Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To post, or not to post?

Hi say Chaps - the old UK ISF forum is certainly a sleepy place these days, a bit like an old gentlemen’s' club, or provincial library.  Compared to 2-3 years ago when Peter and Stuno were in full flow, it feels like a retirement home now, what with the odd chum from the other Lexus model threads dropping in, or one of us posting about something maintenance or cosmetic related, I seem to check the forum daily but often seem little action these days and spend more time on the US forum.

I'll count myself guilty as charged on that one also - maybe in 2017 we can all make an effort to light the place up a bit? :)

• Like 1

Adding to my first post, I guess as there are only 200 cars in the UK the level of input is dependant on a relatively few number of members than other cars.  Equally, if you look at the ZT 260 community (about 800 cars) things are quite active there for what is also a V8 limited model car, and with MX5's you have the sleepy MX5OC forum for the 'what have you done in your MX5 today' posts, or the more exciting MX5Nutz site where people more interested in performance, modding etc, hang-out.  Maybe for the ISF more members will gravitate to the US forum if there isn't a critical mass here, but hopefully we can figure ways to raise the noise levels next year.

@Grey One Hopefully the advances in performance mods happening in the US (supercharger etc) will bring some more chat. I also blame Lexus for building a car that doesn't go wrong all that often (touch wood) ;-). It would make much more sense to have a general 'F' forum (ISF, GSF, RCF) which would boost the numbers. The forum was invaluable when I purchased my ISF in February so would be good to keep it going strong in 2017. 

• Like 2

@Grey One my guess with the ZT260 community, and I say this as an ex MGB owner, is that there may be slightly more opportunities for fix / repair than with our vehicles. After all, that is one of the prime reasons for getting an ISF: power and reliability.

Which bring us neatly to your observation. Most of us post about maintenance (to avoid Lexus fees), cosmetic tweaks (myself included), and interest in the development of tuning mods. Can't really help the lack of input with such a small population who could contribute.

6 minutes ago, Bluethunder said:

The Lexus RC 200/300/RCF forum is even more quieter which is a surprise since the number of owners should be far more than the ISF..

Even more quiet ..

That's because we are all very happy with our purchases :wink3:

• Like 1

And the RCs are all still within warranty and seem as reliable as the ISF. Though one chap did have trouble with a door seal and became very militant. That was quite an amusing thread.

This is always an issues with smaller forums. As mentioned above there are 200 ish owners and the average age of the owners won't be young. Of the owners how many are car enthusiasts? Mine was my p&j but for many it's a daily. Again, of the owners how many want to modify their car? It's not like the m3 lot. It's a different demographic for the most part. It takes a few taking it by the scruff of the neck. It was the same when I had my Mazda 3 MPS aero. It's a numbers game and the isf doesn't have the numbers. I'll continue wih blue water meets every now and then so not forgotten about those. In the mean time. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

On 22/12/2016 at 10:35 AM, Grey One said:

Hi say Chaps - the old UK ISF forum is certainly a sleepy place these days, a bit like an old gentlemen’s' club, or provincial library. 

A bit like your average Lexus dealership then :wink3:

On 22/12/2016 at 10:35 AM, Grey One said:

Hi say Chaps - the old UK ISF forum is certainly a sleepy place these days, a bit like an old gentlemen’s' club, or provincial library.  Compared to 2-3 years ago when Peter and Stuno were in full flow, it feels like a retirement home now, what with the odd chum from the other Lexus model threads dropping in, or one of us posting about something maintenance or cosmetic related, I seem to check the forum daily but often seem little action these days and spend more time on the US forum.

I'll count myself guilty as charged on that one also - maybe in 2017 we can all make an effort to light the place up a bit? :)

Seem to recall you posted something about non owners, or morons, trolling your forum, maybe that didn't help?

To jog your memory, I quote

"Hi Peter - absolutely!  You are an enthusiast who loves modifying his car.  What has really p*ssed me off about this thread is that non-ISF owners have started trolling the rest of us on what is a 'domestic' discussion.  I think there's something inherently sad about people making such comments in others model/marque forums.  Let's not get brow-beaten by these morons!  I know in the UK we have an open Lexus forum and I welcome that, I just don't stick my nose into other people's threads not relevant to me and wish others would do the same. "

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

This is always an issues with smaller forums. As mentioned above there are 200 ish owners and the average age of the owners won't be young. Of the owners how many are car enthusiasts? Mine was my p&j but for many it's a daily. Again, of the owners how many want to modify their car? It's not like the m3 lot. It's a different demographic for the most part. It take a few taking it by the scruff of the beck. It was the same when I had my Mazda 3 MPS aero. It's a numbers game and the isf doesn't have the numbers. I'll continue wih blue water meets every now and then so not forgotten about those. In the mean time. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

Hi Stuno - I think you've banged the nail on the head, I'm guessing the main demographic for UK ISF owners is older and more conservative than the US.  That coupled, with the low numbers, and you get owners less inclined to mod, and with what is otherwise a very reliable car, you don't get much forum action.  I think when got I my first ISF we had owners like you and Peter on here who were more into modding etc.and that made a real difference.

