Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rain sensitive wipers

My IS250 has rain sensitive wipers and I am struggling with them. There is an adjustment on the wiper column with five settings, are these supposed to be the sensitivity (which I presume means the density of rain landing on the sensor)? Which setting is least sensitive?

See p135 of the owner's manual (section on rain-sensing windshield wipers). It describes operation in each of 7 switch positions. It should be available on line somewhere if you don't have one.

The wiper stalk should click down.the highest setting is single wipe and this one will click downwards automatically to off settinf, next one down is Auto and the rest are intermittent wipe settings of different speed.

There is a wheel on the same stalk which adjusts sensitivity. Just move it up and down, the mother upward setting is highest sensitivity

• Like 1

Thanks. I had not been able to work out how much the sensitivity varied between most and least sensitive and was wondering if something was amiss.

To be honest I have my doubts about rain sensing wipers generally. I get that if you were on a motorway and was caught by a lorry hitting a big puddle or similar that they are useful, otherwise I would rather have an intermittent option with a choice of variation between the wipes, like my old BMW 5 series.

Not the biggest fan of them myself. They are hopeless in light drizzle and misty conditions.

Also, it's probably best to leave them OFF when you park up at this time of year to prevent them trying to operate when your screen and wipers are frozen.

I had read that one of the fastest ways to scratch a windscreen was ice on the screen and using the wipers.. best to use de icer or warm water, or wait for the demister to do its work. Yet you see so many folk driving around peering through a tiny hole in the ice on their windscreen, rubbing at the inside of the glass with a cloth, when a bit of patience is what's required.

• 1 month later...

I find with mine it's very variable how much water is needed on the screen to get them to start. I'd throw a bucket of water on the windscreen then jump in and start the engine. I did read on the forum that if the rain sensor gets dirty the rain sensor function will stop. I think the manual shows the sensor location.

The rain sensor is located next to the rear view mirror, at the top of the windscreen.

Give it a clean and then throw some water on it.  If the wipers don't come on, then there is your problem.

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

The rain sensor is located next to the rear view mirror, at the top of the windscreen.

Give it a clean and then throw some water on it.  If the wipers don't come on, then there is your problem.

As well, when sensitivity is at highers setting, lightly tapping sensor enclosure should trigger the wipers, so you can check if anything is alive inside.

• 8 months later...

Hi all.

Mine tend to come on when it is damp and misty and stay on until they decide to switch off get fed up so turn them off before wearing the blades out.:huh:

I assume this is a normal thing to happen on the car:mellow:

65mike

on my old avensis it was a bit flakey, but you could disconnect the rain sensor (behind the mirror), and the wiper would revert to a normal intermttent type.

So far on both our Lexus (IS and Rx) not had need to do this... when it starts paying up, I change the blades and all is good.

On 11/5/2017 at 7:11 PM, 65mike said:

Hi all.

Mine tend to come on when it is damp and misty and stay on until they decide to switch off get fed up so turn them off before wearing the blades out.:huh:

I assume this is a normal thing to happen on the car:mellow:

65mike

My wipers are spot on except for very light rain (which sadly is most common type around London). So they either as you said.. stay too long, or wipe too fast or doesn't come on at all. Obviously, you can adjust sensitivity on the wipers stalk and sometimes it works just right, but if rain is light and intermittent I often just use "one-off" function (up 1) or set them to desired speed (down 2).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links