Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slightly nervous Lexus virgin with a few Q's

Hello everyone!

New (used) IS300H owner, long time lurker, thanks for making the site an amazing resource and ultimately helping to sway my decision. I will be swapping my V40 (2014) for the IS next week, obviously very pleased.

However, I have just a few questions which have been playing on my mind a little since sealing the deal, any advice/wisdom greatly appreciated!

1. Unfortunately the previous and only owner was a business user, which I understand has higher service mileage intervals, this one had it's first service "on time" but at 14.5k miles, followed by 27k and then the Lexus dealership I'm buying the car from did a full (40k) at 37k. As this car is being sold through Lexus with Lexus stamps in the book and a Lexus approved warranty, I've been reassured by various people this will be valid and I've nothing to worry about. Is there any document I should absolutely make sure I have to back me up in the unlikely case something went wrong and they retrospectively tried to get out of warranty repair due to late servicing? The car has lots of paperwork including latest hybrid health check.

2. The car has had the modified rear damper fitted in 2015 related to the drivetrain problems mentioned a few times on here, should I be relieved this has already been carried out or concerned that this had to be done and further problems could arise? Didn't notice any adverse vibration on the test drive around 50-65mph. There's also a large white toyota sticker on the fuse box with something along the lines of "approved modification" on it with a long reference number and the dealer number and date on it. Does this relate to this or perhaps another TSB?

3. Should I continue to service the car through Lexus and what's the best service plan discount you've achieved? Indy JEM Lexus in North London seem very appealing from a reputation and cost perspective but obviously I then lose the "prestige" of the official system records and hybrid health check certificate. It's a shame Lexus don't include European breakdown with servicing like Volvo, makes the cost that bit more staggering.

4. If staying with Lexus for servicing is the best way forward, would it also be wise to take out the extended warranty at £895 for 2 years including European breakdown? Seems like a good deal but I am buying the 2nd most reliable car in the UK so internally conflicted!

5. Common issue I understand, the black leather is wearing at the front edge of the side bolsters on the front seats due to getting in/out wear, how best to cover this up, a dye kit or professional repair?

Already got the infotainment software update on a usb stick ready to go thanks to the fantastic detailed instructions on here, otherwise that would have been my number 6 ;)

Thanks so much for making this site what it is and hopefully I can reciprocate in a useful way in the near future.

Andy

Welcome Andy :smile:

Since I don't own that particular car, I am afraid I can't comment on the specifics, but I can reassure you on the warranty front.

The Lexus Extended Warranty doesn't actually require any previous service records.  If the car wasn't being sold by a Lexus dealer, then the only requirement is that the car pass a visual safety check before the warranty becomes active.  Since you are getting yours from the dealer, this doesn't apply.

However, you must get it serviced by a main dealer during the warranty period to keep it active.  You have a leeway of one month or 2000 miles from the specified service date/mileage to get the service done.

I have personally used the Jemca Edgware Road main dealer before, and have always found them excellent.  I had some issues with my car and they handled it brilliantly.

I understand where you are coming from regarding reliability, but it doesn't take much for you to recoup the cost in repairs.  I have got my monies worth a few times over since taking mine out.  Also, when you consider the fact that roughly £300 worth of AA cover is included, it is very good value for money. 

As for the leather, perhaps when you get it you can post a picture?  I would depend on how badly it has worn.

• Like 2

Re point 4, when I purchased my 6 month old IS300H I was also offered the 2 year deal.  Initially I declined but when I got home and looked under the bonnet I felt the deal had to be a buy, especially as it would be tacked on to the manufacturers 3 year warranty.  Presume you are getting I year from the dealer so perhaps the extended will mean 3 years warranty in total ?  I travel to France often and the thought of breaking down in the French countryside was a powerful influence.  

Good luck.  Only problem I have one year on is colour wear on the black leather seats and the odd squeak.  Otherwise no problems.  

• Like 2

Point 1.

