Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I went down to London last month - parked up in a local NCP car park to Grosvenor square, Mayfair.

I had a ticket this week for a congestion charge fine  .... whats that all about ... £65 fine for using the car at a certain time of the day? I got to London at just after 7am.

You could have paid the charge! (£11.50). The fine was for not paying!

Everyone should understand that drivers of cars (at least ones without electric motors) are not welcome in London.

And it will come to other cities in due course, although at the moment the policy in Manchester is to make driving in the city so impossible that enough people give up so that traffic can still move at slightly less than walking pace!

That is the same policy in London.. deliberately destroy roads, reduce lanes by introducing useless bicycle highways, bus lanes and other non-sense, de-regulate traffic light so that as big as possible traffic jams can be achieved, put pedestrian crossing every 10 meters whenever needed or not, and then completely choke everything down with speed bumps and narrow gates. If they ever feel existing traffic jamming measures are not sufficient, there are plenty of contractors or builders who are always keen to close the road during the peak time to erect crane or just park managers Q7 and obviously local councils are collaborating in road jamming by giving permits to left and right.

That has double effect, as result of generally unbearable traffic jams 30% of "non-keen drivers" will give up driving, the rest will pollute due to stupid and poor road infrastructure and therefore government and various stupid group can feel they have moral duty to lobby for increasing punitive measures towards all motorists in entire country in form of VAT, fuel duties and things like congestion charges - whilst congestion was caused by the government at the first place, but motorists are always there to blame for polluting (though private cars only contribute ~2.4%, 0.3% of which are petrol cars and hybrids).

I know roads been screwed by last mayor as I'm a London taxi driver, u can't move any more due to stupid cycle lanes everywhere. 

Shouldn't of payed 11.50 not worth paying fine only hybrid electric cars r exempt only if you register ur car.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

I know roads been screwed by last mayor as I'm a London taxi driver, u can't move any more due to stupid cycle lanes everywhere. 

Shouldn't of payed 11.50 not worth paying fine only hybrid electric cars r exempt only if you register ur car.

Only "plug-in" hybrids, which can drive on EV only mode. But you right it was majority the fault of BoJo the Co*******r, though started in Livingston times.

Hey guys, 

A little while ago I spoke to a local businesses who is well connected with the council and is in the property game for the last 30 years.

He said head of traffic departments in London councils are usually run by people who don't drive and hate cars. Thus instead of spending money on schools, social services and local policing they would rather waste it on road schemes to get rid of parking, narrow roads, enforce 20mph zones, install more humps and traffic lights. Currently most new builds in London are being built without parking. 

A recent development near me of a few 100 flats said that there are only 10 parking spaces and they are for car clubs only because a car club vehicle can serve 30 households...... (I just gave up at that point)

I am forced to use the train to go to work daily and I can assure you its not a viable alternative, esp at rush hour.

• Like 1

I have no connection with councils or anyone who has inside information, but what you said is precisely what I have experienced over 7 years I am living in London and what is rather obvious to any motorist.

Furthermore as you have already mentioned they negatively motivates (or in plain language - forces) people to abandon cars and use public transport. That is what makes me most angry, instead of investing money to improve it to make it viable and good value for money, they instead invests in destroying the roads so that people have no option but use disgusting public transport. Not only it is uncomfortable.. it is crazy expensive. Lucky me, my work is one the border of Congestion Charge and I can park just outside of the zone (and even have relaxing 10 minutes walk to work by the Thames), even considering maintenance, fuel and parking it is still much cheaper for me to drive to work, not to mention it is million times more comfortable. Question is.. when they realise my little secret and botch those roads as well.

They slowly doing it though, just installed new unnecessary speed bumps on one of the roads... there was nothing wrong with it before that. Not these apparently safety features reduced average speed on that road from ~30, to ~20MPH (posted limits are 30-40MPH), furthermore when driving in the evenings I am now continuously dazzled by upcoming and following traffic .... not sure what is safe about that... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johnatg said:

You could have paid the charge! (£11.50). The fine was for not paying!

Everyone should understand that drivers of cars (at least ones without electric motors) are not welcome in London.

And it will come to other cities in due course, although at the moment the policy in Manchester is to make driving in the city so impossible that enough people give up so that traffic can still move at slightly less than walking pace!

I should have done my homework first - the only notification I had was the penalty letter a month later after I had been (thought I had strayed into a prohibited lane or something - Lesson learnt.

You could still send them apologetic letter if that was your first time and explain you have made mistake and ask them to allow you to pay fee instead. As it is clearly signed etc.. you are unlikely to get away... but I have managed to do, so worth trying £3 for letter is better than £65 for a fine.

My case was slightly different, I have made wrong turn and the turned around "safety island" which was on the border with CC zone, furthermore I have called them asking if I should pay fee or not, but they told me such information is not available ... The lady on the phone was like: "What you mean check if you have to pay?! we don't know if you have to pay... if you entered the zone you should pay, if not then not... bugger off we have tea break now and why do you think we should give such information about fees we are enforcing .. does tfl sounds like charity for you... Don't worry Sally .. I am coming for the cakes now.. just handling one poor ***** on the phone.. bye do not call us again".

So when I received PCN it stated that I was in the zone for 15 seconds. I send the letter to tfl stating that I have no intent traveling into the zone and draw a map to show my route and highlighted that I have been in the zone for only 15 seconds... and they dropped th charge.

Just to add to the topic... how people are "anti cars".

Today I went to pick up package from Royal mail depot, because lazy postman left the card saying "package is too big for letter box" event though we were at home and he didn't bother to ring the bell... So anyway, I drive there, package was in my girlfriend name so she wen't inside while I turned around. The post was virtually empty so she came outside before I can park in the parking, so I just drove and picked her up in front of post office... There are double yellow lines, but post vehicles and maybe another 5 cars were parked there anyway so it is not really enforced... While she was getting in the car Post employee came close to the doors and mumble  - "parking RATS...". Before I realised what he said and managed to get after him.. he went to staff area and disappeared... 

We don't realise how many people hates us... just for having cars and driving... Government politics really works when it comes to dividing society. 

I totally understand,

I used to work in central London, when I told my colleagues that I was going to buy a car they all looked at me as if there was something wrong with me and said "why do you want to do that? what a waste of money!!" 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links