Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2017 Infotainment

Has anybody had the chance to see the infotainment system on the 2017 model, and if so, what's  your impression compared to the previous version?

Probably a dumb question, but seeing as it's mainly just new software, what are the chances Lexus will offer it as a retrofit to the older models?

At my last service just two weeks ago, my dealer wasn't even aware that the new model had an 'improved' infotainment system and went into typical denial model when I asked if there would be any major updates for the lousy present system. 

Happy holidays all!

If its anything like the system in the new RX than the underlying menus/features are identical, but with bigger higher res screen and noticeable quicker responses interms of changing menus/function. A worthwhile upgrade but more a like software update rather than new software/features. 

11 hours ago, ganzoom said:

If its anything like the system in the new RX than the underlying menus/features are identical, but with bigger higher res screen and noticeable quicker responses interms of changing menus/function. A worthwhile upgrade but more a like software update rather than new software/features. 

Yes it's exactly the same as the RX and GS now.

All I want is Android Auto and then Lexus don't even have to try as far as I am concerned.   Surely it's not rocket science?  

Even though I am going to get a facelift IS in June I am making a concession for the infotainment, because it isn't the cars best feature in any shape or form.

14 hours ago, Blisteringblue said:

All I want is Android Auto and then Lexus don't even have to try as far as I am concerned.   Surely it's not rocket science?  

Even though I am going to get a facelift IS in June I am making a concession for the infotainment, because it isn't the cars best feature in any shape or form.

They're not going to use android auto. They declared it a while back as there's no being sure of what direction android will take

With 110,000km on the clock I can definitely say it's the most reliable car I've ever had, but Lexus' conservatism is not going to do them many favours. Personally I'd be quite happy with a slightly less reliable car if used cutting-edge technology, but when you look at it seriously the Lexus tech is quite crap for 2016/2017; even the light sensors, auto wipers, adaptive cruise control are terrible! And not even having a decent gearbox is the ultimate in playing it safe. Also, unless I'm seriously mistaken, I don't see Lexus looking into plug-in hybrid or all-electric. I dared challenge my dealer with these statements, only to be arrogantly rebuffed with the claim that serious drivers don't see merit in fancy tech on the dash. My departing words should have been that, even though I might be the 400,000th on the list, I can't half wait for the invitation to on-line configure my Tesla Model 3!  For my next service, I'll have a bumper sticker saying 'My next car is a Tesla'!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Platypus said:

..Personally I'd be quite happy with a slightly less reliable car if used cutting-edge technology,...

they exist and are called BMW's

That been said, soon enough this type of technology on board will be available by all cars,  as they will all connect to the mobile phone and its apps.

Not forgetting the self driving cars either that will soon be a game changer in the industry

Considering this, Reliability and Brand appeal will become again the most important sales point

• Like 1

Indeed... but so many beemers on the road. Was also considering the new 330e plug-in but it's just more of the same. Nope, I'll go full-hog this time: electric is the future, hope Elon can make the model 3 seriously reliable by the 400,000th! Sorry Lexus, but you were just not listening :(

2 hours ago, Platypus said:

With 110,000km on the clock I can definitely say it's the most reliable car I've ever had, but Lexus' conservatism is not going to do them many favours. Personally I'd be quite happy with a slightly less reliable car if used cutting-edge technology, but when you look at it seriously the Lexus tech is quite crap for 2016/2017; even the light sensors, auto wipers, adaptive cruise control are terrible! And not even having a decent gearbox is the ultimate in playing it safe. Also, unless I'm seriously mistaken, I don't see Lexus looking into plug-in hybrid or all-electric. I dared challenge my dealer with these statements, only to be arrogantly rebuffed with the claim that serious drivers don't see merit in fancy tech on the dash. My departing words should have been that, even though I might be the 400,000th on the list, I can't half wait for the invitation to on-line configure my Tesla Model 3!  For my next service, I'll have a bumper sticker saying 'My next car is a Tesla'!

I've driven many cars and the wipers, sensors and adaptive cruise control is fine. 

The car is 2013, not 2016 btw. It's been put for 3 years

I really like alot of parts of our IS300H but its increasingly feeling like a out of date machine despite ours been not even 2 years old. 

Last week I swapped cars with the wife as she was on childcare duty, left for work at my usual time and ended up been late because I had to stand out in the cold defrosting the IS like a lemon.

I'm now too use to been able to pick up the phone 10 minutes before leaving the house, sending a command to the car to start warming up and be greeted by a warm/defrosted car all ready to go when I step out of the front door. 