Yep its amazing how Lexus can pin a 'Lexus approved service history 'on a car that hasn't actually been serviced according to Lexus guidelines.(you need to read the small print - they can put lipstick on a pig)

Make of that what you want, They appear to 'wing' it because the cars are so damned reliable but you would struggle to find another premium brand dealer that pulls such stunts. 

Whilst you're at it take a good look at the pads and discs, any lipping on the disc ask them to change pads and discs, if they refuse walk away as they will be flagging it up at the next service . Make a point to personally inspect the service print outs and see that everything has been done. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :smile:

Shahpor - great point about the approved and extended warranty requiring dealer servicing, having looked into gold member discounts the 20% off service plans at Lexus Woodford makes the most sense right now even if I do have to travel across London. As for JEM, I think they've named themselves to confuse folks as it's not Jemca but an independent garage nearby run by Suzuki I think, near Sainsburys.

I think you're spot on in regards to the extended warranty, it really is a good deal, online competitor quotes couldn't match it. 

BigChange - thanks for also talking sense and confirming my initial opinion about the extended warranty. As for the leather I assume your seats are going the same way, all cars I viewed seemed to have this problem so I'll certainly look into the best solution, dealer recommended shoe Polish as a temporary fix with lots of buffing. I've got my nextzett gummi pflege stick at the ready for treating all the door seals as they did look a bit dry and a cause of many Lexus owner's squeaking problems.

doog442 - brake discs looked clean and certainly performed well during my spirited test drive so should be OK, to be fair to the dealer they were very transparent regarding the servicing and I did indeed get to personally look at the online Lexus system when I was there to verify what work had been done, including the TSBs. Whilst there will always be an inevitable element of completing sale bias, the sales exec did everything he could to reassure, even allowing me to use his phone to call customer service whilst he went away for a few minutes. Can't fault the patience and honesty he displayed. 

Finally, thanks Steve2006 for the welcome, I'll certainly look into Gold membership at some stage as all being well I think I'm going to be sticking around for some time to come, and those servicing discounts may help too:wink:

• Like 1

You're welcome,

Regarding the seat bolster wear I have used the company on the link before both for my car and leather sofa.

They do list a black dye specifically for Lexus but will colour match from a sample also if you can obtain one from perhaps spare material under the seat. It does work and lasts years once done.

http://www.dynamixdyes.com/lexus-car-leather-dye-mini-30ml-1670-p.asp

• Like 2

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  Yeah, I know JEM and Jemca are different, but I assumed since you mentioned JEM you would be local, so Jemca Edgware Road would be a good dealer to get your car serviced at.

Although, you are right, since you get 20% off at Woodford, that would be a good deal.  Shame Edgware Road don't do the same deal.

• Like 2

Thanks for the leather dye link I'll have to give that a try!

I'll give Jemca a call and see what they can offer, Twickenham would be the closest but they don't even appear on the gold membership discount list if I was to join, I'll just call everyone and see who needs the business most. 

The servicing bit is typical.  Normal users interval is 10k miles.  Business users is 12k. Depending on when it alerts and what availability the dealer has it is possible to do a couple of thousand more between booking and attending. Either way as another poster has said, the car is so reliable its nothing to be concerned about.  

As mentioned post a pic of the wear on the leather. Some members have blagged a warranty issue if it is particularly bad.

happy driving!

2 - All IS300h have this issue to some extend or another, for most it is very minor and many drivers don't notice it. You shouldn't be concerned that you have had the mod done.

Can you provide the long reference number of the fusebox?

I'll certainly post pics when able, pick the car up next week. It's basically that the black has worn off leaving a white line up the front seam on the side bolster, door side. Going the same way on passenger side too. I have asked if it can be dealt with prior to collection but I'll still order the dye kit from dynamix as recommended for touch ups.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying the IS so far, here is a pic of the worn leather which was touched up by the dealer prior to collection but you can still make it out:

DSC_0005.JPG

Still waiting for the leather dye from dynamix dyes to arrive but will post an update once that has been done.

