Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Much Fluid For power Steering.

Hi, I checked the level & it looks real dirty, that said, I just transfered some power steering fluid to a transparent  plastic bottle and the new stuff looks really dark so that might be why the fluid in mine looks dark.....any useful comment welcome

43 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Hi, I checked the level & it looks real dirty, that said, I just transfered some power steering fluid to a transparent  plastic bottle and the new stuff looks really dark so that might be why the fluid in mine looks dark.....any useful comment welcome

Whenever we get a new (to us) car I always get my mechanic to change the fluids because you never know what the previous owner has done. When we got this RX300 back in May, he changed the coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, front and rear diff oils, but not the power steering fluid. He reckons it's very rare to change steering fluid and I've no reason to doubt him so left it at that.

Yes a basters a great idea, I checked it again & it looks clear fluid but I doubt its ever been changed in its 21 years of life, it rarely needs a small top up & any fluid of that questionable age & maybe different brands is bound to be far removed in quality & kind compared to whats supposed to be in there, I'll get baster anyway & change most of it, Halfords 1 litre fluid, suitable for my car, 1 was around 7-90, anyway thanks for tips

RD

Dennis hi , you should use Dexron 2/3 ATF for your power steering not the regular Halfords stuff 

Thats ineresting, I called 2 Halfords to get a bottle, the first is a smaller store (Chiswick) they asked which car etc & said that they (that store) did not stock it & refered me to Isleworth (larger store). I called them & they asked which car and what the reg number was/is, so they were being specific, they then offered 2 for "that" car one was their fluid (just under 8 quid) & another at around 9 quid, so I went & got the halfords as I assumed the difference was only in the price & both fluids were ok for my car & year & reg (both of which they asked for)....so, when you say Halfords 'Regular' do you mean some kind of Halfords standard, multi cars fluid or the lexus ls fluid they claimed is for my car & year & whatever the reg tells them???

thanks

Dennis hi , if the fluid they have sold you is cherry red and says ATF then it is ok , if it is their usual black/brown treacle type then it probably shouldn't be used . 

Problems may arise later down the line if the wrong fluid is used , it may not mention the correct fluid in your Mk3 handbook ,I have two handbooks both came with 1996 Mk3's one specifies the fluid and the other has no mention of it . 

Thanks Robert, I checked it & the fluid is cherry red, so sounds right, it does not say ATF anywhere but on the main front label it says "Power Steering Fluid (PSF)" as I have just written it......so I assume thats Halfords alternative comment to ATF, so thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links