Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 super unleaded or regular?

It wont do any harm to use it - bit more expensive than regular but with the cleaning additives, cant be bad. I have used it a few times but to be honest not on a regular basis and can say I have felt a difference in the responsiveness of the car, cant vouch for increased mileage though as cant really measure it on the roads I do but certainly not bad.

I used the BG44 additive for a while and have meant to get a can for a while now but not got round to it.

Being a tight scrote I've never used anything but supermarket fuel in my cars since supermarkets started selling fuel and I've never had any problems. Having said that, I'm not a petrolhead that looks for every ounce of performance or every extra bhp, I just use a car as transport. I ran one car from less than 50,000 to more than 180,000 miles on supermarket fuel with no problems whatsoever in the context of fuel (few other things but not fuel).

However, 10 years ago or so, I had a car converted to LPG and I've never looked back. Nissan Maxima QX 3.0 V6 Auto, had 22,000 on when we bought it (if I remember correctly) and had it converted, had more than 120,000 on when part-ex'd and that car would go like greased lightning.

LPG really is the dog's doodahs - better for the environment, better for the engine, better for the wallet and absolutely no loss of performance or power whatsoever. One of the first things we did after buying our RX300 in May was to have it converted to LPG and I'm so glad we did, it's brilliant.

On 05/12/2016 at 2:43 PM, NemesisUK said:

Well you know.. it won't do any damage... (approx £8 extra per tank, no big deal)

I beg to differ sir. Petrol is way too expensive anyway - an extra £8 per tank is both heartbreaking and unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did say I would give regular unleaded a try and have now run 2 tank fulls of esso 95 compared to the shell nitro when I first purchased the car.

I can honestly say I feel no difference whatsoever in performance or mpg. The car runs exactly the same as it did using the posh stuff and with the extra £8 or so I save per tank in fuel means extra beer money at the weekend 😀

I use the Archoil AR6200 at 1ml per 10 litres of fuel. At current prices its around 16p per ml. They do good discount offers from time to time 

It seems to last for ages. From here.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/archoil-ar6200-fuel-modification-complex-high-concentrate.html

They also supply the BG44K  and AR6400 bulk petrol/injection cleaner.

I put a tin of BG44K in to a tank refill (50 litres) every 10,000 mls. Varies from £16 to £20 a tin. Halfords also do some similar products from the likes of Wynn's.

• Like 1

normski2 thanks for the post and i will be looking into the products you use as i want to keep my lovely lexus in tip top condition but how do you think they compare against premium fuels from shell or bp? i know it works out cheaper but would you say it adds the same benefits regarding keeping the system clean or better?

6 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

normski2 thanks for the post and i will be looking into the products you use as i want to keep my lovely lexus in tip top condition but how do you think they compare against premium fuels from shell or bp? i know it works out cheaper but would you say it adds the same benefits regarding keeping the system clean or better?

Ive had a is250 and always used V Power, every single time. Sure it costs more but the upshot is that the car never ever was sluggish, was responsive, passed every MOT and basicaly was trouble free and that was good enough for me.

My current Subaru 3.0R also gets the same treatment and again, trouble free and passed a MOT a few months back with no advisories, and boy does this go, even if my mpg would make a grown man weep..

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/12/2016 at 7:50 AM, Rebecca said:

Thanks for the replys guys. My weekly fuel bill is only £20-£25 per week so filling up with super is probably only going to cost me a couple of extra pounds each week and worth it if it keeps the engine cleaner.

Only 3 days to go before I get my lovely new is250. it's a 2011 model with only 23000 on the clock.

use v power then. Only down side is geting an OCD about finding a Shell garage.

I gave up smoking last year so use v power all the time, and now in my GS250 as well as the cost is nothing compared to cigarettes

after a lot of research Vpower is the best super available IMHO, it has the most sophisticated\effective detergent package in the fuel

On 12/21/2016 at 11:06 PM, toffee_pie said:

Ive had a is250 and always used V Power, every single time. Sure it costs more but the upshot is that the car never ever was sluggish, was responsive, passed every MOT and basicaly was trouble free and that was good enough for me.

My current Subaru 3.0R also gets the same treatment and again, trouble free and passed a MOT a few months back with no advisories, and boy does this go, even if my mpg would make a grown man weep..

I'm switching to V Power if it helps my cars pass their MOT. 

• Like 2

Just did 3000 miles trip.. using 98, 99, 95, 96 octane petrol and semi-ethanol mixes like E10 and E25.... no bloody different in performance and fuel economy. If that makes you feel better I guess you can continue doing so, but benefits of premium fuel is myth... except of what was already covered... like additives slowing down carbon build-up and cleaning system.