The windscreen has seen better days, tons of wiper smear scratches, and isn't even an official Lexus one so a poor replacement. Will have to look at getting this replaced in due course, anyone with an idea of prices with reputable glass repairers?

Another thing that is a bit of an eyesore is that the coating on the infotainment screen is pretty badly scratched, had a few rough cloths over it no doubt in it's 3 years. I doubt there is a solution for this but any ideas? I realise it's another one of those common issues with these cars.

Am I right in thinking the straps in the boot are for the warning triangle and first aid kit?

Have just used some Autoglym Interior Shampoo on some dirt marks on the white headliner, just waiting for the patches to dry to make sure I haven't messed it up before tackling a few more. Also got some hammerite and touch up paint ready for a couple of particularly bad rusty scratches on the edge of the boot door and some other chips.

Unfortunately the Toyota modification sticker that was on the fuse box was taken off prior to collection, but the service printout states the following:

Code "INV"

Description - Fit new mass damper to rear ax

Parts:

41196-53010 Damper, Differe

89685-20010 ECU name label

Also noticed it's 40k service a couple of months ago has the following parts which I'm not sure about:

08885-80616 Gear/Differentia

17801-31170 element sub-assy

I guess that must be the oil then, bit of a relief, thanks for checking for me.

Just realised the armrest catch is creaking like mad when my arm is resting, and rattles when not, think I remember seeing a fix on here with adhesive felt which I'll have to find as it's driving me nuts.

12 hours ago, IS300Hdriver said:

Enjoying the IS so far, here is a pic of the worn leather which was touched up by the dealer prior to collection but you can still make it out:

DSC_0005.JPG

Still waiting for the leather dye from dynamix dyes to arrive but will post an update once that has been done.

The windscreen has seen better days, tons of wiper smear scratches, and isn't even an official Lexus one so a poor replacement. Will have to look at getting this replaced in due course, anyone with an idea of prices with reputable glass repairers?

Another thing that is a bit of an eyesore is that the coating on the infotainment screen is pretty badly scratched, had a few rough cloths over it no doubt in it's 3 years. I doubt there is a solution for this but any ideas? I realise it's another one of those common issues with these cars.

Am I right in thinking the straps in the boot are for the warning triangle and first aid kit?

Have just used some Autoglym Interior Shampoo on some dirt marks on the white headliner, just waiting for the patches to dry to make sure I haven't messed it up before tackling a few more. Also got some hammerite and touch up paint ready for a couple of particularly bad rusty scratches on the edge of the boot door and some other chips.

Unfortunately the Toyota modification sticker that was on the fuse box was taken off prior to collection, but the service printout states the following:

Code "INV"

Description - Fit new mass damper to rear ax

Parts:

41196-53010 Damper, Differe

89685-20010 ECU name label

Also noticed it's 40k service a couple of months ago has the following parts which I'm not sure about:

08885-80616 Gear/Differentia

17801-31170 element sub-assy

Hmm the leather seems to wear particularly easy on Premier and Luxury models. 

I personally wouldn't recommend dye kits and go for a pro repair. They tend to go the same way after a while however, it's probably worth trying just to make sure. I believe Gliptone makes a well recommended leather repair kit.

It's unlikely you can make a warranty claim on the leather as the car has covered 40k+ miles and therefore some wear will be expected. I'm surprised it's on the passenger seat though!

The coating on the screen wears if using chemicals. Some owners have removed the coating using IPA. It's just an anti glare coating and won't make much difference if any to viewing but it'll look much better

I've used Autoglass in the past and they're fairly good. Ensure the windscreen is pilkington glass.

If cleaning the headliner, best bet is to do the whole thing using a steam cleaner and shampoo. Don't go overboard or it'll sag. If you do bits there's a high chance there will be patches

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links