Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 - why shouldn't I buy one?

IMO it's pale brown rather than cream, unless the sun's shining on it.  Some green ones have black upholstery, which I would have preferred.  Anyway,. fingers crossed for tomorrow...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunnybrae said:

It was on ebay back in August but I cant remember how much for, its probably dropped in price as the dealer was trying it on to start with back in October so the price now is probably close to what he paid for it? 

Mines the same colour combination and I love it :xmas:

Useful to know, thanks  - I've not seen many dealers halve their asking price so soon but could well be for the reason you state.  Will see tomorrow 9.30am!

I have the same colour green but with black leather (shows every bit of dust/debris etc) I would have loved the beige interior, I think it really looks the part of a luxury sedan.

The green one you are going to look at was sold around July/August time for around the price it is at now if I remember right.

I was looking to buy another around that time but after looking at a few and clocking up miles I gave up, came to the conclusion that I wont find another as good as the one I have, because people are holding onto them 

• Like 1

So viewing over and I've left a deposit for the car!  

Very original with a complete book pack.

Last owner bought it in 2001.

4 owners

Lexus MD dealer history to 87k

Cambelt change at 67k/10yrs ago so will need doing shortly.

Number of other receipts with evidence of frequent oil changes back to 2004.

Couple of bits of trim need reaffixing - lower door and wing.

Has a tracker fitted somewhere.  

Supplied are a full set of new Kilen (Swedish made) coil springs, due to the repeat advisories of rusty coil springs. 

Drove nicely up to 50mph

all being well will collect on Weds 

• Like 1

Shirish

My 98 Mark 4 was owned by Lexus for twelve months and was fitted with a tracker by them for ins reasons as it was likely a demonstrator. 

I have all the details and can resume the service anytime as the tracker is in for the life of the car, it as a annual subscription charge and thats around £300 .

The down side is there is a drain on the Battery but as I have it on float charge when not in use I don't wish to go looking for it as it will be well hidden .

• Like 1

what's the mileage now on the one you're buying ?  If the cambelt is way short of 100k miles since the last change i wouldn't panic over it.

Malc

what's the mileage now on the one you're buying ?  If the cambelt is way short of 100k miles since the last change i wouldn't panic over it.

Malc

100k but 10yrs is a long time for a cambelt is it not?

for many cars yes i agree.  5/6 or 7 years and much lower mileages are the norm and with relatively inferior rubber belts.

The USA Ls400s recommend a cambelt change at 100k miles  ( not the UK dopey 63k miles ) and 10 years........  it's the same set-up so no reason for it to be less in the UK apart from some screwy idea that UK cars are more susceptible to  ???? what I can't imagine....  and Ls400 cambelts are known to probably be likely to fail only at 150k miles plus  ( as one reads .............. but you never hear of one failing !! )

The early Mk1 Ls400s had no time or mileage change recommendation at all, the belts were made of seemingly indestructible Kevlar compound !

I don't doubt that subsequent Ls400s have longevity built into the cambelts and their OEM replacements too...........  but it's entirely down to you when you change it of course.  I suspect if you change it now you will find an almost pristine " like new " belt.

My car will be on it's 3rd cambelt change ( the first two with a prior owner and at Lexus )  in a years time at 204500 miles, some 100k miles and 10 years after the last belt change..  at which i suspect i shall have the waterpump replaced and the contacts in the starter motor looked at.....  together then with a decision on what peripherals might also need attention ( pulleys and whatever )

However the timing of belt etc replacement is your decision alone, just letting you know the prior thoughts of members here ...  and mine too of course.

Good luck whatever

Malc

• Like 1

I think the issue might be that they are impossible to just " inspect " and take the best part of a day to get to, to view and change !

Others on here with greater knowledge will advise I'm sure.

Malc

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links