Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just had a service

My car is 3 years old on the 23rd of this month and it has just had its first MOT, no problems there.

It also had its third service and it still has less than 11000 miles on the clock.  No real problems there either, although they haven't issued me with the usual Hybrid Healthcheck Certificate this time, I suppose that I will have to chase them up for that.

Now comes the really niggly bit.  The dealer very kindly offered to collect my car from my home and to deliver it back when the work was finished. This all went seemingly quite smoothly however, when I went to put the bins out tonight and all my outside lights kicked in,  I noticed that the passenger wheel has been damaged and, to cap it all, so has the one on the drivers side!!!  I have taken some photographs of the damage.

You can imagine that I am not at all happy about this but how can I prove it was they who did it?  Also, why would they find it necessary to disconnect my dashcam, they obviously forgot to  reconnect it before they returned my car.

I would expect them to believe you, take the car back and have the wheels sorted. At trade rates won't cost them very much at all.

Dash cams are routinely disconnected by mechanics, it's by no means just a Lexus thing. They don't like being filmed 100% of the time any more than I suppose any of us would whilst at work. I also saw a clip suggesting that there is a lot of bad language flying around, again not aimed at Lexus, just in general.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i always write down the milage driven before it goes in for service. One time ( not a Lexus) the dealer drove 60 miles when the car was in for a one day service. Your story makes me wonder what and where they have been with your car as wheels usually don't  get damaged in the workshop?

Probably no help, but have you checked your dashcam? They may not have disconnected it initially, it may have something.

I hardwired my cam in and have cabletied the powerlead inplace. Hope we dont have the same dealer as im devon too.

goodluck, they should be fair.

I have had a look at my dashcam and it has recorded and saved an 'event' that occurred on the journey from my home to the dealer.  If any of you are able to run it, have a look and see if you think that the driver got particularly close to the kirb on a couple of occasions.

Many thanks.

P.S. Not too sure if the video has uploaded OK

20161221_094252.MP4

What is the best way to upload a short clip of video into my post please?

• Like 1

Runs ok on my pc.  I didn't consider anything too close to the kerb.  Like John, I was also watching for a jolt of direction.....didn't witness any.

I'd be so angry if this happened to me, hope you get it resolved.

Thing is Geoff, regardless of whats on the video (I can't see anything conclusive) its your word against theirs, and quite simply why would you lie. I'm sure its just a case of informing the service manager (asap) and him accepting liability.

stand your ground Geoff and dont let lexus push you around

my car went in and had the dashboard removed on return i had a mettallic rattle and a scratch on the A piller paintwork

they acused me of scratching the car and that the ratlle pre existed ,i had to stand my ground and confront them

my lexus dealer is as tight as a duck #@#@, i wouldnt ask someone to repair something i had damaged

its fixed now but took some time to sort out

Did not anything untoward on the vid either. In fact, the car appeared to be driven smoothly and reasonably.

Odd that the car should be kerbed on both sides though.

16 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

i always write down the milage driven before it goes in for service.

Rather than write the mileage down, I would recommend you take a picture of the dial. You then have a dated and timed photo that you can use as hard evidence rather than a your word vs their word. I always take a pic of the mileage when using valet parking at airports, as I have had problems in the past.

I am sorry but have had a look 3 times but cant see anything that would suggest hes hit a kerb and I would have thought you would see some movement from the car Iand I cant see any.

Its a real drag when this sort of thing happens. I think in future and this is for all of us, you note down the condition of your car and also take pictures of any damage already on the car and also pictures of all panels and wheels so you have a case.

Another little problem that someone may be able to help with please.  In the centre of the dashboard where I normally see what mpg I am doing, I now have a sign that says 'audio off'  and some wording underneath that says something like 'push for source' but, whatever button I press I can't get rid of it.  I'm sure that someone knows any easy answer.

Why do they have to mess with things all the time.  Someone once mentioned that they had to re-tune their radio stations after the car had been in for some work, the mechanic or whatever obviously didn't like the owners choice!

• Like 1

If the 12 volt Battery had to be disconnected for any reason during work being carried out the programmed radio stations would have been lost. It is easy for the mechanics to reset things like the windows, and sun roof, but once lost they have no idea what you have stored in the radio.

John

Could the wheels have got damaged when they were taken off and laid on their side, wheel against the concrete garage floor? Sounds plausible. Especially if both sides have been damaged.

Very sorry to hear that the people who you entrust with your pride and joy have not looked after it. Hope you can get them to fix it.

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Could the wheels have got damaged when they were taken off and laid on their side, wheel against the concrete garage floor? Sounds plausible. Especially if both sides have been damaged.

Very sorry to hear that the people who you entrust with your pride and joy have not looked after it. Hope you can get them to fix it.

Unlikely. They don't put them on the floor anymore and should be putting them on a special horizontal pole next to the lift. They have 4, one for each wheel.

2 hours ago, Bluesman said:

I think in future and this is for all of us, you note down the condition of your car and also take pictures of any damage already on the car and also pictures of all panels and wheels so you have a case.

The service manager at my last service did a pre service walk round with me, negating the need for me to take precautinary measures myself. Admittedly, I wouldn't have bothered doing anything, but surely this makes sense every time we hand over our 'pride and joy'

Just tell them it wasn't like that when it went in. You don't have to prove it. You don't have to explain why it wasn't your fault. They will fix it it won't cost them much.

if you don't get any joy contact Lexus uk and log a complaint against the dealer

Had a similar thing happen on my partners Clio.  Came to collect from a service and there was a chip in the paint on the passengers door.

Since they couldn't prove that it wasn't there before, and the car was spotless (2 years old), they agreed to repair it.

Normally, when they take the car, they do a visual inspection and mark on a sheet any issues, including wheels.  Do they not have something similar?  If so, unless they specifically marked the wheels as damaged beforehand, you can claim it was done in their possession regardless.

Further to my original post concerning my service.  Every time that I start the car now I get a message come up telling me to contact the dealer regarding maintenance.  Is there something that they have forgotten to reset so that it doesn't appear again until this time next year?

using the dash screen there is a menu in settings ,vehicle,maintenance

you can change the next due date in there ,i am not 100% if this

is just a reminder screen or if its connected to the service reset.