just make sure wherever you take it to acid dips them before finishing rather than just touch up and re-spray.

Can't really comment on the humming noise other than the obviously i.e. jack the car and check the bearing for play.

Clutch judder is almost always dual mass flywheel related.  It wouldn't cause clutch slip since the clutch itself isn't worn out.  Not quite sure where you heard it is a common issue, but it has been known to happen from time to time.  Mine juddered, so a new flywheel and clutch were fitted.  Having said that, even though my flywheel was worn, it turned out to be my engine mounts that were causing the trouble.  The trouble with diagnosing this issue is, first, there is no way to check the flywheel without taking it out, and second, my engine mounts looked absolutely fine even though they were worn.

In case you missed it browsing on here, if you are taking the wheels off, or doing other checks, it is a good idea to grease the slide pins in the calipers to stop them seizing.

Cheap service at Lexus isn't a bad idea since they will give it a once over and try to diagnose any issues you might have.  Then take it somewhere cheaper to get it fixed. :smile:

Well, it seems like you know your way around a car, so more updates and pictures would be good. :smile:

I think it was a great price, around the £2500 mark,

So far am very very happy with it, the airbag light went off by itself, I have received my tech stream cable so just need to get windows XP 32 bit on a virtual machine to read the codes and sort that out.

Already asked for some quotes for the alloys, and will probably go for a powder coat a few months down the line.

I'ts got Dunlop tyres with good tread, new disks and pads in the rear,

One of the remotes had a dead Battery, which I replaced and is now working...

Are there any DIY's on how to grease the slide pins? what should we use? copper grease? silicone based lubricant?

I've seen some exhausts on eBay for cheap, they are non OEM, do you know of anyone that has tried them? are they rubbish? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS250-2-5-SALOON-2005-2008-REAR-EXHAUST-BOX-NEW-/122236205016?hash=item1c75d877d8:g:qywAAOSwsTxXiM-A

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS250-2-5-05-13-Approved-Petrol-Exhaust-Catalytic-Converter-/182349657895?hash=item2a74e2f727:g:3KwAAOSwIwhWTtvK

These next week-ends, i'm going to use some Gyeon Q2M Iron to remove fallout and dirt, then I am going to claybar it, and in the end some Gyeon Q2 MOHS to protect the paint a bit ideally it could use with a complete polish, but I dont have the time for all of that so this will have to do...

I'll try uploading some pictures, but it's very much original, nothing fancy.

Hi and welcome aboard

Slide Pins....look no further than here.

Noobie has also done some splendid guides on changing the 2 oxygen sensors under the bonnet.

And if you are considering changing the Cabin/Pollen filter behind the glove box ...please read and understand this first. 'Recirc mode' is critical or you could face a large bill to sort out a broken selector

The 'How to' section has some very useful info, but unfortunately some of the photos are missing after the last site update/rebuild. I'm sorry to say original poster's have no way of getting back into their posts to edit/correct them .

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Erick and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars inside and out so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike. Bluesman.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links