30532791154_fbfa3c31f7_z_d.jpg 

With the Leaf soon to make way for a Tesla I fear the gulf in tech will soon be even larger. After just a week with the Leaf and its prewarm feature my wife is now for the first time considering the possibility of going fully EV her self :) 

I think a prewarmed car that can drive it self may just be deal clincher for her... Lexus has ALOT of catching up to do on the car technology front. 

https://youtu.be/VG68SKoG7vE

There's a huge difference between the IS300h and the leaf in luxury, finishing of the interior, general look and feel of the car and overall performance, to name a few. It's not a fair comparison by a long shot. The range of the Leaf is also very, very temp dependent. It drops like a rock in cold temperatures, all reviews of the car name this as a big con. Comparing the IS300h to any EV, you should take Tesla. There you hit the price wall and you still don't get the finishing of the Lexus. Yes, EV is the future, but that future is still far away.

16 hours ago, Platypus said:

3 years to improve things. Curious to try out the 2017 model to see how far they got! :wink3:

It's just a facelift so not much attention will be paid to it. 

They're more prioritised with the LC, new LS, GS and CT which are coming out in the next few years. THe NX is also getting a facelift.

The infotainment in the LC is the new generation one and it works very well.

6 hours ago, marrat said:

There's a huge difference between the IS300h and the leaf... It's not a fair comparison by a long shot. 

Absolutly agree, we own both, the Leaf wins by a country mile, as demonstrated by the fact its done more miles than the IS depsite been in our possession for a shorter amount of time :). 

If it was up to me I would get rid of our IS today for a 30kWh Leaf or even the updated Zoe. But the IS is my wifes car and she's far too sensible to PX a 2 year old car that we paid cash for on the basis of deprecation is worst in the first 5 yeara of ownership. Anyways the saving grace is I only have to drive the thing on the occasional basis, but annoying I'm still tasked with filling up the thing with petrol every few months :(. 

10 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

Absolutly agree, we own both, the Leaf wins by a country mile, as demonstrated by the fact its done more miles than the IS depsite been in our possession for a shorter amount of time :). 

If it was up to me I would get rid of our IS today for a 30kWh Leaf or even the updated Zoe. But the IS is my wifes car and she's far too sensible to PX a 2 year old car that we paid cash for on the basis of deprecation is worst in the first 5 yeara of ownership. Anyways the saving grace is I only have to drive the thing on the occasional basis, but annoying I'm still tasked with filling up the thing with petrol every few months :(. 

Disagree. I drove one just to see the hype and wasn't won over at all. Yes it's got instant torque and quite a lot of tech but hey, my cars are garaged so don't have any frosted screens. The quality of the Leaf is crap as well. With the IS it feels like luxury, the Leaf feels inferior to my sons VW Polo inside

The worst bit is the range. It's absolutely shocking. Couldn't even get my son to York and back without being worried about the range. It officially said 7 miles when I got back. 

Plug in Electric Golf is much much better

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

My wife has a Leaf, it's our second car. Instead of going for something like a Mazda 2 or Auris, we decided to get a used Leaf. While it is a nice car, deceptively large and comfortable, there's no way it can in any way compete with something like the IS300H. We'll have to agree to disagree though, from your posts it's clear you'll put any average full EV above a Lexus.

^ Weekend just gone, Leaf used everyday for multiple trips. Lexus sat on the drive iced over. Wife was main driver every trip and picked up keys to the Leaf every time. 

I'll take the driving experience over soft plastic, a fancy badge any day of the week. The laggy, noisy, unrefined drive train on the IS feels totally redundant compared to the instant torque of the EV motor. Every time I drive our IS I end wondering just how good it could be if it had a proper EV drive train. 

The killer though, our IS300H cost £35k and has already lost about £10-15k in deprecation. The Leaf £200/month with no deposit for 24 months, oh and fuel cost over 12k miles = £150.

The fact a cheap electric version of Nissan Note can deliver a better driving experience than a 'premium' saloon is the problem Lexus has. 

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

The fact a cheap electric version of Nissan Note can deliver a better driving experience than a 'premium' saloon is the problem Lexus has.

We considered a Leaf but were not overly impressed.   If you only do short journeys just maybe. Neither of us liked its styling particularly the exterior.

I have a round  trip tomorrow of 300 miles. Not going near any charging stations so an impossible journey anyway in a Leaf.  

Ed:yes:

The drivetrain in the IS is hardly unrefined or "laggy" compared to other cars  

The new 2.5l hybrid is coming out in next couple of years with 240hp and 70mpg+ on the IS and has lithium ion batteries. 

I believe it's also coming with the new multistage CVT gearbox and Lexus are working on a plug in as well but it's taking time due to testing for reliability.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links