Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Your Lexus Dealer Experience

Always a good experience for me. Staff are friendly, courteous and offer everthing including a 'free' lift and pick up service to the local shopping centre while your car is with them. The only issue; when I picked up my new car, the oil was around 6-7cm above the maximum level on the dipstick. I just ended taking some out which equated to 500ml. This was quite a lot over what it should have been. I pointed it out to the dealership via email but didn't receive a response. Just had it serviced and it was bang on.

Lexus Μanchester and now Bolton as the Manchester branch isnow closed

Good falks, no problem there.

yes they are trying to make a profit and I am trying to save some hard earned ones but that is how capitalism works.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I think @doog442 is perhaps being a little paranoid. This is not some back street garage that is looking to make a few quid but not doing the basics.

The only thing I would suggest is to enquire directly about the air filter since it might have not been changed due to the mileage.

LOL........main dealers maybe a little bit better than back street garages, but I have heard of as many horror stories from main dealers as i have from back street garages. 

I don't trust any garage and it pains me to have to take my car for servicing, but i take it to the main dealer as they are likely to be aware of any model specific issues. With the prices that Lexus charge i don't think they should be 'just checking' the basic items(filters etc) but changing them as a matter of course. 

• Like 3

May be a bit controversial but does it matter if a main dealer services the car properly or not? If you have the stamps in the book that it has been serviced they will have to honour any warranty claim weather the work was done or not.

37 minutes ago, Martin F said:

LOL........main dealers maybe a little bit better than back street garages, but I have heard of as many horror stories from main dealers as i have from back street garages. 

I don't trust any garage and it pains me to have to take my car for servicing

Well, based on these two statements, I feel that even good service from a dealer would not convince you to like them.

The fact that this thread is mostly glowing praise should tell you something about Lexus dealers in general.  Is the service always perfect? No.  However, compared to some of the experiences that myself and my friends have had with other manufacturers' dealers, they are miles ahead.

Also, the official service checklist is available on the Lexus website.  It states:

"Inspect air filter - replace as required (model dependant)"

This is quite reasonable since replacing a clean filter serves no purpose.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

May be a bit controversial but does it matter if a main dealer services the car properly or not? If you have the stamps in the book that it has been serviced they will have to honour any warranty claim weather the work was done or not.

Well, looking after a car has little to do with its warranty status.

Why would you deliberately introduce issues to a car that simple maintenance could avoid?

Also, what about those people who's cars are no longer in their warranty period?

Well, looking after a car has little to do with its warranty status.

Why would you deliberately introduce issues to a car that simple maintenance could avoid?

Also, what about those people who's cars are no longer in their warranty period?

Precisely, so why would main dealers not service the car properly?

2 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Precisely, so why would main dealers not service the car properly?

Who says they don't?

Besides, if that was the case, it is most likely to be down to the individual doing the work, rather than the dealership as a whole.  Now, since that is hardly specific to car dealers, I do feel that we are getting off the point.

So, to that end, do you have cause to complain about your main dealer experiences?

My only experience of my Lexus dealer (Swindon) has been the purchase and handover of my new RC. I can honestly say they have been everything I expected from a luxury marque. First rate. Considerate, communicative, accommodating. Yes, I realise this stage of interaction is about getting my custom and money ..... If they turn out anything close to MB Swindon in respect to customer service I'll be very happy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I think @doog442 is perhaps being a little paranoid. This is not some back street garage that is looking to make a few quid but not doing the basics.

The only thing I would suggest is to enquire directly about the air filter since it might have not been changed due to the mileage.

Perhaps if you read my post earlier in the thread you could understand the reason for my paranoia ...just a thought!

It was all logged on here and nothing has really detracted me from the same thoughts in those intervening years having read this forum ever since. Everyone really should have a degree of paranoia about any vehicle main dealer and sadly Lexus aren't immune from criticism. 

However my recent Lexus purchase was handled exceedingly well. Most dealers handle sales well, Lexus have an advantage in that the kit they hand over tends to be quality kit and very reliable...hence I'm still a customer, that's the only reason mind. I didn't return to Lexus for the customer service. I've personally had far better service from BMW/ Mini / Mazda for example....but shocking service from others  Vauxhall, Hyundai and Lexus included.

Remember that a Lexus approved service history is NOT a full service history....its in the small print. As long as they continue to pull that cunning stunt you have every reason to be slightly paranoid over your purchase :wink3:

3 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

May be a bit controversial but does it matter if a main dealer services the car properly or not?

yes it does matter as my IS is a private car and not paid for by the company i work for,

if i am paying full price for a service i expect to have the car serviced properly and for everything that

is needed for the service to be changed / adjusted

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Perhaps if you read my post earlier in the thread you could understand the reason for my paranoia ...just a thought!

It was all logged on here and nothing has really detracted me from the same thoughts in those intervening years having read this forum ever since. Everyone really should have a degree of paranoia about any vehicle main dealer and sadly Lexus aren't immune from criticism. 

