Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well after just over 4 years of ownership of my 2010 IS250 and with a 100k now on thee clock I thought I've done a back of a fag packet calculation on what it costs to run a car for a year quite sobering really but interesting that the depreciation is more than the cost of fuel for a year but then not suprising. I feel sorry for the previous owner who lost over £13k in two and a half years ownership when buying new.

So here are my figures based on 10,000 miles driving per year;

Lexus costs

Purchase price = £13500

Value now after 4 years & an additional 42k with 100k on the clock  =£6350

Car tax = £280/yr

MOT = £40/yr

Service/parts = £150/yr

Insurance = £240/yr

Fuel based on 10k/yr @ 33mpg paying 1.17/litre = £1612

Depreciation = £1750/yr

Total annual cost  = £4072/yr or 40p/mile

18 hours ago, Fishboy said:

Well after just over 4 years of ownership of my 2010 IS250 and with a 100k now on thee clock I thought I've done a back of a fag packet calculation on what it costs to run a car for a year quite sobering really but interesting that the depreciation is more than the cost of fuel for a year but then not suprising. I feel sorry for the previous owner who lost over £13k in two and a half years ownership when buying new.

So here are my figures based on 10,000 miles driving per year;

Lexus costs

Purchase price = £13500

Car tax = £280/yr

MOT = £40/yr

Service/parts = £150/yr

Insurance = £240/yr

Fuel based on 10k/yr @ 33mpg paying 1.17/litre = £1612

Depreciation = £1750/yr

Total annual cost  = £4072/yr or 40p/mile

Good post .... so its roughly comparative with a normal run of the mill car (mondeo etc ..) so begs the question why are the Lexus quite rare compared to these "normal" cars - definitely more reliable and if you take the reliability of them into account then they are probablu on a rar with these cars due to lack of repair bills...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

Good post .... so its roughly comparative with a normal run of the mill car (mondeo etc ..) so begs the question why are the Lexus quite rare compared to these "normal" cars - definitely more reliable and if you take the reliability of them into account then they are probablu on a rar with these cars due to lack of repair bills...

People usually look at paper figures. Hence £280, 33mpg doesn't look as good as £20 and 45mpg on the face of it. It's only when cars start breaking down that they end up spending more and not realising it's cost more overall

Good post as stated ,it costs a lot of money to run any car and in my opinion it is worth a little more to run something good. You have had good value in covering 42000 miles .I think the lexus is rarer because some people do not realise how reliable they are ,and because of the high garage labour cost they are frightened off by the worry of repair bills ,this also affects the rate of depreciation ,which I think is slightly greater with lexus  ; Good news for the 2 nd hand buyer .I am on my second now and would have no hesitation in buying another .

Dave

With an old girl like mine it's lost £62 in depreciation every single week from new, fortunately not from my pocket!  I wouldn't like to imagine what the depreciation, fuel and maintenance adds up to after 120k.

No i use a local garage which i have total trust in, tbh i have probably quoted light on the service costs probably 230 average would be closer to the mark, also missed off 2 sets of tyres which would be another £1000 over the last 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2016 at 10:47 PM, Fishboy said:

I am not convinced you can get 2010 IS250SEL (or it is SE-i) for 6350?

Secondly.. you lucky with insurance... mine would be the biggest expense, second only to the car price itself (if I would have paid 13k, but because I haven't it is actually the biggest expense for me).

I paid £11000 for my 2010 sei in October.  I'm beginning to think I got ripped off now. Mind you the car only had 22k on the clock and really is in prestige condition. 

I would agree with Rebecca u wasn't ripped off considering mileage and condition. Did u buy from lexus main dealer or independent dealer????!! If lexus dealer warranty is included in price of £800. when I bought mine  was on for 11500 but managed to haggle from lexus Plymouth.dealers always add 1500-2000 extra as they know ppl haggle.

I bought my car from available car.com which are not known for bargain motors and strictly do not haggle on price. The price advertised is the price you pay. It has got the optional 18 inch wheels though and in my opinion really suit the lexus more than the standard 17 inch.

Rebecca I would happily pay the extra 2 grand for a 2011 f-sport with that sort of milage. 

To be honest peachy i didnt specifically set out to buy the f-sport model. I had the SE-L model in mind as I wanted the same spec and comfort as my previous is220d. I went to view the car and immediately fell in love with it especially with it being my favourite colour white. As soon as I sat in those lovely sports seats I knew it was mine.

Ahmedali44 I bought my car from an independent garage quite local to me actually. It came with the standard warranty.  Im considering taking out a lexus extended warranty but then I think to myself do I actually need it? Arnt these one of the most reliable cars on the road.

Yes Rebecca, they are very reliable.  But, consider this :

I bought my extended warranty 14 months ago. Nov 2015 when I bought the car from an independent dealer.  I did so for peace of mind in case of major failure.  I've had nothing major, but I've had a rear caliper replaced and a headlamp assembly replaced when it had condensation inside.  Those two incidences alone total more than my £800 premium and I continue to enjoy premium AA membership and my warranty continues for the next ten months.  I plan to change from the convertible later in the year and I shall put an extended warranty on my new (to me) RX as soon as I get it.

Well after reading that steveledzep I'll be giving it serious consideration. I'm still covered for the next 2 months as I only purchased the vehicle last month.

I believe lexus will charge me  £895 for 24 month cover. Is that correct or can you guys recommended me anything better? 

Yes £895, payable in 12 direct debits of just under £75 per month, so interest free !  Nothing better as far as I know..

Have a read of your current warranty, you may be surprised at what's covered....or more to the point, what isn't covered !  It may be worthwhile taking out the Lexus warranty prior to the expiry of your dealer one ?

Thanks steveledzep. May I just ask, if I do decide to take out the lexus extended warranty do I have to take my car to a lexus dealer for services  to keep the warranty valid?

15 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Thanks steveledzep. May I just ask, if I do decide to take out the lexus extended warranty do I have to take my car to a lexus dealer for services  to keep the warranty valid?

Yep, the warranty requires the car to be serviced by a main dealer within 1 month or 2000 miles of the due date.

As Shahpor said.

Lexus will probably want to do a physical inspection of your vehicle prior to acceptance for the warranty.  I was fortunate that mine has a full Lexus service history so the inspection was deemed unnecessary.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links