Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

lexus94

Hi all I'm at the point where I'll either be getting an audi a6 black edition or lexus is300h luxury or fsport. 

How long will the lexus last generally if property maintained and what would be the things to look out for at certain mileage?

If I get the lexus it'll be at 30k mileage or so and I plan to drive it into the ground so I'll be doing roughly 70k miles per year and try and keep it for as long as I can

Thanks all :)

All cars if properly serviced serviced last for long time, the point is the costs of maintenance. With your intense use even more, and Lexus hybrids should cost less than Audi, even if oil and filters change are more frequent.

Besides, IS300h has to be compared to A4, the direct competitor of A6 is GS.

3 minutes ago, Zotto said:

All cars if properly serviced serviced last for long time, the point is the costs of maintenance. With your intense use even more, and Lexus hybrids should cost less than Audi, even if oil and filters change are more frequent.

Besides, IS300h has to be compared to A4, the direct competitor of A6 is GS.

Thanks for your help but I was wondering what would be the things I'd need to replace at certain mileages? 

Thanks!

.......   at that annual mileage probably about 2 or 3 years !

and with full Lexus attention too and then probably amortize the value of the car to just about zero at the end of those two years.

The auction lot will be for it's end of life owner to acquire from methinks.

I might be wrong of course

Malc1

Not at all , Malc! Lexus cars have long life, you can see how many owners of old Lexus are here.

About parts to replace, only usual ones, brakes last longer, no belts to worry about and a simple automatic gear system without friction and servo mechanisms.

And , being not a diesel, no DPF, turbines and other components that could break.

16 minutes ago, Zotto said:

Not at all , Malc! Lexus cars have long life, you can see how many owners of old Lexus are here.

About parts to replace, only usual ones, brakes last longer, no belts to worry about and a simple automatic gear system without friction and servo mechanisms.

And , being not a diesel, no DPF, turbines and other components that could break.

Thanks pal my brain is telling me the lexus as lower running costs and with lexus being a top reliability brand.

My heart is saying the Audi a6, seeing as I'm 22 it's obvious why I'd want the audi as it has more badge appeal and I'll get more respect in the workplace.

I'm honestly torn between the 2 o_o

I think that running any car to 200k miles in a very short timespan is a bit of a leap in the dark.

The old Ls400s and 430s are exceptional vehicles with proven durability.....  and up to a million miles.

The Prius too with 500,000 + miles and used as taxis around the world.

Where you see a taxi you will see a car capable of monster miles, but with huge and methodical servicing etc.

You are wanting a street cred car with stellar mileage capability;  that will be very hard to find.....................  and at the end of 200k miles the car really will have negligible value. You will have extracted all its value by using it  ......  ask any car dealer the value of a car, even a Lexus, with that mileage and age  ..............  and study auction values too  ...  that will help you decide on the likely end value,   .........  it's not conjecture, it's a bit of a science !

I wouldn't wish you to be under any illusions with your hard earnt money being spent.

Malc1

2 hours ago, lexus94 said:

Thanks pal my brain is telling me the lexus as lower running costs and with lexus being a top reliability brand.

My heart is saying the Audi a6, seeing as I'm 22 it's obvious why I'd want the audi as it has more badge appeal and I'll get more respect in the workplace.

I'm honestly torn between the 2 o_o

No so sure with that anymore. 

The badge appeal with Audi has somewhat diminished unless you're getting the semi skimmed S or the full fat RS models as they're pretty much everywhere. People in the workplace won't really look twice.

I can honestly say after owning 3 Lexus vehicles, it gets more attention and compliments than other brands in this segment.

What you won't have to worry about on the Lexus are electrics - bug bear of Audi and still play up from time to time on all of their models. Audi dont have the greatest reliability record either. I know which car Id choose especially taking into consideration the mega mileages you're doing. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lexus94 said:

I have little respect for the majority of Audi drivers....most of them don't know how to behave on the roads.  Don't get me started.....

• 2 months later...

It's a frequent question people make about hybrid cars, you can find in forum many answers, usually HV Battery lasts lifetime of car, but it may break like other not critical components of any car. How long a transmission lasts?

• Like 3

On 2/19/2017 at 9:52 PM, lexusis200x2000 said:

What about the hybrid battery , how long does that last.?

If you have the car serviced by Toyota/Lexus the Battery will be under guarantee up to it's tenth birthday irrespective of millage. With each service (10,000 miles) they check the hybrid system, and extend the Battery guarantee for one year or 10,000 miles. This can be done up to it is ten years old.

When I was working "know retired" I drove in this country 55,000 miles each year plus millage in other countries. Services were every 7 or 8 weeks.

John