Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid battery query

geordiepaul2011

...As said on Lexus US site it's a safety feature for the lithium batteries.

Just a technical correction: the HV traction Battery on our cars and on most other hybrids is Nickel Metal Hydride and not lithium. NiMH cells are far more robust and cope far better with high current charging and discharging than any lithium batteries can manage.

But, yes, preventing them from fully charging or discharging is a deliberate feature to reduce Battery stress fatigue and so ensures a long lifespan. 

. (Reference to NiMH is at 2 minutes into the video)

Apologies for that. I knew it was one of them and I picked the wrong one.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I got to the bottom of my issues:

The 12v Battery was replace with a non-genuine one that was underpowered and wrong size.

This meant the system wasn't getting the required power (According to Lexus Stoke) so this was replaced with the correct OEM Battery and in addition the brakes were in poor shape, faulty sensors in braking system, badly worn disks and pads at front and had to also have brake fluid resevoir replaced... The brakes were shocking, (very firm brake pedal, but no servo assistance and really poor retardation). This made slowing the car a real challenge and according to the dealer, meant the regenerative system wasn't 'havesting' properly. This is why the car was struggling to go EV.

It's all fixed and dandy now. :-)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links