However my recent Lexus purchase was handled exceedingly well. Most dealers handle sales well, Lexus have an advantage in that the kit they hand over tends to be quality kit and very reliable...hence I'm still a customer, that's the only reason mind. I didn't return to Lexus for the customer service. I've personally had far better service from BMW/ Mini / Mazda for example....but shocking service from others  Vauxhall, Hyundai and Lexus included.

Remember that a Lexus approved service history is NOT a full service history....its in the small print. As long as they continue to pull that cunning stunt you have every reason to be slightly paranoid over your purchase :wink3:

I did read your post, but I said what I did because it seems all your problems were with the sales side, not service?  I am not going to comment on second hand cars and salesmen, but perhaps there is a difference between it and whether your oil and air filters are changed?

As for the service history, this is what it says when you click Approved Service History on the main used car page of the Lexus website:

service.jpg

Now, I don't mean to take the ***** (really, I don't), but it wasn't hard to find the information that it might not have a complete service history?

Don't get me wrong, I think the stuff you mentioned in your post is shocking, and I would definitely give any car I purchased from a dealer a good once over before buying.

But I think I have laboured the point enough now, and perhaps I will get to use your advice about buying a car from a Lexus dealer if I am lucky enough one day. :smile:

• Like 1

I think the most important thing is that no matter how luxurious the product is when we get in touch with our respective main dealers is what happens to the level of service when things go wrong, and I should think that the majority of Lexus dealers will move heaven and earth to get the problem sorted. Happy Christmas to all you Lexus lovers and of course to those who haven't found out about

the world of Lexus yet.

• Like 3

On 25/12/2016 at 1:15 AM, Shahpor said:

I did read your post, but I said what I did because it seems all your problems were with the sales side, not service?  I am not going to comment on second hand cars and salesmen, but perhaps there is a difference between it and whether your oil and air filters are changed?

As for the service history, this is what it says when you click Approved Service History on the main used car page of the Lexus website:

service.jpg

Now, I don't mean to take the ***** (really, I don't), but it wasn't hard to find the information that it might not have a complete service history?

I'm not sure what point you are labouring and it sounds to me like you are taking the *****? If you were to read the above you will see in the smaller of the small print (yes they make it that small) that a Lexus main dealer can simply slap a Lexus approved service history (and call it approved pre owned ) on a car that has missing services or no history at all . The OP mentions distrust, to me this should ring a few alarm bells. 

I know you found it by using google or whatever but try visiting a dealer, finding and drilling down into that very small print with a salesperson. There will be incredulous looks aimed in your direction as you seek to clarify that one of their marvelous machines might not actually be all you might think it is.:winkiss:.....''Let me get you a coffee as I fail to dig out that service history...you really want to see it's service history ? ..its a Lexus on a Lexus forecourt for gods sakes "  ..

Note the bead of sweat appear on the salespersons forehead as that bundle of commission goes walkies and the realisation that someone with a bit of savvy who didn't fall for the glass / marble /coffee and the charms of the reception staff has walked in. I thought I had the savvy but when a simple question 'does it have a full service history' was answered with 'off course'..I assumed because it was a LEXUS dealership they were telling the truth and not ready to pull out that little piece of paper to cover themselves several weeks later when I asked for my money back.

People need to be aware, no more,  no less - however quite rightly the assumption from the majority of people would be that a car on a Lexus forecourt would / should have a Full history. It might not be bang within the dates but should be thereabouts. 

• Like 3

On 24/12/2016 at 8:39 PM, Shahpor said:

Well, based on these two statements, I feel that even good service from a dealer would not convince you to like them.

The fact that this thread is mostly glowing praise should tell you something about Lexus dealers in general.  Is the service always perfect? No.  However, compared to some of the experiences that myself and my friends have had with other manufacturers' dealers, they are miles ahead.

Also, the official service checklist is available on the Lexus website.  It states:

"Inspect air filter - replace as required (model dependant)"

This is quite reasonable since replacing a clean filter serves no purpose.

You do realise that as soon as you drive down the road with a new air filter it's dirty ?  "replace as required" is purely a subjective view based on the mechanic's decision, which is more likely to be driven by dealership bottom line or his\her laziness rather than consideration of the customers 'value for money'

In fact the problem with this whole thread is that people will have different standards. Some people will be really happy because they got their car back washed and hoovered and never actually realise that the oil filter was never replaced or that there is excessive play in a ball join that should have been spotted by a mechanic. Others, like above, will notice that the oil has been overfilled which can sometimes lead to damage if not spotted and is just pure negligence on behalf of the dealership when you are paying over £200 for a basic service. 

I wonder how many people on here check their oil levels after a service, not many I suspect.

• Like 2

The last paragraph is the nonsense.  A vehicle with an incomplete service record can receive a major service from the retailing dealer and then be declared as an "Approved Pre-owned Lexus ".  No matter that it didn't receive a service between 10k and 30k miles, it's all fixed by the latest service.....bullocks !!

• Like 1

Always remain sceptical boys, always. They're all out to make money, they may offer the best coffee and biscuits and polite receptionists but don't let that distract you.

They use words that have different meanings in different circumstances, buyers tend to look at the same words differently when they hit a problem and the garages say "NO"

See the warranty thread.

