Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So i collected the car today and enjoyed the waft home back to north London.

The car had been washed so it was nice to see it in its true colour (Mica green), which it wears very well if I say so myself, especially with the cream (Suffolk?) leather interior which has really grown on me.  It helps that the interior is such a nice place to be and oozes class - the only thing that lets it down IMO is the 'quality' of the column stalk movement!

The drive home was very pleasant; i hadn't realized i had notched the selector into '4' instead of D, which once corrected dropped the rpm down by 6-700 making for an even more relaxed drive home.  I think my old S8 is on a par with the Lexus in terms of motorway refinement, although that wore quieter tyres than the ditchfinders the Lexus is currently wearing.

I really couldn't believe i was driving a 1k car, i can't think of anything that could complete for that kind of money.

Next steps:

Insert family members to check for size and acceptability (heated seats are a big sales plus with the Mrs)

Book in for fluid change (engine, gearbox and coolant) and maybe cambelt, water pump etc - brake and diff fluid were changed last year

Investigate whine from engine at standstill from >1200 rpm and once moving - the pitch changes with revs, irrespective of gear, hoping its one of the pulleys im about to change and nothing too serious.

Re-affix loose trim/cladding items x2 - are these stuck on combo of double sided tape and screws ?

Adjust tyre pressures and check wheel torque - slight steering wheel wobble at m-way speed

Maybe seek out some DHP alloys 

Thanks all to those who provided their input on my other thread, really very much appreciated.

Here it is, a whole lot dirtier than when i left the vendor!

Shirish

IMG_5716.JPG

• Like 3

Very nice. Can I suggest getting it tracked on a Hamilton machine for £40ish. They do a 'before and after' print out, so it is fairly idiot proof and you know it has been properly set up to factory spec.

Thanks all - the pics do hide a few of the defects, but there's not many. MLW - Ive not heard of a Hamilton alignment before only Hunter which KwikFit do, but yes a good idea when I get tyres changed.

'I really couldn't believe i was driving a 1k car, i can't think of anything that could complete for that kind of money.'

This is what we've all discovered!  Congratulations Shirish.  With the original LS400 wheels and that colour scheme it looks more sedate than the silver car but I'm sure you'll soon be wondering why you didn't get one earlier.

If you do change the wheels, there may be someone on here who'll have your old ones.  They discolour with age and use - brake dust oxidises the alloy and discolours them, and the only remedy is refurbishment or replacement (see before-and-after pic).  Yours look okay at the moment. 

post-35007-0-57938400-1346688780.jpg

Very Good looking car, Shirish. Same colour as mine and I also live in North London so might see you around.

My wheels badly need refurbishing and there are a number of 'supermarket car park' dents. When I can afford it

I would like to go for a 460. Can anyone tell an old duffer like me what is the point of low profile tyres/wheels.

Lower profile tyres allow you to fit larger diameter wheels without affecting the overall rolling diameter (much), which maintains speedo accuracy. Shallower sidewalls should also offer more resistance against deformation during cornering at the expense of (some) ride comfort - how much is dependent on how thin a profile you go to (55,50,45 etc).

They always look flat to me,  hard cornering with 45s and the wheel rim would be on the road.

My lad's got low profiles on his Audi, and it's like being on a dirt track bike, every bump whacking you up the barcelona !!

That's the whole point... they won't hit the road as the sidewall of a low profile is relatively stiffer due to the height reduction, the tyre moves less on the road when cornering and it improves the handling, turn in is sharper, grip is better, wear is reduced... this is against a higher profile tyre at the same speed....

Having said that, for the Lexus it's totally irrelevant, no one drives them at a speed that the lower profile tyre would make much difference, in normal driving you won't notice any difference apart from a far more uncomfy ride...

The 400 was designed for 16" wheels and IMHO it is horrible with anything bigger, just takes away what is good about it, even 17" wheels feel wrong......

I once tried some on my old 400 but people kept laughing at me... can't understand why....

25246160010_large.jpg

• Like 3

Peter

Totally agree with your comments on changing oem spec on Lexus cars

The research and development that goes into the car is exhaustive and the best solution to all the variables is what you get at the factory gate if low profile tyres were the best solution they would have low profile tyres when you bought the car from the showroom.

The constant pressure to so call upgrade these cars is created to sell the after market product that some young designer knocks up on his or her computer sticks it on a 3D printer and tells us its the best, without knowing the first thing about the technicalities that make up all the telemetry the suspension and the comfort factors that originally went into the design of the original wheel.

When I first got my Mark 1 and it was being serviced at the Lexus dealership which in those days was Toyota/Lexus a salesman approached me trying to sell me a set of  16 inch wheels from a  new model sale that had been upgraded with chrome effect finish  wheels, the mark 1 had 15 inch wheels,the techy that looked after my car went ballstic and tore the salesman off a strip citing everything I have mentioned in this post.

Treat these cars with the respect they deserve and the car will repay you with years of unrelenting service, mess with them at your peril.

Regardless of any argument about handling, ride etc, being altered by low profile tyres, the massive disadvantage, for me, is the lack of protection from our appalling roads.

Too easy to smash a wheel on a water filled pothole, and yes, I do speak from bitter experience!!

• Like 1

Totally agree with what Michael says........I visit the 'land of my fathers'  3 or 4 times a year and usually bring the 460 with me. The first thing I notice is the state of the roads. Even the Lexus is unable to float over all the potholes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links