Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hunting for a GS 450H

Farqui

Hi Everyone, I've just signed up as I'm on the hunt for a GS. Hopefully you knowledgeable lot can steer me to make the right choice ;)

I've a hankering for a comfortable V6 that's reliable.

I'm still trawling the tinterweb, absorbing model info, specs and seeing what cars are available.

I've yet to compare boot sizes between the 300 and 450H but don't think the smaller boot will be a stumbling block. The hybrid power and economy is very tempting.

I'll be checking insurance quotes tomorrow, so wish me luck!

As I occasionally travel with bikes I wondered if anyone has fitted a towbar? Or maybe roof racks the norm?

Spec isn't a big concern as they come with plenty of toys anyway.

I've seen a few 08 models around with

Dealers don't appear to have many older cars listed, is this normal? Surely they get trade in's as folks upgrade, so where do the cars go?

I've just read thru a few vehicle MOT histories and shocks appear to be a common fault. Pricey too by the look of it. I wondered if lots of faults over the years might be a better long term option, as parts had been replaced? Or maybe they haven't been cared for as much and faults only crop up come MOT time? Any thoughts?

If you know any decent cars for sale in the Midlands, then let me know.

Welcome Lee :smile:

Dealers will generally keep only the best cars to resell.  Anything with a few blemishes will be sent straight to auction instead.

Yep, if you do a search on here regarding dampers, you will see that the GS 450H does have what could be considered a weakness.  It is probably because the dampers were underspecced for the addition weight of the hybrid Battery the car carries.  It also seems to be pot luck as to whether an extended Lexus warranty will cover the cost of replacement should the worst happen.

As far as faults at MOT time, it really depends on what the faults are as well as how many.  For example, there are some silly ones, such as covers obscuring the testers view even though it is a standard fit item.  On the flip side, I once browsed the history of a car and it showed that it had one run flat tyre fitted to a car that didn't come with them as standard.  At this point, alarm bells are ringing as to the standard of care this car is provided.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Agreed, some of the MOT comments are comical (covers).

Had a shock with Adrian Flux at lunchtime, they sorted my current policy. But their best quote on a 450H was almost twice the cost of my current policy! Fortunately quotes came right down (comparable to current) from online searches, phew.

I hope to check some cars at the weekend. Then I'll get a better feel to the overall condition and how well they've been cared for.

Any thoughts on the later 08+ models, are they mechanically much different from the early gen3's?

I have fitted a tow bar to my GS450H used for towing a 2500lbs caravan. It pulls this with consummate ease as if it was not there. The car is rated at something like double that figure.

As stated in an earlier post leaking shocks front and rear are the thing to look out for at circa £300 each just for parts in the UK. US parts being cheaper. They are easy to replace though and can be done without a spring compressor.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Thanks for the reply.

Agreed, some of the MOT comments are comical (covers).

Had a shock with Adrian Flux at lunchtime, they sorted my current policy. But their best quote on a 450H was almost twice the cost of my current policy! Fortunately quotes came right down (comparable to current) from online searches, phew.

I hope to check some cars at the weekend. Then I'll get a better feel to the overall condition and how well they've been cared for.

Any thoughts on the later 08+ models, are they mechanically much different from the early gen3's?

Yeah, it is crazy what some insurance companies will quote.

As for later cars, there was a facelift in 2010 which would be nice to have, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.  It depends on your budget really.

Link some of the cars you are thinking about here so we can have a look. :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

I have fitted a tow bar to my GS450H used for towing a 2500lbs caravan. It pulls this with consummate ease as if it was not there. The car is rated at something like double that figure.

As stated in an earlier post leaking shocks front and rear are the thing to look out for at circa £300 each just for parts in the UK. US parts being cheaper. They are easy to replace though and can be done without a spring compressor.

John.

Hi John, good to hear that it's rated and capable of towing.  Most towbar use will be a cycle rack but I occasionally tow a car trailer.

Shocks are pricey but I'm happy to fit them myself, I've fitted and twiddled with coilovers before.

1 minute ago, Farqui said:

Hi John, good to hear that it's rated and capable of towing.  Most towbar use will be a cycle rack but I occasionally tow a car trailer.

Shocks are pricey but I'm happy to fit them myself, I've fitted and twiddled with coilovers before.

