Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Put title and just "key" in search  zero threads came up?  Something wrong here I suspect.

Does anyone know how the Fob opens beyond the initial cover being taken off.  I fear the contact points are corroded or not making good contact but I can't see immediately how the inner part is removed to expose the circuit board and be able to take off the side button to clean? 3.4V on cell Battery so not that.

Is it just  a pry off job at back of fob where ring is joined?

Had loads of images on Merc site for this sort of thing.

Thanks

17 hours ago, MLW said:

Do you just want to replace the battery?

No, I've replaced the Battery.  Just seems to be playing up when it comes to unlocking with either of the two key fobs.

It may be that the little button presses against a sort of "bellows" which contains the contact points so may be its best left alone.  What I am trying to determine is if the button can be removed to clean the debris off, and the circuit board is under a protective cover, which may be glued in place?  

I worried about a break in one of my keys plastic and obtained a s/hand key,  but to remove and switch blades requires entry behind the plastic.  Maybe its just not possible in which case I wasted my money buying a s/h key?

Its no matter and I will try the internal lock/iunlock sequence and see if it improves. I tend to point to the Drivers side rear door lower panel though I've read it is in the boot on the Pass side (or was this on American models??) 

ps Could there be a screw under the lexus logo ??

It didn't like yesterdays murky weather. Todays sunshine it decided to work perfectly again. Could have something to do with the time delay or possibly as I fiddled with the Telescopic Steering wheel button.  Normally have this switched off as read of problems fixing.

92 is likely to be same as 94 with a side button only, i imagine.

From what I remember you cannot strip this type down any further, the aerial wire is soldered directly to the key blade which in turn is mounded to the casing.

A word of warning....do not let the push button flick out of the housing as it is spring loaded and will take off like a rocket...it took me 3 days searching on my driveway to find mine!

The pick up for the fob is around the back window area and range of operation is affected by ice and water in this area so this may be your problem.

I think you must be right. Which explains why you don't see many /any of those keys for sale.

If you can't transfer the blade then a s/h one is next to useless.  If I get desperate because of a total key plastic breakdown then I may experiment with opening that one up.  Not likely soon as only today did I strip down for a second time a Tomtom Go300 which I put in a new Battery only to find no image on the screen.  Reclipping a one inch wide by a hairs width ribbon cable when joined to two linked parts was really fun - but successful. Why did I bother? - I just won't give up when things don't go right.   

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart - I had similar dilemma with my Mk1 GS which used the same 1-button key and sourced some replacement cases with blank blades.

I was lead to believe by a company that reproduces programmable car keys like the Lexus ones (based near Heathrow - used to reprogramme and re-cut blanks for £20-25) that the electronics and transponder is self contained though as Steve mentioned there is an electrical connection to the blade.

I never did get my key rebuilt as I robbed the bits I needed from a scond hand key I got hold of and then passed the car on, but I do have a couple of blank cases knocking around in my Lexus spares box (single button but not identical OEM) if you are interested in getting yours rebuilt. You could split with Steve as I know he was looking for a single button key case a while back.

Thanks Keith. Good of you to offer.  I've got a second key which has a brass screw from an electrical light socket holding it shut as the original screw disappeared.  I've also got a master key which doesn't have the button. My regular key only has a small crack at the screw point so not a problem but thought I'd change cases if like MB keys they just fall apart.  So, I'm OK thanks.