Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Happy New year guys I hope no one is suffering to badly after last nights celebrations. 

It being the new year I have a job to do that I have been putting off for a while and after she has served me so well last year taking me on a 8 week tour of Europe.

The old girl needs a sill repaired as it was crushed by someone before me... although I did make it worse one day when I needed to get to my brakes.

It is now so bad I cant jack her up using the sill (and there is a puncture in that tyre nearest), I will throw a few photos up when It stops raining.

Has anyone had this problem I have googled it and cant find an answer.

Many thanks 

15 minutes ago, skyway said:

Happy New year guys I hope no one is suffering to badly after last nights celebrations. 

It being the new year I have a job to do that I have been putting off for a while and after she has served me so well last year taking me on a 8 week tour of Europe.

The old girl needs a sill repaired as it was crushed by someone before me... although I did make it worse one day when I needed to get to my brakes.

It is now so bad I cant jack her up using the sill (and there is a puncture in that tyre nearest), I will throw a few photos up when It stops raining.

Has anyone had this problem I have googled it and cant find an answer.

Many thanks 

Trolley jack, front or rear as appropriate.

Ramp at local friendly garage.

Regards

John

Hi John, I do do that but I cant always carry a large trolley jack with me at all times although I have tried.

It would be nice to have the ability to change a tyre by the side of the road tbh :)

1 minute ago, skyway said:

Hi John, I do do that but I cant always carry a large trolley jack with me at all times although I have tried.

It would be nice to have the ability to change a tyre by the side of the road tbh :)

Point taken Allan.

If you cannot use the jacking point under the sill (a) can you have it repaired/welded?

(b) join a motoring organisation or extend your car insurance to include breakdown cover.

Regards

John

I have breakdown cover however I like to be a little self reliant in regards to my car as I drive through some places where phone signal is a problem. It can also be fast and better to make that repair yourself when its something that you know how to do. (common faults)

Although on a 5000 mile trip last year only one tail light bulb went and that was on the 1st day.

Normally take full double kit of bulbs, tyre repair kit, fan belt, fuses, tools, some hose, etc.

As regards to getting it welded or repaired that's what I don't know and what I wrote the post for. 

I to be honest have very little (none) experience of body work I thought someone might have had the same problem.

Well depending on the severity of the damage it can either be pulled out or replaced, it is not a simple DIY job, any body repair garage will be able to do it and quote for the repair...

8 hours ago, skyway said:

Although on a 5000 mile trip last year only one tail light bulb went and that was on the 1st day.

Normally take full double kit of bulbs, tyre repair kit, fan belt, fuses, tools, some hose, etc.

As regards to getting it welded or repaired that's what I don't know and what I wrote the post for. 

I add to that list a Starter motor repair kit, inflate a tyre can, extra set of Wipers and 12mm copper front oil cooler pipe work cut to size, not to mention 30 kg of tools. Never needed anything but a 5v sidelight  bulb so far.  Good tyres essential.

Need to get that sill repaired or I would imagine its an MOT fail issue? Rust  on sills always was/is ...