Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hunting for a GS 450H

Farqui

7 hours ago, Farqui said:

Oh and the dealer who sold me the car has stumped up for a good portion of the new exhaust, happy days :thumbup:

Excellent news :smile:  Always nice to hear about good dealer experiences.  I can't remember where you bought it from?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:
17 hours ago, Farqui said:
Oh and the dealer who sold me the car has stumped up for a good portion of the new exhaust, happy days [emoji106]

"Excellent news [emoji2]  Always nice to hear about good dealer experiences.  I can't remember where you bought it from?"

Good Motors in Bury, they were a little reluctant and tried ignoring me a bit but came 'good' in the end :yes:

Must admit I'm a little concerned about aspects of this thread. I've never ever felt that a Lexua dealer tried to rip me off for servicing or repairs and I'm on my 5th now. Happened plenty of times with other marques but never Lexus. In fact the dealerships always carried out minor repairs foc making the whole ownership experience satisfying. I hope this one is a one-off

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Must admit I'm a little concerned about aspects of this thread. I've never ever felt that a Lexus dealer tried to rip me off for servicing or repairs and I'm on my 5th now. Happened plenty of times with other marques but never Lexus. In fact the dealerships always carried out minor repairs foc making the whole ownership experience satisfying. I hope this one is a one-off

I was wary of going to a dealer but with a new (to me) and complex vehicle I figured it was worth the extra cost, especially as they will then warranty the Hybrid components for another 12 months.  

I have to admit that the Lexus health check is comforting but I really don't know what they are playing at with the dampers.  I've yet to return for my Hybrid diagnostic/warranty but when I do I will bring up the dampers again and hope to get a consistent answer. 

Does anyone know if you can tell how many miles a Hybrid system has covered since the 12v supply was reconnected?  Maybe via the OBD port or some hidden menu on the headunit?  Or is this a Lexus only/Techstream check?

Thanks Richard, much appreciated.

You know what, I may just need to familiarise with the mpg screen. It logs in 1 minute slices right, up to 30 mins across the screen. When I come back to the car after a few hours the previous history is still shown. However if I don't drive for a few days, does the slice history clear itself?

Hmmm, this doesn't tally as the slice data was clear when I collected the car after the zoorst work (left for just 6hrs).

The calc'd average and average trip at the bottom of the screen are still retained, until manually reset.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:26 PM, hybridbatterysolutions said:

Will have an answer on that one for you tomorrow Lee - give me a nudge if I forget.

Richard

:toot:

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 11:01 PM, hybridbatterysolutions said:
Bxxgger I forgot ! Just writing a note to myself! (V Busy)

Richard

Pfft, what are you like! Good to hear that you are keeping busy tho.

I've racked up over 500 miles since the zoorst was fitted, so will book it in for a Hybrid health check next week. I'll get to add a few more miles over the weekend, so they will help. I'm getting green Battery readings more often after adjusting my braking technique now, surely that'll look good on the health check?

Whilst I'm at the stealer, I'll try and get some solid info on how many miles are needed and how the trip screen works (see my note above).

• Like 1

Well provided its green when you drive in the voltages will be up. The Jury in my brain is out as far as whether its a good thing Battery wise or not - what's good in the short term isn't always good long term ? mmm leaning towards the probably ok view.

I'm not schizophrenic  -- are we??? 

• Like 2

The Hybrid system went in for it's health check today and passed, so is warrantied for another 12 months :yahoo:

I let the service manager know about my 'shox' issue and he was surprised, lets see if he looks into it any further.

I did get NIP'd for speeding last week tho :yucky: It's inexcusable and I'm really annoyed with myself as I DO NOT speed in urban areas. Mind you it does highlight how quiet the car is and how easy speed can creep up on you.  

Oh and the NSF lights are misted up again but less than before. So I reckon I'll leave the backs off in the sunshine for a few days now that it's warming up.

39 minutes ago, Farqui said:

I did get NIP'd for speeding last week tho :yucky: It's inexcusable and I'm really annoyed with myself as I DO NOT speed in urban areas. Mind you it does highlight how quiet the car is and how easy speed can creep up on you.  

A Lexus can be trained to do 30 mph you know!

• Like 1

Removed the rear calipers and they are in really good nick, i reckon they've been replaced :biggrin:

There's only an upper bolt holding them on, the lower mount just slides off. I guess that's to allow caliper to flip out of the way so the disk can be removed to get to the handbrake. Neat.

Cleaned, lubed and reassembled nicely.

PS: the OSR stone guard has corroded at the bottom, i'll see what I can do to sure it up the next time I'm under there.

Good job Lee. :thumbs_up:  I miss having the space to do this kind of thing.

I used to have the space, so I greased the pins on both my front calipers when I got mine since they were seized.  Funnily enough, my car went in on Friday for a new front caliper at the dealer cause it had seized again.  Of course, the dealer just replaced it, but I didn't mind since it was done under warranty. :smile:

Anyway, slightly disappointed when I went to pick the car up since, when I drove away, the pedal almost went to the floor!  The car still stopped fine, but the pedal travel was worse than before.  They got it back into the garage straight away, and it turns out the other front caliper had also seized.  Strange that they hadn't pick up on that before.

Can't really complain though since I have had the use of 3 different IS300h's in the last week and I have had the current one since Saturday till this Wednesday. :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks.

@Shahpor, crumbs to have both calipers seize is is unlucky​. Good that the were both fixed under warranty tho, kinda lucky in a way [emoji38]

It's just the sliders that sieze and not the main pistons tho right?

I havent had a close look at my front calipers but think they're big fixed units, sans sliders.

I also coated the rusty rear disk bells with some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 Rust Killer. It's the first time I've used it but it seems to work well, pals rate it.

I didn't have time for it to fully cure before painting, so I'll see how good it's own protective coating is ;)

Well, considering that they were both seized when I did the job, and the fact that IS calipers are basically crap, I am not surprised they were both seized.  I am just surprised that the technician didn't notice it until I drove off.

Another £800ish cost from a dealer saved.  Not that I would have had them changed if I was paying for it. :smile:

Yep, it is the slide pins that get stuck.  The pistons are fine, and they did check for uneven wear on my pads, but they were ok.

So that is 3 out of 4 of my calipers the dealer has replaced in the last 8 months.  Only the NSR one to go :smile:

I am not sure what the calipers on the GS are, but I am sure some knowledgeable member on here can enlighten us.  Hopefully they are fixed so you don't have to go through this hassle.

• Like 1

The rear calipers on the GS are on slide pins, and yes they do seize. The fronts are fixed, and have pistons on both sides of the disks so generally no problems there as long as the piston rubber gaiters are in good order.

I have an IS300H on loan from Lexus at the moment. I cannot say I'm that impressed. The internal noise level from the road is high in fact higher than the Prius I had possible in part due to the low profile tyres on the IS.

John. 

• Like 1