Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Induction kit/Air Filter ISF?

I'm certainly no Ed China but have added induction kits to previous cars, including my previous IS250. I don't rack up many miles each year and most of my driving is pottering around the local roads at 30/40/50 mph. At these speeds rarely will the car get near the 3,500 RPM required to hear the addictive growl which comes from the 2nd intake. Is there a particular air filter/induction kit that anyone could recommend that increases the noise/feel good factor at the lower rev's? Just looking into the options at the moment, wouldn't consider any major changes to the exhaust. Any input/experiences would be appreciated!

11 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Takeda actually loses the 2nd intake noise. It does increase noise though.

Thanks Stu, that could be a good option if its creating that noise consistently through rev range! I assume you had this on your F?

10 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

I loose the secondary intake noise too on my K&N typhoon intake. But get the V8 growl right through the revs . Sound amazing but that's only my opinion 

Audio / video clip David?

1 hour ago, Warrington guy said:

I loose the secondary intake noise too on my K&N typhoon intake. But get the V8 growl right through the revs . Sound amazing but that's only my opinion 

Perfect, great to have a few options which could give me that little extra noise without any major tinkering. Thanks for the input! 

18 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

I've just been researching intakes for the last hour! It was all a bit inconclusive though. I ended up getting an apexi kit off ebay, I'll let you know how I get on. 

Can I ask what made you choose the Apexi?  I'm still considering but think the Takeda was the best option.... Bit still interested to hear other opinions.v

Um, it was a bit of an impulse buy because I was just getting bored and confused with the research! 

I was put off getting an open type filter and the apexi retains the standard air box. Plus it is a dry filter so avoids any issues with oil getting in the intake. 

The research suggests there is little performance difference between all the different types so it's probably not worth worrying about too much 😀

Well and truly confused myself with all the options and various reviews on the US forums. Wasted several hours online the last couple of nights. Was set on the Takeda, then switched to a hps pipe and toms drop in filter but still undecided. I recall a while ago @DT_Racing went for a similar option and it would be great to know if he got addition sound throughout the Rev range. The ideal would be for a setup with gave the extra noise throughout the Rev range but without dropping too much hp. Maybe it doesn't exist....

47 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Well and truly confused myself with all the options and various reviews on the US forums. Wasted several hours online the last couple of nights. Was set on the Takeda, then switched to a hps pipe and toms drop in filter but still undecided. I recall a while ago @DT_Racing went for a similar option and it would be great to know if he got addition sound throughout the Rev range. The ideal would be for a setup with gave the extra noise throughout the Rev range but without dropping too much hp. Maybe it doesn't exist....

Emjay, you are right I designed my own Intake system which is a hybrid of the Lexus CCSR, and the HPS Intake tube with a panel filter. There is an increase in noise but it isn't in the realms of a full open cone intake like the K&N. It also still retains the secondary system so no matter what you do it's not going to make much noise before it comes on song and askes for the extra flow at 3.5k. 

Many thanks @DT_Racing,for the input, I think the Takeda is my best option at the expense of a little hp. I'm not currently planning on changing the exhaust system so the pipe and drop in filter doesn't make any sense for what I wanted to achieve.....extra noise throughout the rev range.

If it helps I had a Takeda on my old ISF and have a Toms panel filter in the stock air box on my new one,

The Takeda gives a nice intake noise but not really performance.  The Toms for me is better but doesn't give the aesthetic in the engine bay.

1 hour ago, Grey One said:

If it helps I had a Takeda on my old ISF and have a Toms panel filter in the stock air box on my new one,

The Takeda gives a nice intake noise but not really performance.  The Toms for me is better but doesn't give the aesthetic in the engine bay.

Thanks for this, what benefits do you get from the Toms? 

Hi Mark.

I am only going off my own personal experiences, but I wouldn't go for the Takeda if I was in your position.

When I first bought my car, I actually bought a Takeda from the States due to the savings from Black Friday (it was actually before I had completed the purchase of the car itself, so that just shows you how convinced I was that I would be buying an IS-F!).

When Eurospec dyno'd my car, I had a nasty spike on my AFR readings, and the car was down on power compared to others with stock intake setups. I replaced the Takeda with an HPS silicone pipe, stock airbox, and a K&N panel filter. When they did another dyno run, the AFR issues was gone, the car gained back the lost HP with a few extra added on for good measure.

I can't deny the intake noise from the Takeda was a nice touch, but it wasn't worth the cash in my view.

Like James, I now run the TOM's panel filter in the stock airbox with the RR-Racing Titanium intake. Whilst this wasn't cheap, it really is eye catching in the otherwise dull engine bay. The removal of the two hoses that go into the intake was also a big plus for me, as this coupled with the AOS from RR-Racing now means I have literally no oil going into my intake manifold. You would be surprised at how much oil is getting in there based on the residue/what I empty out of the AOS.

If you aren't planning to spend a lot on other things, the titanium intake and AOS would be my top two suggestions for the engine side of things.

For handling purposes, you should really consider getting the RR-Racing USRS. Makes such a noticeable and confidence inspiring change to the cars handling characteristics.

If you have any questions or concerns, please fire them up on here. I'll be checking in more often to try and help where I can.

Cheers.

Pete :smile:

Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion Pete, much appreciated! :yes: What are the benefits of the Toms filter and intake pipe?

I was searching again last night, would this combination work.....

https://www.merakiautoworks.com/collections/isf-products/products/rr-racing-intake-for-lexus-is-f or http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPS-Blue-4-Ply-Silicone-Post-MAF-Air-Intake-Hose-Kit-For-Lexus-08-13-ISF-IS-F-V8-/311605343587?fits=Make%3ALexus 

Plus....

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/lexus/is-f/toms-super-ram-air-filter-lexus-is-f.html

I have installed an induction kit on my previous IS250 so as long as the HPS/RR pipe connects to the stock airbox without additional parts required, I should be OK.

Hi Mark,

So I doubt there are any real gains from the TOM's/intake pipe in terms of HP, but the quality of the filter is worth the cost to minimise any unwanted debris slipping through.

The pipework is also more streamlined than the OEM design, so improves the airflow/less restrictions.

It won't add anything to the intake noise (but also won't take anything away, so the secondary intake still kicks in nicely when you reach that magic band in the rev range), but does seem to give better initial response/pickup over OEM.

Again, it's all subjective, with no real numbers as such to consider. Main thing for me was I didn't want to lose HP with an intake, and I wanted the air to flow as easily as possible for when I remap/add further modifications.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Pete :cool:

Just to throw it out there... have an HPS Intake pipe I'm not using now having designed my own. Like Pete I know run without he two top breather hoses from the heads and the RR-Racing AOS system (although not fitted yet). 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links