As a aside, on my old ISF I had a rear carbon diffuser added, Takeda air intake, H&S cat back, a US aftermarket steering wheel and US Lexus sport selector.  With my second 2012 ISF I recently fitted a Toms rear diffuser, added the RR hcsc front suspension mod, have an aftermarket US steering wheel, sports gear selector and H&S cat back (already on the car).  I've kept the intake stock as the run-out cars had an updated intake body, but I did fit a Toms panel filter to this that has made a difference to noise and performance.

It was thanks to the likes of you and Peter that owning an ISF was such more fun and inspired me to make changes to mine.  BTW, no implied criticism of current owners, just noting the change in the last few years.  As many have said, in many ways the odds are against this being a busy forum.

Cheers

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, emjay82 said:

It would make much more sense to have a general 'F' forum (ISF, GSF, RCF) which would boost the numbers. The forum was invaluable when I purchased my ISF in February so would be good to keep it going strong in 2017. 

Great idea!

Have to say combining the 'f' models in to one forum would be a good start. If just to encourage more activity. I found myself on the yank forum a lot but that's ok. It would just be nice to have a more active 'f' forum here. I know many are sceptical about meets but it makes a big difference to the ownership experience for enthusiasts. Speaking with like minded folk and putting faces to forum names etc

People seem to find them awkward and may be unwilling to attend but they are always pleased once they do. It takes activity and willingness to participate to get things going and keep them going. It will ebb and flow but this place is good and has friendly people so it's all good. 

• Like 2

Does anyone own this particular ISF which was used a few years ago by Lexus for their Open Road Day promotions?

I waited nearly all day to have a test drive in this car which along with the LS600h was only permitted with a qualified race driver sat with you.

The professional driver first took control and drove it like a race car along the local public roads then it was my turn at a much reduced pace.

How many times it was driven by potential customers I don't know but it certainly had a hard early life during the tour.

IMG_0182.JPG

i love the US forum, the things they talk about, i clicked on one heding the other day ..." were do you carry yours " turned out they were discussing were they carried there guns, with some interesting photos of mods they have made to accommodate there hand guns.

so here we go , ill start a new discussion, " were do you carry yours? "

Umbrella of course  

1 hour ago, wendle said:

i love the US forum, the things they talk about, i clicked on one heding the other day ..." were do you carry yours " turned out they were discussing were they carried there guns, with some interesting photos of mods they have made to accommodate there hand guns.

so here we go , ill start a new discussion, " were do you carry yours? "

Umbrella of course  

Surely the boot is the only place? Great topic though 😂

1 hour ago, talaipwros said:

@steve2006

qualified race driver for the LS600h? why would that be so? Nice car but race car?

TBH I don't know, all the other Lexus models you could drive, CT200h, IS250 and GS300 were free to take out solo but the ISF and LS600h were not, perhaps the £101,000 price tag of the LS made it an insurance requirement.

The test drive ISF is not recognised on the DVLA MOT check system so may have had a change of plates?

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:38 PM, Stuno1 said:

Have to say combining the 'f' models in to one forum would be a good start. If just to encourage more activity. I found myself on the yank forum a lot but that's ok. It would just be nice to have a more active 'f' forum here. I know many are sceptical about meets but it makes a big difference to the ownership experience for enthusiasts. Speaking with like minded folk and putting faces to forum names etc

People seem to find them awkward and may be unwilling to attend but they are always pleased once they do. It takes activity and willingness to participate to get things going and keep them going. It will ebb and flow but this place is good and has friendly people so it's all good. 

Have to agree about the meetings Stu, I met up with Flytvr at Kemble airfield a few weeks ago along with another IS-F owner who just happened to be there, what are the chances of that. It was a really good few hours, swapping opinions and chatting about our car history.

We will be meeting again at the same place in the next few weeks, I will post the actual date when I have one, hopefully a few more owners might turn up.

• Like 4