Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going on holiday - what if battery is dead upon return

I have a RX400h 2008. And I'm going on holiday in FEB for two weeks. If i return and the Battery is dead (read loads of horror stories) is it a simple case of connecting the booster somewhere and starting up?

This is my first hybrid so I'm kinda panicking about not knowing what to do.

Also if this is all i have to do, is it a simple case of boosting like a traditional Battery? i don't even know where it is LOL. 

Hi I wouldn't worry about the Battery. I've been using mine for years without issue and I have a electric scooter hoist in the back of my RX as well and that takes power when I get the scooter in and out of the car. but I've never had a starting problem. I think the Battery issue is somewhat over done. But anyway , you can jump start a hybrid , you just can't jumpstart someone else's car for them if they have a flat Battery. And the 12 volt Battery is in the engine bay on the right hand side , under the cover as you stand and look at the car. Have a good holiday and don't worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Missus decided to spend an hour chatting to her mother and then her friend, on the Bluetooth, sat in the 400h after work, in the multistorey with the ignition on but not turned to the 'Ready' position !!

We got it started with jump leads from her friends Ford KA about three minutes before lock up..... oh, the ignominy of it !!

:blush:

Dan

My experiences about just weeks ago bought same model are that 12v Battery capacity isn't much to write home about but when engine is eventually started all is fine.

Not much is needed, cigarette lighter jump cable, small portable 12v power source etc.

12v is required to get computers awake, then engine is started from high voltage hybrid drive Battery. Don't get that flat... then there is easy much more to do...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have been away on holiday for two weeks and tend to plug a solar charger panel in and lay on dashboard , never had a problem, around £25 if I remember and plugs straight into the OBll socket.

30 minutes ago, lurch said:

I have been away on holiday for two weeks and tend to plug a solar charger panel in and lay on dashboard , never had a problem, around £25 if I remember and plugs straight into the OBll socket.

I`ve been doing the same for 3,1/2 years, again without problems.

Regards

John

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Just on side note - jump starting hybrids are never the best idea, so I suggest looking to some options mentioned above.

Why? It even shows the procedure in my owner's handbook, using the dedicated jump-start terminal in the under bonnet fuse box.

Because common sense is not that common and not everyone reads owners manual as you do. 

There are risks associated with jump starting any car, but when something goes bang in normal car is usually cheap, in hybrid there is risk that go bank can be expensive. But as you mentioned I would summarise it  - "make sure you consult your owners manual before jump starting".

Connecting a 12v source to the Battery terminals, or charge points, on a hybrid to get the system into a 'ready state' is much much safer than jumping a traditional petrol/diesel car.

The current required to 'start' the hybrid system is much lower than trying to crank an engine so there is little risk in spikes or dips which are common causes of damaging ECUs and blowing fuses etc.

8 hours ago, lurch said:

Would you by any chance have a link to such an item?

and where would the OBII socket be?

carl. 

13 minutes ago, Carl Young said:

Would you by any chance have a link to such an item?

and where would the OBII socket be?

carl. 

This was my purchase Carl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ask your Lexus Dealer re the position of the OBD11 Port.

Regards

John

Mine came from amazon too that's the same one as I have . The OBll socket is located just to the right of the steering wheel underneath bottom of dash about knee height, a plug with about 16 pins in it.

• Like 1