Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whilst getting an MOT today for my 99 LS a chap came in and booked an MOT for his M reg LS prior to selling it next year. I naturally asked him about it, and as he stayed next door to the MOT station I went for a look. It used to belong to a garage owner and has lain unused for years. It is fitted with hideous aftermarket alloys and has 4 tail pipes and little in the  way of silencing (very American V8 rumble) - nice, but out of character.

Good points are that it's only done 36k and is in really good condition - no stone chips and super straight body and nice interior. It's dark blue with dark blue interior. If it was a MK 4, I'd buy it immediately, but it's not, although once I see it on the ramps I may change my mind. Asking price is £3k - should I?

My problem is I've too many cars and have another modified Morris lined up to buy.

Pete

• Like 1

Depends I suppose on your daily usage, average mileage and if you have a heated Aircraft hanger. 

The more cars you own, the likelyhood is that they will suffer the consequences of patchy usage.  If not garaged then brake parts start to deteriorate, etc.  If used by rotation regularly and on long trips then should be OK.  How do you decide which one to use?  Conundrum!   

• Like 1

Ooofff 36k used to belong to a nice old lady...

236k more like...

too good to be true? I respect the earlier cars but spoilt by owning a mk4.

No, if it's for sale it's not right. Better to be on a waiting list from someone that is not ready to sell?

It's a genuine mileage with full lexus history (was owned by local deceased garage owners wife). I don't know when the wheels or exhaust were tampered with though, but are easily sorted. I do feel it would be going backwards though as my current Lexus is nice too - but is on 163k and could do with a couple of things sorted.

Pete

I couldn't imagine that the tasteful modifications were done whilst it was still owned by the garage owner's wife so has the present owner done them and why?

What else has been done that you can't see, perhaps a welded diff for drifting?

Had it been totally original perhaps worth considering but £3K plus the cost of a secondhand OEM exhaust system with a still good non blowing Y pipe and a set of refurbished OEM alloys the cost mounts up along with all the servicing requirements of a vehicle stood for years probably exposed to the elements.

• Like 1

'What you need is for lots of people to say don't do it, so....don't do it!! '

Yes, just like 'Don't smoke, don't drink or don't go out with loose women'..........and how many of us took any notice of that :)

I think Pete is going to buy it regardless and was hoping we would advise him to go ahead. Sorry, Pete, you're on your own on this one - why not ask your partner for his/her opinion of getting yet ANOTHER vehicle :winkiss:

I know what mine would say.............. 

You buy it Pete - and don't be coy about telling us of your regrets after -- ha ha ha! 

Its past is giving very mixed messages. How much are the "issues" with your present motor truly going to cost you?  Think again.  Better the devil etc......but then if money is no issue and you want to prove us old farts (speaking personally ) wrong, then good luck.

PS What is the MOT history of work needed/done seen on DVLA?

PPS My 93 has cost me a packet (three times what I paid for it) and I'm still not completely happy.  Read Lexus the Relentless Pursuit and then ask yourself with all that Market research of the American market why did they make seats to only fit Japanese or American Women's Bums?.  The Static on my Bonse is really irritating my combover and I can't find the seatbelt clip when I've got an overcoat on.   Not everyone is totally in love with the design - but the engine is to die for!

It's not the money putting me off, but I don't know if it would be any better realistically than the one I've got - which I only did 2,000 miles in this year. As i said previously, if it was a mk4 I'd have bought it on condition alone, but there again I've got my eye on a nicely modded Morris Oxford MO to compliment my modded Minor fleet and I've only got 1 backside. I didn't even use my bikes this year, but did 5,000 miles in my chevy engined Morris minor - choices.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided not to bother with buying the LS. It's just been MOT'd and only needed a bulb, and mot tester said the car was in excellent order and was for sale for £3k to include the private plate LSK 480. In my opinion, if wheels and exhaust were changed it would be one of the nicest around.

Pete

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the one In Dundee? If so I'm up there to have a look at it and maybe fork out the money if it's decent. I've been in touch with the owner and he assures me it is immaculate. 

It's in Broughty Ferry beside Dundee. Downside is the loud exhaust and naff wheels, but it is in really good order throughout as you would expect for the mileage. The current owner wheels and deals in cars and didn't pay a huge amount for it, but I'd do an hpi on it to keep yourself right. PM me if you need any help as I stay in Broughty Ferry.

Pete

I'm up in Dundee on the weekend, my wife's from Dundee so not too far to go to see it whilst I'm their. like yourself I'm not so sure if I should go for it as I know it will need some money spent on it, no record of timing belt being done, hideous alloys and the aftermarket exhaust will all need to be sorted before I think about putting it into everyday use. 

yeh  ...........  unless you're like Mr Dubereaux ? on here ( from Sittingbourne ) who already has 3  .......... and does Steve 2006 have 3 ?

Come on guys, if there's going to be rationing it should really be to 3 alone  :yahoo:

Malc