Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Light switches and speed limit display

Hello all, I'm new to Lexus having owned numerous Volvos for the past 35 years. We have just taken delivery of a new Lexus GS450H. We're very pleased with it but I've found that the user manuals (both the large 'online' - circa 600 page and the paper version supplied with the car) are not too good.There are two issues I am stuck with at present:

1) The light switch(es) - the left hand stalk has two rotary knobs - the outer is the normal light selector (as far as I can tell) and there is an 'inner' rotary knob with three positions - the first two have detents and the switch locks in one of these two positions, the last position (three) has no detent and the knob returns to two when the knob is released. Neither manual mentions this knob or shows it in any illustration - what is its function? There is also a push button near the driver window side of the dash with a headlight symbol worded 'Auto', again, what is its function? I cannot find out how to switch on the rear high-intensity foglight either - this too is not mentioned anywhere.

2) I'm used to the (very useful) speed limit detection system - my last Volvo had it and it was very reliable. The system on the Lexus seems less dependable and often fails to detect roadsigns. When it does it then seems to stop displaying this information at random (this also occurs in the HUD). I've also noticed that when the vehicle is stopped and parked-up, upon returning to the car the speed limit display shows nothing and will only re-display after it has 'seen' a valid speed limit sign - this seems rather strange as if there's a speed limit when the car is parked-up and left, then the same limit will surely apply when returning to the car and starting-up. Any comments please?

Regards,

Mark Woodward.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark Woodward said:

1) The light switch(es) - the left hand stalk has two rotary knobs - the outer is the normal light selector (as far as I can tell) and there is an 'inner' rotary knob with three positions - the first two have detents and the switch locks in one of these two positions, the last position (three) has no detent and the knob returns to two when the knob is released.

First position switches on front fog lights, second position (against spring) turns on rear fogs. Turn it again (against spring) to turn rear fogs off.

No idea about the other stuff

14 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

First position switches on front fog lights, second position (against spring) turns on rear fogs. Turn it again (against spring) to turn rear fogs off.

No idea about the other stuff

And lights (images) should appear in the dash panel to indicate that they are on.

Regards

John

• Like 1

The push button with the headlight symbol and 'Auto' is the setting for auto high beam. If it's not already activated, push that button when you're on high beam and the car will attempt to detect other traffic and automatically dip the headlights accordingly.

As someone who still believes in the old-fashioned courtesy of dipping before an oncoming vehicle comes fully into view, I harbour a particular dislike for this 'feature' even when it works as intended. But that's just me...

"As someone who still believes in the old-fashioned courtesy of dipping before an oncoming vehicle comes fully into view, I harbour a particular dislike for this 'feature' even when it works as intended. But that's just me..."

I`m with you on this Jay. In my book it is a necessary requirement, not a courtesy,as is giving clear signals of your intentions to other road users.

MIRROR, SIGNAL,  manoeuvre , seems to be a lost practice !!

• Like 1

I believe the auto high beam only works at 30 mph, or above.

Also, if the screen is iced up (as sometimes occurs early in the morning) the detection of on-coming cars may not works, so you may be on high beam until you manually dip your lights.

On 12/31/2016 at 10:12 AM, royoftherovers said:

"As someone who still believes in the old-fashioned courtesy of dipping before an oncoming vehicle comes fully into view, I harbour a particular dislike for this 'feature' even when it works as intended. But that's just me..."

I`m with you on this Jay. In my book it is a necessary requirement, not a courtesy,as is giving clear signals of your intentions to other road users.

MIRROR, SIGNAL,  manoeuvre , seems to be a lost practice !!

I could not agree more on the last part of your post. The number of vehicles I come across that slow down almost to a standstill, then start to turn into a side road or driveway, and only then after the maneuver is started does an indication show. Non of us are perfect. We all make some mistakes, but this shows complete disregard for other road users.

John.

• Like 1

Hello chaps and thanks for the replies. The light switch issue is now sorted (thanks to your help). Ref the traffic sign (speed limit) detection system, I can only conclude that:

a) It's just not as good as the Volvo system - my last Volvo read every sign perfectly without fail = the Lexus today misread 20mph as 90, failed to read 50mph several times and nearly always failed to read the 'end of speed limit' (national speed limit) - the diagonal bar sign.

b) The system is faulty/needs adjustment - the car's only a week old thus I might take it to the dealer to see what they say.

I've had my GS300h for a couple of months now and found the sign recognition to be unreliable. Mine also misses signs and misreads them, the highest speed I've seen displayed so far is 110mph (chance would be a fine thing!).

I also find the auto headlamps too sensitive, even on the lowest setting I've had them turn on going under a tree in sunshine, and I can't find the right setting for the auto wipers either, they either wipe too frequently or wait until i can't see out of the windscreen. Both of these were not an issue on my last car which was a Skoda.

These are only minor niggles to me though and the car as a whole is far better than the Skoda.

I have also owned a 2016 GS300h for a couple of months and agree: the GS 300h is a fantastic car! However, the sign recognition system is not great.

I had a Garmin satnav in my old car and this would give speed limits via the GPS system, which was much more reliable. From reading the manual it appears that the Lexus satnav would use the GPS system unless you have the sign recognition system, in which case the satnav speed info is ignored.

Is there anyway to disable the sign recognition system and use the satnav/GPS for speed data, which I suspect may be a better option?

Ref "Is there anyway to disable the sign recognition system and use the satnav/GPS for speed data, which I suspect may be a better option" I've waded through the manuals (both paper and online) and the system gets scant mention - there is nothing in 'customisable options' suggesting it can be altered in any way. I've yet to hear anything from the Lexus dealership we bought the car from (rather dissapointingly).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links