2 hours ago, steveledzep said:

The last paragraph is the nonsense.  A vehicle with an incomplete service record can receive a major service from the retailing dealer and then be declared as an "Approved Pre-owned Lexus ".  No matter that it didn't receive a service between 10k and 30k miles, it's all fixed by the latest service.....bullocks !!

i always thought for a car to be lexus approved it had to have a full lexus service history

this is a bit of an eye opener, so you px a car without a full lexus service history and get buttons for it

then lexus spend a few quid on a major service then add £3000 / £4000 onto the price they gave to you

when they re sell it ,that sounds like legalised robbery.

Sonunds like good business sense. Owner spends on Lexus services and gets a few £k better px, balances out for the dealership. 

Prospective owner goes for an approved used and gets a serviced car with warranty.

3 hours ago, doog442 said:

I'm not sure what point you are labouring and it sounds to me like you are taking the *****? If you were to read the above you will see in the smaller of the small print (yes they make it that small) that a Lexus main dealer can simply slap a Lexus approved service history (and call it approved pre owned ) on a car that has missing services or no history at all . The OP mentions distrust, to me this should ring a few alarm bells. 

I know you found it by using google or whatever but try visiting a dealer, finding and drilling down into that very small print with a salesperson. There will be incredulous looks aimed in your direction as you seek to clarify that one of their marvelous machines might not actually be all you might think it is.:winkiss:.....''Let me get you a coffee as I fail to dig out that service history...you really want to see it's service history ? ..its a Lexus on a Lexus forecourt for gods sakes "  ..

Note the bead of sweat appear on the salespersons forehead as that bundle of commission goes walkies and the realisation that someone with a bit of savvy who didn't fall for the glass / marble /coffee and the charms of the reception staff has walked in. I thought I had the savvy but when a simple question 'does it have a full service history' was answered with 'off course'..I assumed because it was a LEXUS dealership they were telling the truth and not ready to pull out that little piece of paper to cover themselves several weeks later when I asked for my money back.

People need to be aware, no more,  no less - however quite rightly the assumption from the majority of people would be that a car on a Lexus forecourt would / should have a Full history. It might not be bang within the dates but should be thereabouts. 

I assure you I am not trying to take the *****, and if it came across that way, then I apologise.

There is one factor that I didn't take into account when I made that post; actually visiting the dealer rather than searching on the Lexus website.  Blame it on being a heavy internet user :smile:

It is actually interesting that this exchange has highlighted to some the fact that used approved doesn't mean full history.  This is one of the reasons I love forum, since you never know what you might find out.

I agree that it is a bit of sham regarding the service histories considering how much of a premium you pay for buying from a main dealer.  It seems you are better off doing what I did, which is purchase privately and then just buy a warranty from Lexus.  Works out much cheaper.

Anyway, I hope there are no hard feelings.  I have had a few constructive conversations on here where people haven't agreed, so it is not always a bad thing.  This forum would be rather boring if everyone thought the same. :smile:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin F said:

You do realise that as soon as you drive down the road with a new air filter it's dirty ?  "replace as required" is purely a subjective view based on the mechanic's decision, which is more likely to be driven by dealership bottom line or his\her laziness rather than consideration of the customers 'value for money'

In fact the problem with this whole thread is that people will have different standards. Some people will be really happy because they got their car back washed and hoovered and never actually realise that the oil filter was never replaced or that there is excessive play in a ball join that should have been spotted by a mechanic. Others, like above, will notice that the oil has been overfilled which can sometimes lead to damage if not spotted and is just pure negligence on behalf of the dealership when you are paying over £200 for a basic service. 

I wonder how many people on here check their oil levels after a service, not many I suspect.

You are right that it is a bit vague.  The same reason I hate the phrase 'wear and tear' on the warranty documents since it can be interpreted in so many ways.

Funnily enough, this is what my air filter looked like last time I changed it:

post-53725-0-68724300-1440437173.jpg

Although the last service before this picture was not done by a main dealer.  Still, it should have at least been checked and mentioned as needing to be changed, even at extra cost.

It is an interesting point regarding people checking oil levels.  I doubt many will have a look since they assume basic competency.  I suppose if your engine blew up from oil starvation you should have a case against Lexus for not looking after it properly. 

Having said that, in the context of this thread, I think people assume that their service was carried out properly.  Otherwise, no matter how good the dealer seems to be, the overall experience can't be that good if you doubt their standard of work.

• Like 1

In the Netherlands Lexus offers a "designated mechanic"so it is always thesame person working on your car. I have to admit that i never looked at the oil level after a service but i do ask what has been done. In Detail. Sometimes the service manager has to call the mechanic and i think that works well enough for me. They can explain what has been done and what they did not do yet because of.

Another thing is prices for service. I find these are open for negotiation. 30.000 km service that will cost you X sir, Really? wow thatś expensive are you sure there is nothing you can do about that price?. Oh hmm well ok best i can do is Y. My advice would be to always ask for the price when making an appointment and never agree the price immediately.. 

• Like 1