Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Long stay parking

Josh_

So I left my CT at the airport long stay parking for 8 days and when I got back the car started normally. My problem was that when I put it on Drive it would not move... After several attempt of switching it off and on again I've heared a loud bang coming from the rear and the car started moving normally. I guess that was the parking brake that got stuck to the drum??? What should I do to avoid this to happen again?

As above the pads will have corroded onto the discs in the damp weather. Next time just put it in park and leave the brake off. Unlikely to be on a steep slope in an airport car park so it won't be straining the transmission. 

Happened to my neighbours Landy, his wife washed it while he was away for a few days, parked it up and the handbrake seized on. :lol:

I went over to help and we couldn't get it to release, AA came out and hit the rear drum with a BFH and the loud popping sound could be heard across the village.

I wouldn't have dared hit it that hard.

Anyway, mine does it when I've washed it. Still makes me jump.

• Like 1

Yes I also came across this issue - mine wouldnt free at all and Had to get it towed to Lexus who removed the rear wheels and free it up 

Turns out it was my fault anyway - I washed the car and shoved it in the garage before going on holiday for 3 weeks in December,

Since then, I dont put the parking brake on when leaving the car whilst I go on holiday or after a wash. 

Now i did some research into it when it happened and it turns out its not an issue just with Lexus. Appears to be problematic on Tesla amongst other brands and its essentially exclusively limited to cars with drum style brakes on the rear.

Well that just explains my incident, sunday morning started car everything normal pulled away large bang from rear. Everything seemed fine and nothing left on floor ,been fine since. Was parked in front of a cliff hotel overnight with very cold damp sea air. Just thought id put the brake on too hard then saw this post.

I used to have this with my Peugeot after I'd washed it. Happens to me with the CT too. Can't do the brakes any good though. Was considering parking on the flatter side of the drive during the cold weather and leaving the park brake off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

Yes I also came across this issue - mine wouldnt free at all and Had to get it towed to Lexus who removed the rear wheels and free it up 

Turns out it was my fault anyway - I washed the car and shoved it in the garage before going on holiday for 3 weeks in December,

Since then, I dont put the parking brake on when leaving the car whilst I go on holiday or after a wash. 

Now i did some research into it when it happened and it turns out its not an issue just with Lexus. Appears to be problematic on Tesla amongst other brands and its essentially exclusively limited to cars with drum style brakes on the rear.

I don't think it's only drum, pads can stick to the disc.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, stormchaser said:

Do these have handbrake shoes on the back as well as pads?

I know some other Lexus have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they do yes. 

That's what sticks, it's not usually the pads that stick it's the parking brake shoes.

Hence, the front wheel are always fine!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tayaste said:

No, the CT doesn't have shoes. Only Pads. The reason the front pads don't stick is because the parking brake only applies the brakes to the rear wheels.

Ah interesting. Does the RX and IS have shoes? The IS doesn't seem to suffer from it no matter what conditions are like but the RX does and the AA guy was talking about shoes when he tried to remove them

Yes, the IS300h has shoes. The RX MY08-15 has shoes also. However, the RX MY15 onwards has an electronic parking brake and only has pads. 

My disco has shoes and electronic park brake and suffers from it sticking a lot, especially if I've left it for a couple of weeks. I have to engage / release the EPB a few times in order for it to release. EPB can be problematic, especially in land rovers.

22 hours ago, tayaste said:

Yes, the IS300h has shoes. The RX MY08-15 has shoes also. However, the RX MY15 onwards has an electronic parking brake and only has pads. 

My disco has shoes and electronic park brake and suffers from it sticking a lot, especially if I've left it for a couple of weeks. I have to engage / release the EPB a few times in order for it to release. EPB can be problematic, especially in land rovers.

Hmm seems to be more vehicle specific then. I usually just leave parking brake off now when going for longer than a week

• 3 weeks later...

Not to 'black cat' anyone but I had the unfortunate situation where I had to leave my car in a multi-storey car park for over three months (Sept-Dec).

I am aware of the Hybrid system being a drain on the Battery so I spoke to my local dealership for advice. Attached are pictures of the fuse box under the bonnet, the fuse, highlighted, is taken out when the car is shipped over to the uk so not to drain the Battery.

I popped my bonnet, locked the doors with the central locking button on my drivers door, then pulling the handle out and shutting the drivers door, this ensures all doors are locked without the alarm being activated. I opened the bonnet, removed the fuse and shut the bonnet.

This fuse removal does dis-arm the alarm!

I forgot about the handbrake needing to be off, but on my return I opened the drivers door with the key, popped the bonnet, replaced the fuse, and drove straight out from my parking space with no problems, the car started first time and there was no large thud or crack from my brakes. The radio and sat Nav memory was unaffected by this process.

I guess I'm lucky, in future I will leave the handbrake off.

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

I'm doing airport parking with API in March

They park the car..do I tell them not engage the footbrake.....looks like most people in the US and many on here never use the foot brake under any circumstances anyway with autos

On 1/10/2017 at 11:59 PM, doog442 said:

I'm doing airport parking with API in March

They park the car..do I tell them not engage the footbrake.....looks like most people in the US and many on here never use the foot brake under any circumstances anyway with autos

No, you cancel it and park the car yourself and keep the keys. 

Chances are that your car will get ragged and they'll forget to not engage the parking brake.