If you need any tips on changing shock "message me" and I will give you some pointers to make the job easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Yeah, it is crazy what some insurance companies will quote.

As for later cars, there was a facelift in 2010 which would be nice to have, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.  It depends on your budget really.

Link some of the cars you are thinking about here so we can have a look. :smile:

All 450H's

08 SE-L 130k £5480 private sale that looks well cared for.  It has more miles than I'd prefer and I'm not a fan of the wooden wheel either (not a deal breaker)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612170663368?logcode=visc

08 SE 90k £7777 FDSH, 1 owner, alloys look good as does the overall condition

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611300217561?logcode=visc

09 SE 80k £8680 with rear entertainment, in London tho which makes me wonder if it's all town driving

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610218996510?logcode=visc

08 SE-L 72k £6950 has a fair mileage and price but the alloys look shot and the rear interior looks quite worn, woody wheel again #sigh

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611230018967?logcode=visc

Your thoughts folks?

12 minutes ago, Britprius said:

If you need any tips on changing shock "message me" and I will give you some pointers to make the job easy.

Excellent, thank you.  

This kind of support is why forums are a great resource.

21 minutes ago, Farqui said:

The Last car on your list indeed has wheels that have been well kerbed, and painted over chrome. The tyres are also cheap Jinu Chinese tyres. 

The third one also looks like the rear internals are well marked.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The ones with full Lexus service history would be my choice - depending on condition.

Yes, the first ad at £7777 stood out because of that...all with the same dealer.  Hopefully the Bolton lot know what they're doing LOL

Average mileage for the year, looks to be worth a visit that one.

Yep, the £7777 would be my choice too.  I personally wouldn't bother with the £8680 one since my brother looked at a car at the same dealer and it didn't look like the best place to buy a car from.

The £5480 does look nice, but it does have a fair few miles on it.  However, if you were going to use the car lightly, it might still be an option.

But I like the fact that the £7777 has been serviced by the same dealer its entire life.  Should be a sign of proper maintenance by the previous owner.  Having said that, the MOT history does show that he/she liked to get their moneys worth out of their tyres!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Yep, the £7777 would be my choice too.  I personally wouldn't bother with the £8680 one since my brother looked at a car at the same dealer and it didn't look like the best place to buy a car from.

The £5480 does look nice, but it does have a fair few miles on it.  However, if you were going to use the car lightly, it might still be an option.

But I like the fact that the £7777 has been serviced by the same dealer its entire life.  Should be a sign of proper maintenance by the previous owner.  Having said that, the MOT history does should that he/she liked to get their moneys worth out of their tyres!

Ooh, good to some recommendation from the Wembley dealer.

Hehe, yes the MOT notes can be very telling about a cars history...a handy tool.

Had a good look around some GS300, GS450H's and an RX hybrid for good measure today.

The GS hybrid boot is tiny but by golly the car drives like nothing else we've ever piloted.

So after careful consideration I think we can forgive it the odd foyble.

I think i'm well and truely hooked, even the Mrs was impressed #surprised

• Like 1

Yes.  We looked at several last weekend and even to a new listing on Monday, many were rope-y but the £7,777 car was top drawer.  Just the peppered bonnet let it down and if the rest of the paintwork is in as good as nick as it looked (it was a wet day) then I'm tempted to get the bonnet brought up to the same level.  It drove really well on our short test drive and we have a longer test lined up in the morning.

On 1/12/2017 at 0:35 PM, Shahpor said:

You found one you like then?

Scratch that, the dealer just called to say the weather is dodgy up there.

They also need the garage to check over the tyre pressure sensors. It's located in the hills.

The threat of some pesky white stuff brings the country to a halt (again).

We have commitments this weekend, so now won't be able to go over till a week Saturday :(

Does the GS come with a handy 'option connector' on the fuse box?

One that allows a variety of different power feeds (permanent live, ignition switched, etc) from a dedicated plug or set of connectors.

I have one in my Civic and it makes wiring in a dashcam, etc soooo much easier.

Alas not yet, due to other commitments we can't get back over until Saturday :sad:

In the meantime it looks like I've found a Civinfo forum member to buy my Civic :w00t:

• Like 2